The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

I'm looking forward to their Star Wars... Should be a blast...
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Hooray! I get to open my system up tomorrow!

Picked up Zelda and Monkey Ball today, and a classic controller (amazed I was able to find one).

Why I bought Wii at launch:

1) I don't wait for Zelda.
2) Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are all coming out in the next six months or so. I am going to need a system to play all those gems on. Might as well get it now.
3) The system cost was halved because I'm going 50/50 on it with my fiancee.
4) I can get retro games on virtual console. I love the retro games.
5) 250 is pretty good value for a system and a pack-in anyway.
6) I really, really don't wait for Zelda.

Launch systems may be faulty sometimes, but if it's widespread or severe then Nintendo would give me a new one. And the only problems I'm reading are minor firmware problems are being ironed out with every passing firmware update.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings

And...you know. Zelda.
Plus. Zelda?

Anyways? Why with the waiting months!? It's like waiting till a movie is out on DVD to see it. Might be cheaper. Might be easier than waiting outside the cinema. But it's just not Cricket, is it?

I swear I'm gonna import one before the week is out.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Well waiting outside the cinema is slightly different. For one, you generally don't need a tent and 14 hours for that.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Hobbesian

I was thinking big opening day type cinema type. You know. Harry potter openings and star wars ones. There where some camping down here I tell you.
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Six months. How optimistic. I'd lay you odds that they're gonna wait longer than that, let Twilight Princess empty everyone's pockets and then wait 'til we have disposable income again before they spring the next killer app on us.

I wonder what's keeping Mario Galaxy. Weren't they working on it when Mario 64 was released, or was all of that transformed into Pikmin and Mario Sunshine?

For me, Brawl is gonna be the killer app for Revolution. After all, we can get Twilight Princess for Gamecube, right? I know, I know, hardly the same, but still...

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Hobbesian

Blasphemy!
I love the cube. (Hey I'm a trek fan; course I do.) But I really can't see any competition. I'll pip for the zelda mark 2.

And I think Mario galaxy is different to what you are thinking of. There was talk about Mario 128 (Or 256 I forget what) They did say it was a new super game. But still a long way off. Then they said it was Galaxy. Then it wasn't. Then it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_128
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Never thought about the Gamecube in terms of the Borg. I thought that Microsoft was the Borg. "We are Bill Gates. You will be upgraded. Resistance is futile." Etc.

Yeah, I knew about the Wikipedia article. That's my point; even granted that the "Mario 128 demo" was just a tech demo and that most of that tech went into Pikmin, they've been working on Galaxy for four years now.

May I point out that Miyamoto himself used the name Revolution, and this year for that matter? Just wanted to exploit the gap Burt left me.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

They've been working on Twilight Princess for four years as well.

Smash Bros. Brawl just started development a year or two ago.

Metroid Prime 3 has been in production since Prime 2 came out (two years).

Nintendo quality takes time. Be patient.

And Super Mario Galaxy borrowed about as much from Mario 128 as Super Mario Sunshine did. Both are entirely separate games.

Also: Twilight Princess for Cube is an inferior products. Sorry, but I don't really want to play an inferior version of Zelda. If you do, please -- have at it.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 AM

I'm not sure if the phrase "Nintendo quality" is irony, joke fodder or what, so I think I'll just stay away from the lightning sand. Further Wiibashing are the ROUSs, in case you were wondering.

I was just saying that my definition of "killer app" is that you MUST have one to get another to work. Mario 3 is the killer app for NES, Tetris is the killer app for Gameboy, OOT is the killer app for N64, etc. Twilight Princess is up there, but I was just saying that Brawl requires Revolution, so it's ever-so-slightly higher.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

I don't know what you're on about. Nintendo consistantly makes highly rated first party games. Nintendo is known for making quality first-party titles. People (rightly) complain about lack of third-party support. But I have yet to see a decline in review scores on Nintendo's part. And I'm sure you can appreciate that as well, Mr. Ocarina-fivist.

Zelda may be available on two consoles. But the versions are hardly equal. And, as I said, I am not one to buy an inferior version of my favorite game series ever.

And judging by review scores, Twilight Princess easily falls into the killer app classification.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 AM

I am a Nintendo fan, have been since the days of Mario 3 and Star Tropic. In fact, I decided a long time ago that I'll only have Nintendo consoles, no matter how flashy Playstation and Xbox may be.

