The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 03:10 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Ah, good old MC, eh? I started a game last week over at the TrekBBS.

A nice move, Vallium, but it leaves you vulnerable to a Blenhiem Double Switch (a preferred move, you may recall, of Sir William Edgemont), such as...

Neasden. :wink:
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Hmmm. I don't know what the frell is going on here. I may actually be forced to go and read the rules. :shock:
Old 09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Tricky, very Tricky...

However, I do believe that move was also one that the experienced player Eleanor Ravenscourt found was easily foiled by a move to...

Green Park!

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

You BOTH forget the Viscount Poddesby-Potter's-Bar maneuver, which easily bypasses both your attempts. And so (Along Penegar's Rules of Digression) move to
Tower Hamlets!
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:50 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

You're of course assuming that I was using a Blenhiem Double Switch. Perhaps, you see, I've been using a Black Maria Gambit - so named for its frequent use by the London Metropolitan Police Mornington Crescent Team (nicknamed Bow Street Irregulars), particularly at the 1957 All-Counties Police Championships, where led to a decisive victory over the RUC team, and gained them the cup. Of course, it's fallen into disuse in recent years - it's not really considered trendy enough anymore, despite being a real clincher in the right situations, but I like to break it out every now and then. Like now, for instance.

Stratford.

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-16-2004, 01:28 AM
The Nth Doctor

Send a message via AIM to SCMoll

A game of Mornington Crescent! I'm always up fro that! (And there's one at TrekBBS, PHJ? I must find that, too.)

The Black Maria Gambit? Give me a break. There's a good reason it's fallen into disuse-- it is easily trumped by Cross-switch Turkish Play, which not only places everything beyond Barking on the District Line in a state of spoon, but nullifies the starting conditions set up by Valium, allowing me to make my first move at:

Camden Town
Old 09-16-2004, 03:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Well, you see, while that may be true, I also can take advantage of your move (through the 63rd rule of Multiple Cross-switching) by taking a triple cross-switch along the Victoria, Northern, and Jubilee lines, then proceeding (according to the Zone 1 rule of spooti-anerisms) along the Waterloo & City Line to...

Bank.

Xeroc Central

Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 PM

Ho-ho! A Double switch?
Well, I'm afraid that puts you out of Shunt, Pointy!
And now Xeroc is in Nip, thus making my move....
Finchley Park.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
The Nth Doctor

Fah! I am sure you thought that a complicated, and devilishly clever move, but you are most certainly not aware of the 1987 extension to the High House Rules of Brittany, under which you have made a most grevious error. With both the states of nip and spoon currently active, you see, the Ninth Subjugate Appendix (3rd revision: 1996) allows me to create an antithetical norm across the game board to:

Perivale
Old 09-16-2004, 06:37 PM

You forget, sir, that that effects to give me the ability to Spon-Deflect, from the 1274 competition - it was the winning move. I therefore move you, along a congression, to
Victoria change for Vladivostok HA!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:04 PM

Of course, normally, being in a state of nip and spoon would prevent one from this next move by the simple law of restructuring in the event of more than one possibile state of diagonal cross-switched rail lines in the event of a 5MV X Years ago event on that day when a player has moved along the Victoria line in the previous move and the river Thames was referred to in the starting rules, however, I can redistribute the effects of nip and spoon to the East London and Metropolitan lines to create an effect of spork along the Victoria line, through the effect of the second law of Marble Arch and tube directives, thereby shunting Valium away from his original plan, and foiling both PHJ and Scmoll by a move to...

Leicester Square.

Obviously.

Xeroc Central

Old 09-17-2004, 12:54 AM
The Nth Doctor

By the Supreme Pontiff! How can this be? Both of those moves were so obvious, and yet I utterly failed to anticipate them and develop a counter-gambit. Well played, sirs, well played.

What I should have done was go to Hanger Lane, not Perivale, but I didn't think of, now did I? :roll: And now with the Victoria line in a state of spork, my options at this point are severely limited, since the Emergency Declaration of the 1802 Penmaenmawr Tournament doesn't allow biverse transduction, and that's really the only way out of this situation.

However, if we examine closely the rather vague wording of the Emergency Declaration of the 1804 Tywyn Tournament, we see that it does not quite anticipate the effects of the Laws of Marble Arch -- which were quite kindly activated by Xeroc -- thus allowing me to implement the Fourth Law, temporarily disengaging the state of spork for the next five moves. Such an implementation leaves exactly one biverse transduction open to me, so I shall have to play:

Bounds Green
Old 09-17-2004, 10:00 AM

Then I shall play The Tube-Uningression Halpley Double Ruff, moving us to Llafairpwthgwyngeth!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripysox
Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play!
Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:

Also, I hate it when people invite me to play a game, only saying it's simple, but won't explain the rules. :roll:

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina_marina
Seconded. I read the "rules", but I don't get it. :roll:
Well, I...couldn't actually be bothered to read them :wink:

I know. I'm lazy :wink:
Old 09-17-2004, 05:57 PM
The Nth Doctor

Well, I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent did a fine job of explaining the idea. Personally, I did pick it up by watching the game in play. But if you really want to know, you could always PM me or something.

And as for my next move: Osterly

Ordinarily, I'd explain this as usual, but this move is do devilishly complicated and clever that it would take quite a bit of writing, and justice still wouldn't be done, so I'd just advise you all to check out page 71 of the Integrated Mornington Crescent Rulebook: Obverse Variant, 9th edition, 4th printing (German translation).
Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 PM

Well, Cat and Alexia, if you come to the IRC I'm sure I could explain it to you, as I couldn't possibly do so here.

Also, SCMoll, I also believe the Wikipedia Article does an excellent job of explaining at least the general aspects of the game, which is why I provided a link to it in my first post in this thread.

Also, a very clever move, and an excellent interpretation of the rules to get out of a sticky situation, and to maintain my advantage over the Eastern portion, (now that the effect of spork has been temporarly disengaged) I must call up a rather, no - extremely obscure gambit played by the late Sir Edward Paddington the III in the famous Monington Crescent game of 1383, where he singlehandedly defeated three consipring opponents attempting to create negative effects and remove his advantages, naturally, the full discussion of the moves would not fit in such a small space, so I will suffice it to say...

Canonbury.

Xeroc Central

Old 09-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Huh. A child's move! I counter both of you along Stacklady's Congressional Pentagram Of Illumin - pushing both of you into states of Loop and Hoop, respectively. I therefore move to (along the Catholic themes)
Southwark, change for Lambeth North
Old 09-17-2004, 08:32 PM

LMFAO! :lol: *holds sides*

Ok, I just read the thing Xeroc posted :wink: And re-read the thread from the beginning. :lol: :lol:

LOL! This is a cool game! You people are nuts :wink:

Now, I'm just a beginner at this, but I believe I can quite sucessfully block you by changing lines and platform skipping over to Embankment :mrgreen:
Old 09-17-2004, 09:02 PM

Interesting choice. But a move to Aldgate, I'm afraid, scuppers that.....