The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 PM
You just activated his Trek card

You know, it suddenly occured to me, Trigun is sort of sci-fi, right? Okay, it's a western/steampunk anime, but close enough for government work, right? Would anyone else like fivers of that? My friend loaned me his DVD set, and that would be totally cool. Anyone else think that'd be nice? I think I could do justice to it.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Stellar

Send a message via AIM to mark726 Send a message via MSN to mark726

I was always a bit confused by Trigun, to be honest, but I would definitely count it as sci-fi. Then again, is 5M.net really limited to sci fi? I mean, it does have The OC, which is hardly sci fi.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 PM

I don't know anything about the OC, but you do raise a good point. How do you define sci fi? I suppose you could claim that there are only a few discrete realms of fiction, such as fantasy, sci fi, historical fiction, etc. If we define sci fi as any fictional world where elements that aren't found in the "real world" are based on science (or at least pseudoscience), then Trigun definitely qualifies. Pure fantasy contains elements that can't possibly exist, at least given our current understanding of nature. We can imagine interstellar travel, cybernetics, infusing photosyntesis into a humanoid form, etc, as being possible so Trigun is sci fi. Pure fantasy contains elements that we don't even TRY to explain. Magic, leprechauns making pots of gold out of nothing, designing guys like Juggernaut that clearly defy the laws of physics, etc are fantasy. Imagine it as the difference between Batman and Superman. We try to explain the "science" of Superman, but we all know that it's blatantly impossible. Batman, however, is supposed to have everything about him be scientifically plausible, if nothing else. Batman is sci fi, Superman is fantasy.

Comments?

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

I always thought of Trigun as an action/adventure/sci-fi anime. It'd probably qualify.
Not that I've ever seen it or anything, but from what I've heard.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZer0
...Let me revise that. 'On the grounds that Zeke doesn't watch MegaMan NT Warrior'. Better?
'Fraid not! I watch it when I get the chance. I don't like some of the changes made for the show, especially Cross Fusion, but it's cool just seeing the game characters on TV.

Anyway, I'm not so iron-fisted as to keep for myself any show I might ever consider fiving. If you want to try an NT Warrior fiver, I'm all for it. Just don't do the pilot. (And I will be doing the games, so I'm afraid no one's getting those off me.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-28-2006, 03:07 AM

I liked NT Warrior well enough, but to me it had a few problems:

1. They jumped into the N1 Grand Prix WAY too fast. I think the network people were afraid that the first episodes were boring and that they were losing viewers. The reason for that is:
2. The new episodes came too randomly for people to keep up. For myself, once I saw that there were gaps in my knowledge from episodes that I'd missed, I got turned off. Face facts, you can miss twenty episodes of Pokemon and still be on the right page when you come back, but miss three episodes of NT Warrior and you get completely lost.
3. They started to rely on flashier and flashier tricks to keep the viewers hooked. One thing that turned me off about Digimon Season Three is when they chucked the Digimodify stuff (a twist that I particularily liked) to return to "normal" digivolution. What's wrong with filler? It helps to tell us about what all these people are like. I like minor characters, too!
4. They could never maintain a regular broadcast schedule. This is a common complaint of mine for Kids WB, they keep shuffling the shows around as if "New Time!" will draw us back. I tape the whole five-hour block and watch what I like. It doesn't matter when it's on, if I like it I like it and if I don't then I don't.

If anyone wants to five NT Warrior that's okay with me, but I won't be doing it.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

'On the grounds that I have seen the whole series and Zeke hasn't'?

I wasn't even going to try the games. Since I haven't played the first one and all, and I don't want to restart mine, and the only thing I ever took notes on was the ProtoSoul scenario in Blue Moon. (...what?)

1. The N1 arc was okay. I preferred that they got the tournament out of the way quicker so that the rest of the series wasn't bogged down with it.

2. I never had that problem. They were aired more consistenly up here when they were on (plus I've downloaded the subbed Japanese series, which IMO is much better).

3. Style Change and Soul Unison (I will NOT call it Double Soul) were from the games, as were Program Advances. Cross Fusion wasn't, but it's cool and the henshin sequences are fun. And there are so many minor characters in the later series it makes my brain hurt. Even I don't know them all.

4. Yeah. Teletoon was pretty regular.

I wouldn't five NT Warrior. After watching the original it would kill my poor brain. I'd five the original Rockman.exe series based on the subtitles, and that way there'd be no splicing or anythng, and I could refrain from the obvious dubbing jokes. I could still use the English names, just bill the other ones as 'lost episodes' or something. ('Cause they cut out like three in Canada, and twelve in the US.) I might take a crack at it sometimes soon, as I have the whole original, but Axess has only been half subbed.

So maybe. Probably.

...yeah.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM

Hey, I never said that the N1 Grand Prix was bad, I just would've liked another dozen episodes before it. More of Lan getting used to be a hero, a little more Chaud foreshadowing, less of this "Oh, you just got your Navi, so now we want you to be a cyber-superhero!" Oh, and more fish jokes! You can't go wrong with fish jokes.

On a sidenote, anyone else slightly put off by the smoothness of the animation? Everyone looked like they were shrinkwrapped or something. Or maybe that's just me.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Suuuuuper genius

*pokes avatar* Nur. No, not really. Made it easier to change the hair color. *likes this color for various reasons, but mostly because of how it makes him look, especially in that screencap*

Fish jokes are awesome. And I would've loved more Chaud foreshadowing, too. But I think they cut out two or three episodes before the N1. In the original, it wasn't until the tenth episode that it started.

