The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Default A new Trek series

...yes, you read that right.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

Is it too early to call dibs on the pilot?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

This may well be the way "television" will go, from centralized cable and satellite access providers to each "channel" selling access individually online.

Not having been impressed with the franchise's direction since the turn of the millennium, I'm not really excited. (But then I'm not excited for the SW film either.) If something pretty good comes out of this, I'll be happy to get excited then.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Heheheh. Nice try, Gremlin, but I called dibs on the pilot before it was announced.

(No, really.)

Anyway, I'm tentatively excited about this. As I've mentioned in newsposts, I'm baffled that Paramount didn't capitalize on the (equally baffling) success of the movie and make a new show five years ago.

Beyond "woo, Trek on TV again", however, it would be foolish to say anything at this point. We know literally nothing else. How excited I get will depend on things that won't be decided for a while yet. Above all, it depends on who's behind the new show. If they don't keep at least a little continuity with the Roddenberry era -- make Rick Berman a consultant or something -- I will go in with much less emotional investment.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-03-2015, 01:17 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I reserve all further judgement until I get an answer for the "original universe or Abrams-verse" question.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:06 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Agreed. We really don't know anything until we know that.

My guess is original, by the way. The announcement specifically mentions that there's no connection to the next movie, and while that could still be true of an Abramsverse show, I think stressing the point tells us something about Paramount's current feelings. They really expected better results from Into Darkness -- maybe they're just going to finish the trilogy and write it off.

(Also revealing: the planned line of Abramsverse novels was scrapped. Pocket Books has stuck with the original timeline.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 AM
Long fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
They really expected better results from Into Darkness -- maybe they're just going to finish the trilogy and write it off.
They just a few weeks ago renegotiated the actors for a fourth movie. So we're getting at least another after Beyond.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:14 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
make Rick Berman a consultant or something
No, no, no.

Zeke, I know how fond you were of the Bs, but Berman and Braga are burned out on Trek. We need fresh blood. We need fresh minds, people who are not going to the same well of storytelling tricks (time travel paradoxes) over and over, people who can create a character and allow that character to grow and change in a realistic fashion, people who are not obsessed with big-breasted pouty-lipped wasp-waisted women. (Yes, Jeri Ryan can act, and quite well. Let's be honest; that's not why she was hired.)

I don't care if it's Roddenberryverse or Abramsverse or Cotoverse or "let's pick a well-written novel off AO3 every week and do that"-verse. But not the Bs.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Long fellow

Traditionally, the way new producers of Trek show continuity with the Roddenberry era without arousing any of the Bermaga hatred is by hiring the Okudas.

Since Enterprise ended, hiring out the Okudas' aura of legitimacy has practically become a cottage industry.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Heheheh. Nice try, Gremlin, but I called dibs on the pilot before it was announced.

(No, really.
Rats.

Hey, Zeke, does this chloroformed cloth smell funny to you?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 PM

So I wonder how much hatred Zeke will have when I say that the announced show runner co-wrote the story that introduced "antimatter radiation"...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gremlin View Post
So I wonder how much hatred Zeke will have when I say that the announced show runner co-wrote the story that introduced "antimatter radiation"...
and he also wrote...

Flesh and Blood
Workforce
Bride of Chaotica
Barge of the Dead
Course: Oblivion
Empok Nor

and "Company Man," widely acknowledged as the best episode of Season 1 of Heroes.

So, lots of funny, moving, powerful, character-driven episodes. I didn't watch Hannibal or Pushing Daisies but they've gotten a lot of love. He also noted in an older EW interview that he'd love to cast Captain Angela Basset and XO Rosario Dawson.

I'm happy with what I'm hearing so far. Who knows — we might even get a series regular who's gay and not stereotyped, who just has a normal life and it's not the focus of the person's characterization.