The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I inserted a gene into bacteria to make them glow fluorescent once. Maybe they're trying to train us for exciting careers playing with fish.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh yes. Unfortunately transgenic animals are not yet approved for import/export/sale by the FDA, even as pets. So, no-go for glow in the dark fish in Singapore yet.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-11-2004, 06:37 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oo, glow-in-the-dark fish. Â I had lots of fish when I was a kid -- I'd get four of them, name them after the Fantastic Four or the Beatles or something, and take care of them until they died, then repeat the process. Â Several of my fish were neon tetras. Â I thought that was so cool, having glow-in-the-dark fish... of course, I was too young to realize this wasn't something that occurred naturally.

Fish kind of suck as pets, though, considering how short-lived they are. Â Not as short-lived as the seven crickets I kept in a small container and didn't think of feeding, but that's another story....[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]We had a grasshopper once. it was a realy big one that either me or my brother caught in the yard, we kept it in a peanut butter jar for some three months, then the jar was gone, i dont know if it died or someone let it out. :lol: That was how i learned that incects molt :lol:

(Watches as yet another thread vears hopelessly off topic :lol[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Seriously, what topic?

This would be the one thread that [iost_uid0]doesn't[/iost_uid0] have a particular topic to mutate. :eyeroll:[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Reminds me of the ROTW. (Rat Of The Week, a pet that lasted exactly six days - until my mother returned from holiday and threw a tantrum about it. Luckily, I didn't lose any money on it.)

Of course, my passion for small furry mammals may stem from the fact that we once owned two guineapigs, both of which became increasingly big and fat without any apparent loss of speed or agility. How I could tell? From trying to catch them after their bi-weekly "free strolls" in the garden pen.

And yeah, the topic is pretty much sunk. What was it about again ?

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm positive I've heard about someone making a transgenic hamster or something that expressed an enzyme (beta-galactosidase) to make it blue all over.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well it was originaly for general discussion of the site, not that i or anyone else for that matter cares. Just making an observation [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm positive I've heard about someone making a transgenic hamster or something that expressed an enzyme (beta-galactosidase) to make it blue all over.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I remember something in stem cell research circles about glowing green mice...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 01:09 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Katy Jane"]We had a grasshopper once. it was a realy big one that either me or my brother caught in the yard, we kept it in a peanut butter jar for some three months, then the jar was gone, i dont know if it died or someone let it out. :lol: That was how i learned that incects molt :lol:[/quoteost_uid0]
Unpleasant, but at least you had the sense to have only [iost_uid0]one[/iost_uid0] grasshopper. Â I collected seven crickets while visiting relatives in Kazabazua and brought them home in a big jar. Â I was about eight, and it honestly didn't occur to me that I ought to feed them. Â (You'd think it would at least have occurred to my parents....)

When we got back to London, which was where I lived at the time, I found out we had crickets there too, so I added one to the jar. Â It was bigger than the others, I noticed. Â And then I noticed something else. Â I didn't have seven crickets anymore. Â I had five.

When I woke up the next morning, I had three, plus the big new guy. Â The latter jumped down the sink later that day when Mom was washing the jar. Â By evening, I had only one cricket, and my parents told me it was time to let him go. Â So I did. Â I'll never know how he made out in a town of bigger crickets, but at least he was no longer forced to [iost_uid0]eat them[/iost_uid0]. Â (I hope he didn't continue to out of habit....)

I don't know how well I understood what was going on at the time, but looking back on it now, [iost_uid0]boy[/iost_uid0] does it make my skin crawl.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I don't know how well I understood what was been going on at the time, but looking back on it now, boy does it make my skin crawl.[/quoteost_uid0]

It's a cricket-eat-cricket world.

I once caught a copper-tailed skink (an Australian lizard). I put it in a little margarine tub in the backyard, and gave it a way to climb out and in. Oddly enough, it declined to crawl back in.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The lightning bugs we use to catch use to do that...

"Mommy, Why were their five lightning bugs last night and now there are only 2?"

