The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Actually, that pisses me off too. I've owned the original Warcraft for years and not been able to find a computer dumb enough to play it. And my current computer won't play Warcraft II. I think someday when I have some spare change I'll try to track down an old, slowass computer to get my old PC gaming fix. And with Vista's lack of BC as well, I'm thinking I might have to hold onto this machine as well upon the next upgrade.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Yeah, but DSs don't play original or Color Gameboy games.
Don't worry Nate, I have a Colour Gameboy already. Just wish I could get Pokemon Yellow for a decent price (yes I'm lame).
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Well, what's decent? I paid ten bucks for mine. Somehow it semicrashed, which meant that the game wouldn't boot, but Pokemon Stadium could still get Pokemon out of it. Weird part is, R/B/Y seems solid-state, but G/S/C has that atrocious button battery that dies out after seven years.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I doubt that. I've replaced the batteries in several original game boy cartidges. The game I've had the longest though (Link's Awakening) hasn't died yet. It's sorta variable. But Nintendo didn't start using solid state in those until the DS, I think. Maybe the GBA, but I doubt it.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM

You have? Wow. I've read the online instructions for that, and it still seems a bit complicated and risky.

I still wonder why they couldn't remake GB and GBC games for Virtual Console and you could sent it to a blank "Virtual Console" DS card that's designed for them. Since the DS doesn't have a Z80 chip (see my Gameboy DS rants on other threads for the significance of this) you'd have to emulate all of the games, but it must be doable. If the price in Wii Points is proportional to the age and sophistication, it'd probably end up something like original GB games for 300 Wii Points, GBC for 500, right? Plus dozens of games could fit on a card, no doubt.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Putting old Gameboy games on VC is totally doable. They recently added support on there for Neo Geo games, which weren't available at launch. So adding another system should be easy peasy as well.

Blank DS cartridges though? Not gonna happen. Nintendo consistantly goes out of there way to make their games on media that only they have access to. They don't want people to rip their stuff, or put out non-Nintendo approved software, etc. It's why the N64 didn't use CD-ROMs, why the GameCube and Wii use a proprietary optical disc, and why the DS uses nonstandard flash cards.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Well, not "blank" exactly. It'd have a sort of framing program for the Gameboy Virtual Console games. No doubt it'd have some form of security lockout in place to prevent anything except the Revolution that you specifically link to it (i.e. only Revolution number XXXX can communicate with DS number YYYY). I only say that it has to be a card because I don't think that a DS has any onboard memory, does it? Then again, what if the Gameboy games were stored on the Revolution and you could remote access it with the DS if you're in range? Those old games are so small that you probably could remotely play it in real time. It'd be only a step above the e-Reader, wouldn't it?

"easy peasy?"

Rewriting the VC to accept and transmit games from a new system is the least of our problems. It's getting it to the DS safely that's the problem.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Actually, the DS does have a bit of onboard memory. Unfortunately, it whipes clear every time you turn the system off. The memory is used for stuff like single card multiplayer, where somebody with the game transmits a small part of it to the other person's system, so they can play together without two copies.

Incidently, it's also used for demo downloads like you see at Gamestop, Target, etc. Which is coming to the Wii in the nearish future. A channel where you can download DS demos that'll stay on your system until you turn it off.

I guess in theory you could do something similar with old Game Boy games. The sleep mode for the DS is very efficient, so if you didn't mind having to play it and only it on your system until you beat it, it should be doable. Don't see it happening, but certainly feasable.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Well, what if you could tell your DS to synch with your Revolution to update the save files before you turn off the DS? I'd imagine stuff like Tetris high scores would take a mere fraction of a second to synch, while Pokemon might take a minute or so.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Well I'll be damned...

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM

I'm just ahead of my time. Hey, but look at Scottendo!

Scottendo: Or they could just let me play my GB and GBC on it?

The High Tech Super Game Boy also sounds cool, but you gotta admit, with the size of TVs today, the resolution would be HORRIBLY crude.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Well in any case, it's not something I'm overly concerned about. I'd much rather play games from cartridges on their original system than download them via some virtual console service. I only make exceptions when I don't own the console in question. Not a big fan of paying for games I already own.

Oh, and to answer a question several posts up, it's actually pretty easy to add a battery to a cartridge. Just pick up the correct bit (which I had to do through a specialty store online who is STILL sending me junk mail). Unscrew the bit, crack out the battery, and ducktape a new one back in.

Easy peasy.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM

I'd almost rather they had come out with a GBA cartridge that had Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal all on it. No doubt they'd all fit. Maybe it could even use Pearl and Diamond as a second-party trading partner for trading evolutions.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
At least the 360's hard drive is removable
So is the PS2s.... it's just nobody has one.

I was going to say "With an axe!", but as you can see I have not really restrained myself from doing so.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 PM

So Sonic is officially a member of the Brawl crew. That'll be neat, but I still think that his talents aren't suitable for a small platform format. That is, unless you could have him do the old "moving so fast he can hit you a hundred times from a hundred different angles in a second" routine, which I doubt.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
So Sonic is officially a member of the Brawl crew.
Holy mother of god, in the high heavens above, in the name of all the lord, gee whizz, sweet buddha, spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska...
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM

(blink blink) That's random...

Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

...i like Sonic, alright. Whats wrong with a love between man and blue hedgehog?
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Burt; 10-29-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM

(blink blink BLINK) Ahem. Moving on...

So I just read the ad for Guitar Hero 3, and I was wondering: How do the wireless guitar controllers work?

1. The guitars interface along the same bandwith as a regular Wiimote, essentially making them a substitute.
2. A Wiimote hooks onto the back or something, making the guitar a mere extension akin to a Wii Wheel.
3. The guitar uses a reciever that attaches to a Gamecube port, akin to a Wavebird.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
How do the wireless guitar controllers work?

1. The guitars interface along the same bandwith as a regular Wiimote, essentially making them a substitute.
2. A Wiimote hooks onto the back or something, making the guitar a mere extension akin to a Wii Wheel.
3. The guitar uses a reciever that attaches to a Gamecube port, akin to a Wavebird.
4. None of the above, though 2 is closest.

The guitar hero guitar (seen here, note location of Wiimote) is an extension that you plug the wiimote into, like you would with the nunchuck. It's not a wii wheel where it's just an elaborate piece of shaped plastic that doesn't actually do anything. Instead it plugs in and plays like you would expect, just with the wiimote attached as well.