The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 09-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kira here with the [iost_uid0]real[/iost_uid0] real update from yesterday: Five-Minute "A Night in Sickbay." Â This is one of those times where the fiver is way better than the episode... I know that's not saying much, given the source material, but still.

As if a new Enterprise fiver wasn't enough of a treat, there will be a fiver event starting tomorrow... in theory, at least. Â I must've looked cross-eyed at my wireless internet card today because it's slipped into a coma. Â It's working, somehow, but there's no sign of life. Â One way or another, though, there should be an update sometime tomorrow leading into a week of many fivers.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to antodav

[color=#000000:post_uid0]OK, well, I for one liked "A Night in Sickbay," (I thought it was the funniest episode since "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy")though I know most everyone else hates it, for whatever reason. So some of the jokes in the fiver I didn't really get. Overall though it was great, as usual. I probably couldn't have come up with a better one. Not that that's saying much...LOL

Hey, since you guys are so far behind with the ENT fivers, why don't you just open up Season 2 for guest submissions too? Since Season 3 starts next week, perhaps you could just focus on that so you wouldn't be so far behind anymore.

Antodav, puqloD Gav[/color:post_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think the reason for Zeke's exclusive gig with ENT is some agreement with... some other website whose name I don't recall at the moment, under which they both publish the fiver. And therefore... well, I could see why they want Zeke's work exclusively, and furthermore, guest submissions may not be as reliable (you see, a [iost_uid0]guest writer[/iost_uid0] might reserve an episode and not get around to finishing his fiver for eight months. Whereas Zeke thinks big, and does that with the entire series. )

On second thought, I think I'll leave the explaining to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

In any case - great update. More 5MENT! More upcoming fivers! And I really liked the ring of the phrase at the end -

[quoteost_uid0]One way or another, though, there should be an update sometime tomorrow leading into [bost_uid0]a week of many fivers.[/bost_uid0] [/quoteost_uid0]

I think I'm going to adopt it.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 09-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Three people, apparently

Send a message via MSN to Kristina Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Nice one, Zeke - the idea of a Decon Rubdown™ video with a client paying in unmarked quatloos was my favorite. Â
More fivers coming, eh? That means this coming week will be a good week![/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Archer: Ow! Phlox, what is that thing?
Phlox: It's a Pyrithian bat, known for its distinctive cry of "skrell." Help me catch it.
Archer: I didn't ask for its life story. [/quoteost_uid0]

*rolls on the ground, laughing*

Ah, too funny. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Porthos: Rufffff.... ruffffff ruffffff....
Archer: Why is he conscious for open-brain surgery?
Phlox: It's more fun this way.[/quoteost_uid0]
Heh. This was a great fiver. I like the fiver versions of both Phlox and Porthos a lot. Great stuff.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Phlox: Keep your distance from him, for now. But rest assured I'll be working hard on a cure all day during the commercials.[/quoteost_uid0]
Ouch!

[quoteost_uid0]T'Pol: Hello, Captain. What a fascinating coincidence that you have been present on the two occasions today that I've worn the least clothing.
Archer: Spare me your Vulcan observational skill. Let's argue while running on treadmills, whose speed will subtly indicate the intensity of the argument.
T'Pol: That will be very subtle indeed.[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol: :lol: Zeke was having fun with this one, I can tell.

[quoteost_uid0]Kreetassan President: (over the comm) Enough delays! We want Archer painted with a chainsaw and we want it NOW!
Sato: Calm down, sir. The captain promised to reply to you "soon."
President: He actually said the quote marks?
Sato: I don't know how either.[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol:

Very funny, all around.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-05-2003, 02:23 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000ost_uid0]On second thought, I think I'll leave the explaining to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Or, alternatively, you could leave it to me. (5ME FAQ)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]a week of many fivers.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]The Week of Many Fivers.
Yes this week will live on in our loar for centuries to come.

( )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000ost_uid0]OK, well, I for one liked "A Night in Sickbay," ... though I know most everyone else hates it, for whatever reason.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]On about the second watching, I also decided I liked it. Except for a couple of excruciatingly [iost_uid0]dumb[/iost_uid0] lines for Archer,
[quoteost_uid0]Archer: Good God, did I just say that?
Phlox: Oh yes. Yes you did.
[/quoteost_uid0]I thought it was quite funny. Just set your expectations a good bit off-center and let it sort of wash over you. It works.

Other bits I liked:
[quoteost_uid0]T'Pol: And the piano player stopped playing?
Archer: Are you going somewhere with this, Subcommander?
---------------
Archer: PUT SHOES ON! PUT SHOES ON NOW! I don't care if your shoes are on FIRE!
----------------
Mayweather: Um, may I --
Archer, T'Pol, and Sato: No.
----------------
President: He actually said the quote marks?
Sato: I don't know how either.
----------------
[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 11:36 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, I [iost_uid0]greatly[/iost_uid0] enjoyed "A Night in Sickbay." Â (I said so at the time, but that was at least one forum ago.) Â The concept should never have even been considered, but the execution was great. Â So those of you who've spoken up for the episode, you're not alone.

