The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default January 31

The second community present, aka macro-update, is here... and I didn't call it that for nothing. Find something to hold onto, ladies and gents, because TJI just hit the big 47 -- and the eTrektion is back.

For the uninitiated, back in '04 I started This Just In's second multipart storyline. (The first was the Zuke saga, chronicled in issues 13, 19, and 20.) I'd been toying with some "X becomes new executive producer of Star Trek" ideas, and it occurred to me I could do them all at once. Two things happened that I didn't expect: one, the name "eTrektion" stuck; and two, several readers asked if they could run. Before I could control it, half the forumgoers were declaring their candidacy. Deciding not to fight a big surge in reader interest, I wrote the new candidates into the storyline (with the understanding that this is a story, not a real election -- I haven't even revealed who the voters are).

Then I dropped the ball, and I don't really know why. What I do know is that when you drop a ball, every day it gets harder to pick up. (I may possibly be straining the metaphor.) And so I haven't done anything with the eTrektion since September of last year. But the various "parties" are still around and have kept campaigning in their sigs, waiting for... well, this.

So read the article. Check out the eTrektion page, a work in progress. Bone up on the past articles if you need to, and stay tuned for more.

(Oh, and see if you can spot the hint to the final community present.)

Up next: Doctor Who!

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
We'd left our aspiring candidates to twist in the wind without getting any money out of them.
That's not the Paramount I know!

Quote:
Candidate Opium of the Morphine Party (a loose alliance of controlled substances) was in high spirits.
Nice.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Incredible!

The eTrektion is back!

That really is a macro-update!

Of course, that means I'm going to need to start campaigning again! :mrgreen:

Quote:
was instead only covered by a two-bit online birdcage liner that thinks crumply gray background images are the height of sophistication.
But they are!

Quote:
"So lock up your tribbles, folks! The eTrektion is personal. And this time... it's back."
*snicker*

Quote:
"It's too bad Threshold was cancelled, but at least it frees me back up for this. Uh, I mean, Threshold never happened and I was always doing this. And it hasn't been a year, either. And I didn't say any of that. Geez, now I know how my characters feel when I mess with their timeline."

Quote:
"We're all over this like mustard on chocolate," stated South Park co-creator Matt Stone. "Trey and I have even kidn-- built a superintelligent robot to help us come up with ideas. We call him AWESOM-O."
Mustard on chocolate?

Great TJI!

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Outside looking in

I'm still cracking up over "eTrektile dysfunction". :lol: :lol:
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Three people, apparently

Send a message via MSN to Kristina Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina

South Park, Manny Coto is God, and Pamela Anderson in a new series, eh? Hoo boy... actually, that last one's not too far off, I fear. Fun stuff, Zeke!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Bwahaha! :mrgreen:

Quote:
"When mistakes are made, sometimes it takes courage to admit to them, but I'm going to come right out and say it: it's your fault,"
:lol:

Quote:
"So lock up your tribbles, folks! The eTrektion is personal. And this time... it's back."
Nice

Quote:
"my fans in The Coterie have convinced me that I am, quite simply, God. As such, I don't see any reason to settle for second place when this show is part of a universe I created."
BABEL FISH!
:twisted:

And remember folks, vote Morphine for a Trek with temporal continuity! No more retcons![/quote]
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Dude! DUDE!

Quote:
This is not in any way a concession to the bashers, but I don't mind if they take it as one, because it'll really tick off that Zeke guy.
Always fun, as we know, especially if you're not a girl, but not yet a woman.

Quote:
According to party spokesman PointyHairedJedi, "We're not going to lie to you: if elected, we will rule tyrannically. This is also true of all the other parties, but we're honest about it."
This is actually only a partial quote - it continues "MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Honest to goodness, it's good to see that this is, like Trip, not dead ( ). And Doctor Who to follow? Sounds distinctly promising!
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 PM
You fived my battleship!

Wait, can there really be an eTrektion anymore? I mean, after all, when it started we didn't have all these other shows mucking up the place. Does this mean we're going back to our heritage? (Season 4 Enterprise)?

McCoy: Dammit Jim I'm a Doctor, not a... oh sure!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Is the Hawk-Man still a candidate? or did he bail at the Committe Of Expressed Interest stage?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Hawking's still in. Which is good because that's at least one candidate profile I don't have to redo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade, The Sane Commodore
Does this mean we're going back to our heritage? (Season 4 Enterprise)?
Let me put it this way: Yes.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
The Nth Doctor

Send a message via AIM to SCMoll

A W E S O M E

(I liked the John Byrne joke. And the Canada one. And the retcon one. And the Manny Coto one. And the George Lucas one. And...)

Also: Doctor Who?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

Coool. Since I appear to be the only person on the forum who is politically unalligned, I would like to hearby declare the canidacy of the Vote for Us and Maybe We Won't Assimilate You Party. Pending the approval of the almighty Zeke. As my running mate, I would nominate A Person, but he (she? I don't remember) isn't around any more. Then again, neither is HAL, that I recall, sooooo....

Possible slogan:

"After all, if you can't trust a pair of preadolecent kids on oppisite sides of the Atlantic, who can you trust?"

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

heh... you just reminded me of
Quote:
Pitt the Even Younger: "I smeared my opponent, bribed the press to be on my side, and threatened to torture the electorate if we lost! I fail to see what more a decent politician could have done..."

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e of pi
Then again, neither is HAL, that I recall, sooooo....
He had an appointment out at Jupiter, or possibly Saturn (opinion is divided on this point).
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e of pi
Then again, neither is HAL, that I recall, sooooo....
He had an appointment out at Jupiter, or possibly Saturn (opinion is divided on this point).
I heard it was an important merger he had to oversee
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

:twisted:

YAY!

Quote:
"The eTrektion's media coverage was negligible. What should have been a contest for the ages, touted on the front page of every newspaper in the land, was instead only covered by a two-bit online birdcage liner that thinks crumply gray background images are the height of sophistication.
Ouch!

Quote:
But NOW when the eTrektion was first announced, the fourth season had just ended and we were getting ready for a fifth. And none shall say otherwise. With me so far?"
Ah, timelines. Always malleable.

Quote:
There's only one real tweak that has to be made: 'These Are the Voyages' no longer happened.
YAAAAAA....erm, hehe, I mean, how tragic. I mean, what's tragic? Nothing happened here. Move along. What am I talking about again? :P

Quote:
Candidate Opium of the Morphine Party (a loose alliance of controlled substances)
You mean like...staplers? I don't get it. :P
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003