"Well they must have ecaped."

"But how..."

:lol:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Nan"]I remember something in stem cell research circles about glowing green mice...[/quoteost_uid0]
How about monkeys with fingernails that glow green?

And as for short-lived pets-- one word: spiders. I'm obsessed with catching spiders whenever I see them. I've kept about five so far. Two last year: Anna, who ran away, and Mr. Morden, who died after I apparently fed him a poisonous worm.

Then earlier this month I caught two spiders in a row and my dad caught a third. The first two I caught (Aragog and Shelob) are now dead. The third (Ari Ben Zayn) is still alive, but not likely for long because I have nothing to feed it with.

And if you that's weird, consider this: after my spiders die, I don't throw them away. I pickle them. In alcohol.

Yes, I have jars of dead pickled spiders sitting around in my room.

Scared of me now? ::devil smiley::[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Remind me never to go to Singapore. :dead:

At least not until they get the inevitable real-life horror movie out of their systems.

[iost_uid0][color=redost_uid0][bost_uid0]NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD PICKLED SPIDERS![/bost_uid0][/colorost_uid0][/iost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]As long as we are on the subject of strange pets, my brother once caught sevrial sunfish and kept in a big tank in the yard for the summer, they were fun, because if you threw a fly in the tank they would practly jump out of the water to get it.

My favroit animal to catch was (big surprise :lol frogs. but we never tried to actualy keep them we just let them go again in an hour or so.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Gatac"]Reminds me of the ROTW. (Rat Of The Week, a pet that lasted exactly six days - until my mother returned from holiday and threw a tantrum about it. Luckily, I didn't lose any money on it.)[/quoteost_uid0]
Had any rats since? We're on numbers five and six at the moment (aka Josie and Lotus).

And a suggestion about the book idea - why not release compliations of fivers and such in an ebook form? That way people could have complete seasons on their computers without having to save every single fiver manually which would be rather time consuming to say the least.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Had any rats since? We're on numbers five and six at the moment (aka Josie and Lotus).[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]No; likewise the guinea pigs have gone (given to a local zoo) because we felt we couldn't care for them any longer - a few years ago, it seemed like *everyone* in the family was going through a lot of stress, and the prospect of caring for pets was something we considered impossible then. We haven't tried to start anew ever since.

As for me, well, I guess I'd like to try a rat again when I have a steady job - I quite liked ours the week we had it...

Concerning the book, I'd definately be in favor of something like that, but be advised that I currently lack the funding to obtain books other than Spycraft RPG supplements, which eat my entire budget as of now...

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 03-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, strange pets...

When I was seven or eight, I had a praying mantis as a pet. I kept it in a box and fed it crickets, grasshoppers and butterflies. I used to collect butterflies, and the ones I considered not pretty enough to put in my collection, I just fed to the mantis. It devoured them... there were only a few little pieces of wings left in the box...

And when the mantis died, I buried it... and a year later, a big pink apartment building was built exactly on the site of its grave. It is now officially the insect with the most impressive tombstone monument ever,

Zeke, are you sure you didn`t have a mantis too? It is a ferocious insect, believe me, and many people easily mistake it for an ordinary cricket or grasshopper...

My butterfly collection is still here and intact, by the way... they`re all pinned with needles on the cardboard, 20 or so of them, and displayed on the shelf in my living room... they are not pickled, but surprisingly they haven`t decomposed at all after 13 years...[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 03-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]they are not pickled, but surprisingly they haven`t decomposed at all after 13 years...[/quoteost_uid0]

That's because there's nothing to decompose. They're all exoskeleton with a few squishy bits on the inside, which nobody will miss once they dessicate.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Butterflies are the only thing my cat Sasha can successfully catch and kill. Unlike Fatty--who once left the top half of a hummingbird on the carpet--she's not very good at being a cat.

One year, when there were many, we kept finding savaged butterflies, often still alive. Either she neglected to kill them or they managed to get away despite being incapable of flight. Probably a bit of both.

Little psychos.[/colorost_uid0]