The concept, however, wasn't just bad, it was mind-crushingly bad. Â So bad that for all the fun I had watching it, I'd much rather it had just never happened. Â The Archer/T'Pol friendship had been carefully, believably built right up to that point, and now it's impossible to look at them in just that way anymore. Â It was a terrible mistake for the series to trade a realistic relationship for one with a trashy T&A side.

But it could be worse -- much worse. Â One of them could actually be in love with the other. Â As it stands, episodes like "The Seventh" that work because of their friendship are still possible. Â Romantic feelings on either side would kill that for good.

(As you can tell, I'm not an A/T'Per. Â Truth be told, the only ship I like much on ENT right now is Trip/Hoshi. Â As for T'Pol, I'd rather not see her with anyone, but I definitely know who I'd choose: Travis. Â [iost_uid0]That[/iost_uid0] would be genuinely original and unexpected.)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, I [iost_uid0]greatly[/iost_uid0] enjoyed "A Night in Sickbay." Â (I said so at the time, but that was at least one forum ago.) Â The concept should never have even been considered, but the execution was great. Â So those of you who've spoken up for the episode, you're not alone.

The concept, however, wasn't just bad, it was mind-crushingly bad. Â So bad that for all the fun I had watching it, I'd much rather it had just never happened. Â The Archer/T'Pol friendship had been carefully, believably built right up to that point, and now it's impossible to look at them in just that way anymore. Â It was a terrible mistake for the series to trade a realistic relationship for one with a trashy T&A side.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]At the time the ep initially aired, I recall commenting here on a pervasive surreal quality I thought it had. I find that if I consider [iost_uid0]ANiS[/iost_uid0] to be some sort of brilliantly absurdist bad dream with no connection to any other ENT reality, no problems exist.

Of course, the hardcore Continuity Weasels might have a problem with [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0], but I'll manage. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]It was a terrible mistake for the series to trade a realistic relationship for one with a trashy T&A side.[/quoteost_uid0]
The one good thing about T&A is that it's the first ship whose abbreviation is entirely appropriate.

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]I'd rather not see her with anyone, but I definitely know who I'd choose: Travis. Â [iost_uid0]That[/iost_uid0] would be genuinely original and unexpected.)[/quoteost_uid0]

That would require giving Travis lines... well, probably at least. Â (The possiblities where he doesn't need lines are a bad mental place and I'm not going there.) Â So scratch that. Â Personally, I've always like T'Pol/Trip. Â They remind me of early P/T, and that's a good sign.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]As for T'Pol, I'd rather not see her with anyone, but I definitely know who I'd choose: Travis. Â [iost_uid0]That[/iost_uid0] would be genuinely original and unexpected.)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Why not just save that one for the series finale?

Great fiver, but I've told you that already. The subtle "subtle" gag was my favorite. Quite subtle, that joke was. Subtle indeed.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Hello, John

Send a message via Yahoo to FatMatDuhRat

[color=#000000ost_uid0]This was one of the best [bost_uid0]ENT[/bost_uid0] Fivers yet, IMO, and not only because it used the word "soon" in such a brilliant (and familiar) way, but also because it used the word [bost_uid0]skrel[/bost_uid0] very memorably. Reading it made me want to jump up & shout [bost_uid0][iost_uid0]"Shabukala!"[/iost_uid0][/bost_uid0] for no apparent reason.

[bost_uid0]Archer:[/bost_uid0] I don't see why he gets her cheesecake and I don't.

That line was funnier than the entire frelling episode!

It's great to see another [bost_uid0]ENT[/bost_uid0] parody & I hope there are many more posted on the 5MV website [bost_uid0]soon[/bost_uid0]... or maybe I should say "eventually" instead?[/colorost_uid0]
Do you think neural clones go to heaven? --John Crichton, Incubator (EP#3-11)
Old 09-08-2003, 04:11 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Personally, I've always like T'Pol/Trip. They remind me of early P/T, and that's a good sign.[/quoteost_uid0]

Personally, I've never cared for soap operas.

Or dialup. I miss my high speed connection. Four days on malfunctioning dialup is about as much as I can take.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0][bost_uid0]T'Pol:[/bost_uid0] Trip? Who's Trip? Oh, [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0] guy... I didn't know he was a regular.

It could be interesting and original, but it'll need one heck of a buildup. Such as the two of them actually speaking at least once beforehand. It would need some work to make it believable.

As for Travis getting lines, rumor has it that in the season premiere he gets his tongue tragically ripped out, thus eliminating numerous plot holes, believability issues, and continuity loops for the rest of the series.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis