The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 07-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, to bring the Science Fiction subforum back to life, I`m starting The DS9 thread. I`ve been watching the show on TV every day (except Sundays) since January, so I have lots on my mind. Mostly high praise. So, from now on, this is 5MV`s official topic for DS9 fans to debate, discuss, comment, observe, praise, glorify, moan, whine, complain, nitpick etc. etc. about every conceivable thing related to the one and only [iost_uid0]Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)[/iost_uid0].

[imgost_uid0]http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/0/1/66-12361.jpg[/imgost_uid0]

DS9 @ Startrek.com
DS9 Episode Guide

Well, for start, you could say how (and why) you started watching DS9, and what are your favourite episodes. [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 07-24-2004, 02:27 AM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

[color=#000000ost_uid0]ok well I started watching it in the middle of the third season (?) I'm not sure but it was before Worf around the first part of the Maquis. Anyways I watched it because it was Trek. But I didn't have cable at the time and the only channel it came on was channel 3 and it was really fuzzy and came on at like 11: 30 at night on a Sunday...so back then I was in Jr. High/High School, so I had to be up early on Monday. (Aren't you glad you asked!) anyways, so I always tried to set my vcr but it was always too fuzzy to watch. Anyways, so I've watched off and on for awhile. I always wanted Odo and Kira together... (well duh, I'm a shipper) ok so I'm actually watching the way of the warrior part 2 on Spike tv right now! YAY for Spike TV and their love of Trek! I have now seen most of DS9 without having to buy/download the episodes! woohoo! Ok enough about me...what about you?

Post Edit: ooopsie! Favorite Episodes you say? erm...
"Necessary Evil", "In the Pale Moonlight" (Avery Brooks really shines in this one), "In the Cards" (just love it), "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" (I laugh every time about Sisko's desk and poor O'Brien), "Doctor Bashir, I presume" (Just because of the whole shock value of it), "The Baseball one", the Finale, "His Way" give me time I'll think of more!

Sab, DS9 fan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]All right, I'll bite.

I started watching DS9 back when it first came out. I was an avid TNG fan by that time and DS9 had a lot of hype behind it. So I watched "Emissary" and was blown away. That's still far and away one of my favorite episodes, I continued watching DS9 through high school and my first year of college, but DS9 came on late at night and I had a flaky VCR that wouldn't tape correctly and I had a life so I wasn't always at home to catch it. So I missed parts of Season 5, almost all of Season 6, and all of Season 7. I was not able to catch up on those seasons until recently when I bought the seasons on DVD.

My favorite episodes are always changing, it seems. Actually, what's really interesting to me is that any episode I five improves my opinion of the episode. I guess in the end it's the episode that gets the last laugh... or something.

My least favorite thing about DS9 is a certain type of fan I run into from time to time. This fan thinks that DS9 is the only good Trek and all the others are worthless (with the possible exception of TOS), yet at the same time feels that DS9 is the most neglected Trek and is constantly being snubbed in favor of the other Treks. It's not those views that bother me, but it's this certain attitude that comes with it, a certain feeling of victimization that really bugs the crap out of me.

For an example of this type of attitude, make sure to read Zeke's Thoughts on the Death of DS9 Horizons.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules
DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules
DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules DS9 rules[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 07-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Outside looking in

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0]My least favorite thing about DS9 is a certain type of fan I run into from time to time. This fan thinks that DS9 is the only good Trek and all the others are worthless (with the possible exception of TOS), yet at the same time feels that DS9 is the most neglected Trek and is constantly being snubbed in favor of the other Treks. It's not those views that bother me, but it's this certain attitude that comes with it, a certain feeling of victimization that really bugs the crap out of me.

For an example of this type of attitude, make sure to read Zeke's Thoughts on the Death of DS9 Horizons.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]YES! Oh my dear LORD, that's all they do over at Startrek.com. "Meh, DS9 rules! Give it a chance even though we don't give any of YOUR Treks half of what we're asking! Give it a chance or DIE! Because Worf will come and kill you where you stand!"

:madder: <--That's for all 'o them.

And a "BITE ME, FREAKS!"[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'll just post here after I've got a computer, preferable with sound, and time to watch an episode or six. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]DS9 came on after voyager at 11pm ever weeknight. But I could never really get into it because the nights that I managed to be able to stay up for it were few and far between, so I never had any idea what was going on. When I was finaly not exausted every night anymore, they'd cancled both my Voyager and DS9. I never saw it again for two years. During that time I got deeper and deeper into the Star Trek world. 5MV took over, and my role playing took off. I missed DS9 because it was the only series i'd never seen. So for Christmas last year, I forced my parents to buy me the DVD sets. I started watching with seasons 5 6 and 7. Downloading 3 and 4 off of supernova.org Then, when Spike tv started their run of DS9, I watched the whole week long marathon without blinking and caught up on the episodes i'd missed.

