The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Read May 10 news update, which references http://www.faans.com/.

That's an interesting viewpoint, but I disagree with the assertion.

- With regard to Trek selling sex, it's my view that Trek has always sold sex. Those miniskirts on TOS don't strike me as probable attire for a starship. And as much as you can say "well, it was the 60s," The Cage had women in long pants. As for Troi, Dax, 7of9, and T'Pol, well, those characters have always been played up as being the pretty one that all the fanboys are going to obsess over.

- As for T'Pol's abuse, I don't perceive it as such. Sure, T'Pol has had difficulties in her journey, but Archer and Trip have got their own problems too.

- The further point about the relative underuse of Hoshi isn't specific to Hoshi. Mayweather is the most neglected character, then Hoshi, then Reed and Phlox. Really Enterprise has revisited TOS's Big-Three formula, and it works for it.

- Lastly, I find it interesting that he didn't like Fusion. Sure, T'Pol's rape was disturbing, but it was supposed to be. I thought the episode was well handled.

Anyway, it was an interesting read. Thanks for the link, Zeke.

Anyone else want to share their perspective?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]She's been raped, tortured, driven out of her mind at LEAST three times, infected with AIDS, practically shat upon by her own people, and turned into a crack whore.[/quoteost_uid0]
T'Pol is Chekov's grandma! :O I never knew Vulcan was settled by Russians...

I dunno. I haven't been keeping up with Trek lately, but I'm fairly certain the novels haven't been that mean to females.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Whatever double standard is there has always been there (well, at least since "Where No Man Has Gone before"). Even on the rape issue: Bad Kirk tried to rape Rand, Troi was psychically raped, and so on.

And unfortunately "Turnabout Intruder" embedded sexism in Starfleet culture forever.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think maybe in an attempt to get women to have more screen time, they went waaaaaaayyy

oooovverrr

board.

Crusher, Tasha, Troi, Dax, Kira, Ezri, Janeway and Kes all were well-rounded characters. They didnt need to overplay them. They were all pretty, yes, but they had OTHER TALENTS which were MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than their looks. Hoshie seems like an attempt to do this again, but instead she's simply recieved a lack of air time. Hoshi's the sweet, cute girl next door, and for reason, that no longer cuts it on Trek. She was an interesting character, but like Mayweather, she's now more of a set dressing. At least she isnt a prop, being used by other characeters...

At least Hoshi gets to have decendants, unlike Reed...[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 05-11-2004, 01:41 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't particularly agree with the conclusions that were drawn either. This fella makes some interesting points, but the thing is, [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] really isn't like all the other Trek shows that have gone before. Whereas they were at least trying sometimes to show serious, intelligent sci-fi, ENT has from the very beginning been primarily after one thing - popularity. Now of course, a show needs to be popular to survive, whatever it's genre, but when you take that too far, to show suffers and the whole thing backfires on you. What this guy is on about is really only a symptom of this, not the problem in of itself.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There's also the small issue of the fact that [iost_uid0]woman in trouble![/iost_uid0] is compelling.

There's always the psycho-boyfriend story, the stalker story (complete with lingering image of the woman asleep in bed), etc etc

It's a new variant of the heroine getting tied to railroad tracks. The underlying motivation is the same: be compelling.

Meh. S'nothing new.[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By Nan on 1084304524
Old 05-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, [iost_uid0]Men with Toys[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]Women in Trouble[/iost_uid0] are two very, very recurring themes. Recently, [iost_uid0]Women with Toys[/iost_uid0] has become strong, but for the most part, you can't have a heroine in your movie without at least one moment of emotional tension/anguish or extreme physical danger.

So, it's not only Enterprise.

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 05-11-2004, 07:57 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Gatac"]...[iost_uid0]Women with Toys[/iost_uid0]...[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol:

Just chalk this one up to my juvenile sense of humour.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Man in the iron mask

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, come on. I've noticed a large increase in the "Women with BFGs" over the last two decades.

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 05-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]...Women with Toys...[/quoteost_uid0]
[quoteost_uid0]Just chalk this one up to my juvenile sense of humour.[/quoteost_uid0]

It's not juvenile at all: there's a very successful U.S. chain of women-owned sex shops called Toys in Babeland. Honestly.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Man in the iron mask

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Now, now, people, we're steering into very dangerous waters. After all, I was talking about the other, perfectly moral and safe kind of toys: firearms.

Mind you, there are people who associate these two different kinds of toys, but we're not at Five Minute Fetishes here, are we?

On the other hand, I can't deny that all those pictures of women on motorcycles hefting large automatic weapons do have a very distinct Freudian element to them. As for the novelty goods store, well, sure, more power to them. Doesn't mean I need to have pieces of molded rubber waved in front of my face when I have dinner. :|

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Good god, man. Who do you eat dinner with? :O[/colorost_uid0]