The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]There are nine other 5MVers referenced directly or indirectly in the text.[/quoteost_uid0]

Got 8. Can't find the other. And this was without cheating, but with a little collaboration--Derek didn't know these.

[quoteost_uid0]The hooded man and the cow are [iost_uid0]not[/iost_uid0] among them, though when I first thought of the former he was going to be a cameo. Â I hadn't decided who by the time I changed my mind.[/quoteost_uid0]

In that case, it disturbs me that I had a guess (for the hooded man, not the cow).[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I guess it's okay for you Taya. You're new. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]OOh! I'm all shiny and sparkly! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-23-2003, 04:18 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="MmeBlueberry"][color=#000000ost_uid0]It disturbs me that I had a guess (for the hooded man, not the cow).[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Really? Who?

If you mail me the eight you know, I'll tell you the ninth. I suspect I know which one you missed.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey! There is no barganing in this game!! :P She already has Derek to cheat with. :P[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I got only five :S[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="MmeBlueberry"]Got 8. Â Can't find the other. Â And this was without cheating, but with a little collaboration--Derek didn't know these. [/quoteost_uid0]
There is at least one pair of references that come one right after the other.

I'm pretty sure I got all nine, but I lost count when I was reading it because I was cracking up so much. :smile: Guess I'll have to go back and recount. Not that that will be a chore, mind you.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]There is at least one pair of references that come one right after the other.[/quoteost_uid0]

That's actually where the one I missed was. Sometimes you people scare me. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay, two days after the "we'll announce tomorrow," here's the cameos. Or at least, the ones I know.

Part 1: "Purnell" is the real last name of FatMatDuhRat and "Aki" is his dog "Kia". The NYC locale should also have tipped off anyone who has been around the boards at the same time as FMDR.

Part 2: As previously established, "Akili" is Nan's real name. (And no, it's [iost_uid0]not[/iost_uid0] Alkali.) The clue there was that she was described as "mysterious," as in "Nan the Mysterious Romulan."

Part 3: The "Baron" is Celeste, because that's her last name. The clue there was the Baron's dog, "Bernie," since Celeste owns a Bernese Mountain dog. (As anyone who's been around the forums for a while well knows.)

Part 4: "Windham" is saxamaphone; his real name can be seen on any of his fivers.

Part 5: "Colonel Saxon" is MmeBlueberry, a.k.a. Amanda Saxon, a.k.a. Amanda Dean. The hints there were many: the strawberry patch (not blueberries, since this is the mirror universe), Derek's comments about the Colonel being a woman he'd like to meet, and the comments about Colonel Saxon and marriage.

Part 6: "Greg 'Soon' Thaid" is an anagram of "Things Are Good." That one was probably the hardest unless you suspected it was an anagram.

Part 7: Ask Zeke. I have my own guesses but I don't know for sure.

As for the next part -- does anyone want to take a shot at naming all the worlds sleaped too?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh yes, now I get the last one too. It's so easy when you know how to think.

I didn't get any of the others, except of course Nan, and I suspected Celeste was either the first or the third.[/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Part 7: Ask Zeke. I have my own guesses but I don't know for sure.

[/quoteost_uid0]

I strongly suspect that Obadiah O Kwon is another anagram, in this case for Wonko (The Sane). "O" is described as insane, just before he falls into the canyon of Saar (sorry, couldn't help it).[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay, two days after the "we'll announce tomorrow," here's the cameos.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ahem. After the "we'll announce tomorrow, [bost_uid0][iost_uid0]I think[/iost_uid0][/bost_uid0]."

Sa'ar is correct about the official S7 cameo. Anyone got all nine unofficial ones yet?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The five I got:

[color=CCCCCCost_uid0]Standback
Sa'ar Casm
Catalina Marina
Merlin Missy
Andy Taylor[/colorost_uid0]

[Inviso-texted by Zeke][/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yay! I got both of my guesses right too!

And as already quasi-noted, I spotted all nine "official" non-cameo mentions in that last installment. (I'm still considering whether I should bother to piece together any unofficial, that's-really-stretching-it mentions for more people. )[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]Sa'ar is correct about the official S7 cameo. Â Anyone got all nine unofficial ones yet?[/quoteost_uid0]
In that case, what's with the "Obadiah"?

I've got 7 and possibly 8 so far (and no, I didn't cheat):

[color=CCCCCCost_uid0]mudshark (muddy ground with sharks), Andy Taylor (Andy the tailor), 8 of 12 (the FBI agent tally), Sa'ar Chasm (Saar canyon), Catalina Marina (duh), Merlin Missy and Standback. Â And I think there's a vague reference to NeoMatrix but I'm not sure (the part about instantaneous brain downloads).[/colorost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Also in 7-maybe-8 territory, with something that might be really stretched to make nine.

On worlds sleapt to, the running count I kept adds up to 27, so I must have missed a few.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 11:25 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Do'h.

Nothing to see. Move along, people.

Are you still here?[/colorost_uid0]

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-24-2003, 11:26 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I [iost_uid0]think[/iost_uid0] I got all nine.

The NM think is just a coincidence I think. The complete list should be (in order of appearance) -
mudshark
MarilLena
entei
Andy Taylor
8 of 12
Standback
Sa'ar Chasm
catalina marina
Merlin Missy

I can't think why no-one else picked up on the Pokemon poster.

EDIT: Corrected the mis-spelled manes.[/colorost_uid0]

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Administrator

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]In that case, what's with the "Obadiah"?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sometimes a name starting with O is just a name starting with O.

Report cards: Catalina's five are all correct, Kira has the seven sure ones right and the unsure one wrong, and PHJ does indeed have all nine but misspelled one (as did Catalina). Those who didn't spot the two Ki missed on first reading aren't likely to find them at all -- there's a little specialized knowledge required.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]PHJ, my list is the same as yours, except for the fifth entry, which didn't even occur to me. That last, really-a-stretch guess I mentioned above was going too far, I've decided.

At least I nailed all of the official ones.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, and about the world tally... I didn't actually count to make sure mine brought it up to 30, so mudshark's 27 may well be accurate. We'll have to see the list.[/colorost_uid0]