Yeah, that's my DS9 story. Now TNG is another story....[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:33 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm not quite sure what to say. I watched it on it's original (and only) run on the BBC, and I certainly enjoyed it, but for me it didn't really come into it's own until around season five. Before that it was like much of TNG - I could take it or leave it. I remember liking "Emissary" the first time round I saw it (I think it had to be taped - I was in the Cub Scouts at this stage), but for some reason I didn't like the ending of it very much, though I can't remember for the life of me why.

I guess I regard it as I do all the other Trek series really - it was Trek in its own right, inhabiting its own universe that happened to have some similarities with TNG, and by proxy TOS before that.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Outside looking in

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0] Downloading 3 and 4 off of supernova.org[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hmm... know anyplace we can get Voyager or something? XD[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, DS9 was always "The Trek that was just there" for me. It's not that I don't like it, but I could never be bothered to track down episodes I missed. (Whereas I've seen everything from TNG and Voyager - well, except for 11:59 which had gotten such a bad rep before I got my hands on it that I never dared watch it.) It's got scores of good episodes, but it doesn't come together for me...I don't care about the main cast. Yeah, that's it. Man, I love Garak as much as the next guy, and DS9 did some good stuff with Worf and O'Brien, but they were kinda recycled, you know? I grew up with TNG. I *care* about these characters. Picard gets borgified, and I suffer with him. (Besides, Steward is a hell of an actor.) On Voyager, it was the Doctor, but I always liked Tom and Harry, too.

So, I stand here before you and say, "You know, DS9 *was* a 90s sci-fi series." Probably not a very popular opinion, but that's how I feel about that.

(Perplexingly, the only Trek video I own is DS9's Past Tense. Kinda Morissette-ly ironic, hm?)

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]When I first heard of and watched DS9, I was kinda disappointed. This was, I think, mainly because I was so used to TNG, and watched so few episodes, that I never really gave the series a fair chance. To this day I still retain the vague opinion that the first few seasons of DS9 were weaker than the later ones. This opinion may be true, but the fact is that I've never watched more than a few episodes from the first three seasons; this opinion is based entirely on the fact that during the first few seasons I wasn't watching because I thought it was boring, and then I started watching and got completely drawn in.

What I really really loved about DS9 was the great ongoing story arcs (again - the Dominion War, 4th season onwards) that let it achieve a complexity lacking in other Trek series. I got to know and love the characters, and the conflict and plotlines seemed to me so real and alive. I love the sense that this episode may have repurcussions that only turn up five months from now, or that this episode makes perfect sense to me [iost_uid0]because[/iost_uid0] I know the events preceeding it. The characters were likewise complex and evolving; Garak, Dukat, and Weyoun are all fascinating, and the main cast was full of characters with their own little storyline and points of interest.

A lot of these reasons are why I'm very very very eager to get my hands on B5 - it seems to be all this, only more so.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 07-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Outside looking in

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I know when I first saw DS9, I really hated it. I didn't like the characters and found it incredibly boring. But then I was able to give it a second chance when it came to Spike, and found that it... wasn't so bad. And then... it was... good. I mean, I saw one episode where I had no idea what was going on, but it was the end of the episode and somebody was dying/dead (I can't remember) and Kira was talking to him. I found the whole scene INCREDIBLY moving and was near tears. So, I'm not a faithful watcher of DS9, but I can safely say that I like it. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Wigging out

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I first saw DS9 back in 1997 on a German satellite channel. Since it was dubbed in German, I barely understood anything and since it was season 1, all I saw was a bunch of humans, Bajorans and Cardassians standing around and arguing. Also, the cast looked kinda... silly to me, Especially Sisko and Kira, with their horrible first season hairdos. So, without understanding any dialogue, I wasn`t particularly impressed with what I saw.

Thankfully, several years later I managed to get some episodes on CDs. The first episode I saw was The Changing Face of Evil. Heh. My friend had CDs with only season 7. So I got myself this episode, to see if the series is any good. And of course it was good. It was [iost_uid0]brilliant[/iost_uid0]. I mean, episode 20 of season 7... all the fascinating storylines and wonderfully developed characters in it... I was blown away. So I naturally got myself the entire season 7 (minus The Dogs of War and What You Leave Behind 1 & 2, unfortunately), watched it and absolutely loved it.

Then I saw season 1 and 2, and I also loved it. Season 3 didn`t impress me very much the first time... The second time I saw it, however, I loved it. Weird.

And of course, since the beginning of this year, I`ve been watching the entire series, almost every day... and I`m really enjoying almost ALL of the episodes. It really is THE best Trek series. The evidence is quite simple - the biggest number of great, interesting, compelling characters. And the fact it never ran out of steam, it was strong in season 7 just like in seasons 4, 5 and 6 (whereas TNG declined in quality quite noticeably in its own season 7...). Now, I love TNG, it`s fantastic, and TOS is adorable, and Voyager is the first Trek series I saw and I also love it and it will always be the "special" series for me, because thanks to Voyager I made a gruelling effort to obtain episodes of all the other series and copies of the movies...