Spoiler warning for post-Axess and anything you haven't seen: Full episode guide here.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Wow, I didn't know we had another EXE fan here at the forum (besides me, Mav, and Chaud/Itachi). And I heard from another one by email after I posted that last Top 10 list. Good to know these references aren't going to waste.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I'm a NT Warrior fan, never played a Battle Network game or anything like that. Kinda weird actually. I'm a big Bob and George fan, but the only Megaman game I've actually played is X1, but even then I gave up REALLY fast. My own gaming tastes run more towards Mario and Zelda. I've looked into getting a Battle Network game, but as a poor former college student, I have to be careful where I spend my gaming dollars. I'm still saving up for a Gamecube and Pokemon Emerald.

Of course, what with the Revolution (if I can help it I NEVER say Wii) coming out I might have to jump right to that, even though that remote looks silly. Hilarious, really. "You'll only need the Wii remote!" "Okay, you can put the remote on its side like a normal controller!" "Never mind that, you can attach a joystick dongle to it!" "Oh, wait, just attach this real gamepad to the bottom!" "Hey, please, come back! Don't use your Gamecube controllers, please! We'll give you a real controller, we promise! Oh, and lots and lots of chocolate! Just come back, pretty please?" Can you see the hilarity? The system isn't even out yet and they've already started pandering to us.

But to return to the topic at hand (whatever that is ) I'm not sure what it'd take to make NT Warrior fivers. After all, I've created DS9 fivers off of transcripts since it's been years since I've seen those particular episodes, but could you find MM: NTW transcripts anyway, much less five off them? I get the feeling that there'd be a lot more visual jokes to be found in cartoon fivers that aren't included in transcripts.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Suuuuuper genius

No, I'd use the subtitles, and I don't get sick of the original episodes.

(Zeke, you did notice the 'Bob and George Forever' in his sig for a while? For shame.)

BN and X aren't even remotely similar, so if you like RPG-type thingies, you'll probably like BN. (I can't call it the Wii either. It just feels wrong.)

There's five of us! Yay! Now we can form our own Cross Fusion team!

*grabs ProtoMan before anyone else can*

Old 08-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
(Zeke, you did notice the 'Bob and George Forever' in his sig for a while? For shame.)
Keep your darn shame. I did notice, but liking B&G doesn't equate to liking Battle Network. It doesn't even equate to liking Mega Man. How many Red vs Blue fans have never played Halo?

Quote:
BN and X aren't even remotely similar, so if you like RPG-type thingies, you'll probably like BN.
For that matter, we know Nate's a Pokemon fan. BN isn't Pokemon, but there are strong similarities that make it likely a fan of one will like the other too.

Quote:
There's five of us! Yay! Now we can form our own Cross Fusion team!
Cross Fusion? No thank you. I'll stick to operating. None of the risks and all of the credit, baby!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM

Yeah, big webcomic and anime fan, but there is little overlap there.

Thanks for the help, Maverick. Informal poll, who would be overjoyed to have Nintendo swap the name back to Revolution?

Just a little plug for Dave Anez and all his buddies, if you haven't been to bobandgeorge.com yet, go now, or rather when you have six hours to kill. It'll be well worth your time, I promise you.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Suuuuuper genius

True. *should've remembered RvB. hates Halo, loves the funny* Keep in mind I am frequently up until 4 am and as such have little-to-no sense.

Ooh! Me! *waves hand* Much prefer Revolution.

Yes, true. I like both. *pats Ampharos*

Aw. *prefers Cross Fusion* Then again, that may just be because I like the pretty sequences. And the damage doesn't bother me. Makes the hero look more the part n' such.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:55 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Quote:
Much prefer Revolution.
Aww! What's wrong with 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'?

Anywho, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about, so I'll get to my own, thread-related question;

*ahem*

Hey Zeke? Remember the idea I had awhile back? You know... 5 minute House?

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 AM

I like BN too, as well as the other MM series (though I suppose I can't say about the new ones that haven't been released/translated yet). Zeke, I know you like the original, X, and BN, but what about Legends and Zero?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

I adore the Zero games. In fact, the MMZ fiver will probably come before I'm done the X series, because I have lots of ideas. With Legends I'm handicapped by not having a PSX yet, but the games look pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGodMan
Hey Zeke? Remember the idea I had awhile back? You know... 5 minute House?
Never heard of it. Aside from the fiver you sent. I'll get on that when I can; sorry for the wait.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:09 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Never heard of it. Aside from the fiver you sent. I'll get on that when I can; sorry for the wait.
I second the motion for "Five-Minute House."
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Regenerating like a Phoenix

I third that motion, and I remembered that I have a half-done House fiver on my hard drive. BUT -

About RvB. The miniseries Out of Mind seems to be more focused on action than comedy (I counted exactly one joke in Part 2, but I couldn't understand the beginning stuff on the PA system), so I did an experimental fiver of the first part, which in its original form is less than 3 minutes long. Should I release it here and get your opinions and stuff?

*saves it in Notepad lest something crash*

*Notepad crashes*

Day-umn, I love copy/paste! *phew*
Church: I'm just worried, man, who knows if this stuff is contagious? For all we know Caboose could be next. Wake up tomorrow morning he's throwin' up, runnin' a huge fever, next thing you know he's bleeding out of his eyes 'cause his internal organs are liquifying. And I'm gonna be the one that has to hold his hand while he screams himself to death. That's not gonna be any fun.
Caboose: I'm gonna go take a vitamin.