The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Star Trek: No Subtitle

It's finally arrived. I'm not really an opening night guy, so I'm gonna see it on Tuesday (tickets are cheaper). But despite my overall lack of enthusiasm for the project, I look forward to seeing it. I don't think going back to TOS and recasting it was necessary, and I'm still bitter about ENT being cancelled, but that doesn't mean I won't give the new movie a chance.

I'm betting several of you guys did go on opening night. What did you think?

(Please put anything spoilery in spoiler tags. If you're not sure if something's spoilery, it is.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 05-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Well, in reading and watching reviews from various sources, including the Angry Video Game Nerd, I get the impression that it's okay as long as you're not a rabid Trekkie. And of course I am, so of course I hate the very idea. I'll probably wait for a movie rental, or watch it for free on campus.

And I will always call it Star Trek 11. No matter how much Paramount hates the idea, they really don't have a leg to stand on. "Star Trek" is the name of a franchise, not any one film or series anymore.

Oh, and I recommend Confused Matthew's video review of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsdmB...e=channel_page

Also his written review of the movie: http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Star-Trek.php

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
And I will always call it Star Trek 11
It's nae use, Cap'n, I cannae reach the controls!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
It's nae use, Cap'n, I cannae reach the controls!
The ship is... cold... and drafty. I complain, but... nobody listens.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

I went. I saw. I conquered?

Yes, this is like watching the LotR movies. So much of it is "but no, that's not right, because in the original it was like this" that I can't quite enjoy it. Not that I think bad of it, but I need to see it again now that I know what to expect. Then I will be able to fully enjoy it.

Zeke, there's a good ENT reference in the new movie. It's a Porthos joke. Not quite chili-level, but close.

I'd offer a spoiler comment, but [spoiler] doesn't seem to work and I don't feel like trying to find another way.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'd offer a spoiler comment, but [spoiler] doesn't seem to work and I don't feel like trying to find another way.
I'll be damned -- spoiler tags aren't native in vBulletin. I've found a mod and set it up.

Spoiler: Let's see if it works... 

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

The acting impressed me, the plot did not.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Yeah, gotta say, the guy who did McCoy was awesome. Good accent, good everything. I especially liked his response to Kirk's "who does this guy think he is?" (about Spock), which was "I don't know. But I think I like him."

The movie was rather Star Wars-esque, from the floating drills to the bottomless ships to the ice planets with weird creatures. There's even a self-extending sword. It was probably a better Star Wars movie than the last two actual ones. Oh wait, the villain's ship looked like a Shadow vessel from B5. So I guess we borrow from everyone.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

By far the most Star Warsish thing in the movie was the Don't click or hover over this link if you want to avoid spoilers thing. And that's the part that pissed me off the most. Way to frak everything up, JJ.

That, and while they did invoke that famous narration at the end, it didn't match the tone of the new movie at all. You make a brainless action flick and you stick an optimistic exploration of the cosmos message at the end? I call bullshit.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!