...but DS9 is, in my opinion, definitely the deepest, most complex and simply the best Trek series. All of the main characters got an equal share of episodes to grow, and all of them used that opportunity excellently, plus the enormous number of marvelous supporting characters - Dukat, Weyoun, Garak, Martok, Kai Winn, Nog, Rom, Damar, Ziyal, Vic Fontaine, Eddington... and of course, the relationship between Odo and Quark, which is the most bizarre and fascinating "friendship" between two characters I have ever seen. Nothing beats Odo and Quark antics,

The best episodes... hmm... there are plenty, but offhand... there are, of course, the all-time classics - Duet, Emissary, The Search, Trials and Tribble-ations, In Purgatory`s Shadow/By Inferno`s Light, Call to Arms, Favor the Bold/The Sacrifice of Angels, Far Beyond the Stars, In the Pale Moonlight (definitely the best episode of the series), Tears of the Prophets, Shadows and Symbols... and presumably the finale is also great (I just haven`t seen it yet).

Along with them, I was quite impressed by Dax, Paradise, The Maquis, Tribunal, The Jem`Hadar, Life Support, Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast two-parter, To the Death, Body Parts, Little Green Men, Apocalypse Rising, Looking for the par`Mach in All the Wrong Places, Rapture, For the Uniform, In the Cards, Waltz, Statistical Probabilities, The Magnificent Ferengi, His Way, Chimera, Badda-bing Badda-bang, Treachery, Faith and The Great River, Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges... and of course The Changing Face of Evil, my first one...

There are two things, however, that I cannot forgive DS9. First is a certain episode called Ferengi Love Songs, which is simply the most boring and pointless episode of all Trek, and second is the terrible underuse of the Romulans. Was it really necessary to make three or so Ferengi episodes and not a single Romulan one in seasons 1, 2, 4 and 5? Okay, In the Pale Moonlight, Shadows and Symbols and Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges were great, but still... definitely not enough Romulans.

Okay, I`m done. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 07-25-2004, 01:34 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Fuyu Ginga"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Hmm... know anyplace we can get Voyager or something? XD[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Same place. suprnova You'll need the program Bittorrent. Just google it and download the program. It's not spyware or anything, I promise. Bittorrent is like, 10 times better than Kazaa or anything else.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 07-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Outside looking in

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Fuyu Ginga"]Hmm... know anyplace we can get Voyager or something? XD[/quoteost_uid0]
Same place. suprnova You'll need the program Bittorrent. Just google it and download the program. It's not spyware or anything, I promise. Bittorrent is like, 10 times better than Kazaa or anything else.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I've heard of BitTorrent before... saw it while I was looking for some anime episodes. I'm highly considering DLing it now...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Man in the iron mask

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I only got Enterprise's third season by BitTorrent, pretty much downloading as soon as someone had encoded the episodes and made them available. I can't live without BitTorrent...mainly because it enables such big downloads, so people can offer entire runs of comics or DVDs. I can safely say that there's 5 DVDs lying around here I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't seen some episodes on BitTorrent and decided to give them a chance.

The main advantage of BitTorrent is that the incredible range of things you can find there. Trek's among this range, but there's so much to see and find - well, suffice to say, it's the chief reason why I have a 250 gig harddrive.

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:05 PM
5MAwwwwww

[color=#000000ost_uid0]any idea why it takes so long to download? I've never done this kind of thing before and I want to see Real Life (from Voyager) again... I had it on tape and for some reason it got lost...(this is such a tragedy for a P/Ter). Believe me I will buy season 3 DVD's but I just want to see Real Life again like now! anyways, I tried downloading it last night but it was taking a long time and I had to go to bed...so I am going to try again today. I have a cable modem so normally it doesn't take that long to download.

Thanks to anyone who can help. PM me if you think it's too complicated to describe here...or email me...whatever.

Admiral_sab at yahoo dot com

POST EDIT:

Um DS9 is awesome! (I wanted to stay somewhat on topic! )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Man in the iron mask

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, BitTorrent is more of a trickle. The trick is to pick out what you want and just leave it running. The software automatically resumes, so if you need to switch off, just pause and start again when you power up again. But it works best on a computer that's always running - mine goes 24/7, and I've got about a dozen things downloading at the same time, and although it's pretty slow, it's quite reliable. Most of the time, those Torrents *will* finish, even if it takes some time.

Er, on topic...Past Tense is good, because it's the only Trek episode where a Starfleet captain gets to rack the pump on the quite cool Franchi SPAS-12 shotgun. And because it leads up to what is possibly the best inside joke in all of Trek in Little Green Men.

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 07-25-2004, 07:08 PM
5MAwwwwww

[color=#000000ost_uid0]oh ok Thanks, Gatac! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me! lol ok so I can download a few at a time...good.

Also, it did pick up where I left off last night. I do like to shut my computer down at night because of hackers and stuff... but I leave it on all day. Plus I think it's good to shut a computer down and let it rest... am I the only one?

On Topic: I also liked the episode Past Tense because of Kira's bandaid on her nose. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Wigging out

AAAAAAAAAH! You`ve all gone completely off-topic!

I am going to kill you all! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The topic is: Deep Space Nine - Favourite Episodes. And why.

:twisted: