The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My parents are in the process of evacuating. The fire is approaching the outlying subdivisions. Some homes have basically been abandoned as the firefighters retreat towards more settled areas. Dad was confident that he'd be back tomorrow and that there was a lot of room between the fire and us, but he didn't spare a lot of time from packing.

Most of my friends are now gone to evacuation shelters, and the areas under Evacuation Order seem to be growing exponentially. Half the city is now on Alert.

This is getting scary.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sa'ar... that's truly freaky. Hope things get better :sends anti-fire vibes in his way:

:shivers:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wow, all the news reports were just saying this are hunky-dorry...and of course were wrong...

I hope it rains around you with no lighting very soon, and that the winds die down, and that everyone gets to live safely in their own homes.[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]all the news reports were just saying this are hunky-dorry[/quoteost_uid0]

Up until a little while ago, it was. The fire jumped the firebreak at about 7:30 last night (Thursday). Overnight was pretty calm, according to the Firewatch website, but there are some homes confirmed lost.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh Sa'ar, that sucks. Hope everything works out for you. If you want i'll have my lover get the British army in there for ya. He's got connections in more places.. ::shakes her head::

Good Luck though. I'm sure things will be fine. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just seeing some video of this on the Jim Lehrer news report. Yikes! 8| This really looks nasty.

Stay near plentiful sources of water.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm actually 400-odd kilometres away in Vancouver, and feeling damned helpless.

At last report, the fire has jumped the guard near another subdivision, and whole sections of the front are being abandoned. Â Some firefighters are cut off in a park adjacent to the lake. Â If they can swim, they can be rescued by boat.

Edit: 6:30 PM. General retreat. They're falling back all along the line and abandoning whole subdivisions. My neighbourhood is now being threatened, and there are reports of the fire getting down onto the flats and out of the hills. The evacuations have spread, and my last IM contact has left home.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 08-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Saturday update: My house still stands. The main thrust of the fire clipped the south end of my subdivision and destroyed 68 homes, but I live at the north end. There are still hotspots on the flanks that could flare up and threaten it, but I think the worst is over.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wow. On the news, the whole thing looks like some bonfires, but when you hear or see people actually talking about it, actually affecting them, it really hits home. I hope the fires continue to die out.

I guess here in BC, Alberta, Washington and Oregon, everyone hopes it stops raining so everything dries up so the mosquitous go away, and then everyone hopes it rains so that the fires will die down. It would be funny were it not so serious and distruptive.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Fire == bad. :shudders:

Isn't there some way to seed clouds so that it rains, and rains really heavily? I hope the fires die down really soon. Gahh.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-24-2003, 03:50 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Good for you, Sa'ar (though not so good for those who lost their homes.) I know what you mean about feeling helpless -- I watched the riots in South Central L.A. following the acquittal of the cops in the Rodney King beating, knowing my brother lived in the area, and that I couldn't do a damn thing.

Opium, I'm guessing you haven't lived in a place where fires like this can happen. These are [iost_uid0]way[/iost_uid0] bigger than bonfires, and extremely unpredictable.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Isn't there some way to seed clouds so that it rains, and rains really heavily?[/quoteost_uid0]

Zeke said the same thing. This process requires that clouds be present initially. The whole Interior of the province has been sunny and bloody hot for over a month, with absolutely no rain at all. The only clouds in the sky are smoke.

They allowed the media into the burned area. My house was nowhere near it, and it looks like the fire has moved on. The devastation wasn't as bad as I'd expected, and quite a few homes survived. Even when they did burn, they were usually surrounded by green grass, and a lot of outlying shrubs weren't touched. I only know one person who lost their home.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Calvinist

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, mudshark, that's what I meant: for a while, the news was showing the fires dying down, and what they did show looked like bonfires, not major forest fires. The coverage only changed after some serious damage was done. I've been through Kamloops during fire season, I've seen the damage and the smoke and the seriousness of the situation, but I havent had to actually experience it, and I'm lucky for that.

Hopefully they will make some more Mars waterbombers, maybe even bigger ones (though the current ones are bloody huge) and THEN you'll have some clouds in the sky...well, okay, planes, but they will have water in them.

*hopes for rain*[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So is everyone safe? I have no news of fire over here. I didn't even know there were fires until this came up.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Calvinist

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I hear the fires were getting a little better, then a lot worse, but that's just from the news. Although, I know someone going up to the interior, near Kelowna for a family thing, and they were told to bring dust masks, so that is not a good. sign. I hope everyone gets out okay...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:39 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So the news is being really informative as usual? Ask the person you know what's happening when they come back, hey?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Calvinist

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yep...and hopefully Saar Chasm will have some good news about rain soon![/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 04:52 PM

[quoteost_uid0="Opium"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, mudshark, that's what I meant: for a while, the news was showing the fires dying down, and what they did show looked like bonfires, not major forest fires. The coverage only changed after some serious damage was done.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, okay -- I understand now. Please disregard previous interruption.

I'd imagine the dust mask advisory is due to the amount of smoke and ash drifting about -- respiratory hazard for a lot of folks.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There have been a few days without strong wind, which means they've been able to establish control lines around 40% of it. No new homes have been lost since that horrible Friday when the fire rampaged through 200+ homes.

I know ABC News in Australia had a story about it, as did news outlets in New Zealand and Malaysia and local news organisations in the States. What really pisses me off is that none of the major news networks have showed the slightest interest. ABC had a short story, and MSNBC had a brief photo montage with voiceover in which they managed to completely mispronounce the name of the city. One of CNN.com's headlines was about Whitney Houston watching her husband get arrested. When did Whitney Houston get so fricking important that she makes headlines and one of the largest mass evacuations in North American history goes unnoticed.

Goddamn American media. This is one of the reasons the rest of the world thinks of Americans as self-absorbed and ignorant. Sorry for the rant, but I've had a harrowing weekend.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:28 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Australian News stations are so self obsessed. Even during Sep 11, all they showed was 'oh no, some australians died, and Ian Thorpe was in New York two weeks before it happened.'
Probably the only reason ABC had anything was because it's owned by the government.
And now with the Bali thing, it's all 'A football player was burned.' Nothing about the people who actually live in Bali getting killed. Except on SAFM.[/colorost_uid0]