I also love Zelda. I fived OOT because I love it.

I was insinuating that "Nintendo quality" might be a joke because ... I knew I had a reason ...

Well, for one thing, I recently read about the batteries on older Gameboy games going dead after awhile and having to pry the cart open to replace it, something that was clearly never intended to happen. You'd think that even then there was such a thing as solid state data storage akin to jump drives.

Oh, and I was wandering around some N64 games lately and I guess I was getting ticked at all of the shortcuts I was seeing. You know, sheets of 2D grass sticking up like fans someone stuck in the ground. In Mario Party fists that are clearly cubes. Reading about all that extra stuff in Goldeneye that was never finished, so they set up cheap blocks and removed the direct trigggers for them, but left the data itself so that hackers could mess around with it. Heaven forbid they clean up the code.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

And here, I own a PSP. You, my friend, are the fanboy here.

Nintendo can hardly be faulted for sticking watch batteries in their cartridges to save data. Cartridges are expensive enough as it is (which is why Sony and Sega switched to CD-ROMs in the fifth gen, and everyone moved to DVDs in the sixth gen). Solid state data storage was around then, but it has only become relatively cheap in the past few years -- and as such, the DS has the first cartridges which save data that way. Those batteries allowed you to get your games at reasonable prices. Not something worth complaining about. And I picked up a bit to open the cartridges for about 5 bucks. Makes things pretty easy, though you do lose your old data.

As for shortcuts, I dare you to find other publishers who don't do the same thing. Nintendo is way better than most (and GoldenEye isn't Nintendo anyway).

But let's talk about Nintendo quality another way. You can drop a gamecube off your roof and it'll probably still work. You can leave a game boy advance in your yard for a few days, run it over a lawn mower, and it will still work. Meanwhile, X-Box 360s overheat and Sony's power cables explode.

Yeah... I'm really not seeing any problems with the term "Nintendo quality".

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Hobbesian

Well Goldeneye was Rare. And in all fairness, I think Nintendo's record are better than most other companies. Even Sega. Yes, they aren't perfect, but who is these days, eh?
And when you play Mario 64, The Wind Walker, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, you realize that this is as close to perfection you're ever lightly to get in the computer game world.
Short of the borg assimilating Mario.

(What is it with me and the borg today?)
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 AM

Almost makes me wonder if the old days of save states was better. I distinctly remember games like Startropic, where your info was not so much directly saved, but you were given a code to recreate your stats.

Never heard of Advance Wars.

How long have rechargable batteries been around? Was it a possibility to have those in game carts? I suppose they never thought that Gameboy would still be in existence twenty years down the line.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Well, before I got an adaptor I used to use rechargeables in my GBC, so I guess that's a yes.

Nintendo quality is good. What's wrong with it? It's 'Nintendo hard' that I quibble about, since it has a range of 'so incredibly easy your grandma could do it' and 'OH GOD PLEASE LET ME KILL MYSELF' and nothing in between.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 AM

Oh yeah. I gotta wonder how far I'd have gotten on Majora's Mask if I already hadn't had the strategy guide. I tell ya, being locked inside a plant's body, locked inside a town, with the moon about to crush everything, is pretty depressing if you can't get out.

I suppose that's one thing that creates a paradox. Like I've said, I'm a big Startropic fan, and I enjoy God of Thunder, a VERY old DOS game. Kudos for those who've heard of it. Both of those games are big into the "talk to EVERYONE, every single time you get stuck, and they'll probably say something different" thing. Majora's Mask is kinda like that, only it's extended. It's "talk to everyone, every six hour period, carrying every known mask and powerup, and they'll probably say something different."

Old 11-26-2006, 05:48 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

God of Thunder! No way! Nate, you just won ten points.

I'm really annoyed about this Wii situation. I have the money for one now, but not only are the stores sold out (which I expected), they don't even know when they'll have more. Now, when I chose not to do anything desperate to get a Wii, I knew the consequence would be having to wait... but I thought I would at least know how long that wait would be.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Hobbesian

It's a sad time indeed. Right now millions of people all over the world are starving for a Wii.... And monsters like this: http://www.smashmywii.com/ waste them...
Do they not care for their fellow man?
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
And monsters like this: http://www.smashmywii.com/
Oh, that's eeevil...

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)