The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 06-27-2004, 03:58 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

This isn't the item I mentioned yesterday (I'm still waiting to hear from the author), but I [iost_uid0]have[/iost_uid0] got something for you. Here's the first new Cheeser in a while -- new to you folks, at least.

Back when I did that first [iost_uid0]The O. C.[/iost_uid0] fiver during the Cheese event, I linked to it at the Television Without Pity forums. (You guys know TWoP, right? Awesome, awesome site.) The fiver made a real splash there, so naturally I thought about doing more. This was during a period when I was having trouble getting my mental gears turning for ENT fivers; I figured I might as well be fiving [iost_uid0]something[/iost_uid0], and maybe it would get me back in shape. More to the point, I had hoped to do more [iost_uid0]O. C.[/iost_uid0] anyway. I think the show is (a) great, and (b) eminently mockable -- the best possible combination in a fiving target. (See also [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0].)

So in that period between Cheese Week and Enterprise "Week," I ended up doing two more OCvers. The first was a birthday present for a friend and fellow [iost_uid0]O. C.[/iost_uid0] fan (I'll pull it out on some other rainy day); the second was for a recent episode at the time, "The Proposal." I think my plan was a success, because it was shortly after the latter that I got back in gear with 5ME. A gear which, don't worry, I remain in -- the final four are very much in progress. But till then, hope you enjoy this.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-27-2004, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to antodav

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey Zeke, why do you like Television Without Pity so much? What I know about them I know from what's posted at TrekToday.com...they are responsible for all of the most viscious, scathing, pedantic, nitpicky, and outright cruel reviews of [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] episodes that I've ever seen. Even the best episodes from the show's first three seasons have not been spared from their vitriol. They despise [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0], are constantly mocking and ridiculing it, and are so filled with rabid hatred that they will find any reason--[iost_uid0]any reason at all[/iost_uid0]--to give any ENT episode a bad review. It's like they go into each episode with the [iost_uid0]intention[/iost_uid0] of finding fault in it, not even giving each episode a chance. Often times they have been the only site that DID give ENT episodes a negative review, and they're a big reason why I stopped reading reviews on TrekToday, which is biased against both [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]Voyager[/iost_uid0] anyway. What, in your mind, makes them classify as such an "awesome, awesome site"? To me they just seem like a bunch of disgruntled, lifeless fanboys with a chip on their shoulder and perverse DS9-nostalgia.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, first of all, my main use for the TWoP writeups isn't as reviews -- it's as reference material. I take notes as I watch ENT, but when I haven't seen a given episode in a while, Keckler's writeup is the best way to refresh my memory about what happened in what order. I've relied heavily on TWoP this year for [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0], along with [iost_uid0]The O. C.[/iost_uid0] and several of the Cheese fivers. It's also a useful source for [iost_uid0]Buffy[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]Angel[/iost_uid0], but the full scripts for those shows are widely available online, so it's less necessary.

As for TWoP's basher tendencies, you're right that the writeups aren't always easy reading for a sympathetic fan. The site as a whole is much more malicious than I try to be with 5MV, and they're quite up-front about that. But even at their worst, they're still not as vicious as a lot of the ENT reviews you'll find out there (Whettestone, I'm talking to you). More important, Keckler's reviews have changed almost [iost_uid0]miraculously[/iost_uid0] over the course of the season -- you could see the show gradually proving itself to her. I'd go so far as to say she's more positive than not about ENT now. Look again at her reviews from about "Twilight" on, and you'll notice her overall assessment of each episode is almost always good -- even "Carpenter Street" and "Harbinger," which I had trouble liking, and you know what a Polyanna I am for this series.

Finally, I completely disagree with you about Michelle Erica Green (TrekToday's reviewer). She's come a long way since her insane rants in [iost_uid0]Voyager[/iost_uid0] S7 -- she gave this series a clean slate, and though things were sometimes bumpy at first (can we say "Shuttlepod One"?), she came to respect [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0]. Her S3 reviews were among the most insightful out there.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Seth: Hey Ryan, I -- AAAA! Put your shirt on!
Ryan: If you'd knocked first I would have told you I was dressing.
Seth: Can I do that? Isn't there a rule about not knocking on glass houses?
Ryan: I think you've got your clichés crossed.
Seth: No, I'm sure it's bad luck. Like opening a ladder indoors or walking under a black cat.
[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Summer: See, with just a little work we can secretly turn Marissa's room into something out of the Martha Stewart catalog.
Seth: I like everything but the "we" part, in conjunction with the "work" part. Do I have to?
Summer: That depends on how much you like the "sex" part.
[/quoteost_uid0]

Bwahahaha

[quoteost_uid0]Summer: Ooooh, old yearbook! Let's dredge up your painful memories!
Seth: Hey, how come you're not listed here?
Summer: You're looking under Summer. I was still Spring back then. [/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Marissa: Hey! Where are you going?
Ryan: After Luke. He just drove off and he looked crazy with rage.
Marissa: How crazy? Howard Dean crazy?
Ryan: Jack Nicholson crazy.
Marissa: Okay, okay, we'd better follow him.
[/quoteost_uid0]

Jack Nicholson has the craziest face EVER!

[quoteost_uid0]Sandy: You're taking this well.
Kirsten: Well, I was pretty upset, but then I realized how to solve the problem: alcohol.
Jimmy: That logic has always worked for me.
Sandy: I don't suppose you know how to solve our liquor license problem with alcohol?
Jimmy: I could if we had a liquor license.
[/quoteost_uid0]

In conclusion, hilarious, Zeke. One of your best, and it`s not even Trek.[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 07-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I haven't been on schedule with reading new updates, but I [iost_uid0]have[/iost_uid0] read this one already. :eyeroll:

I wonder how that's possible... [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.