The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 03-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]As a random tangent, I remember playing this great computer game back in the day, [iost_uid0]Star Control II[/iost_uid0], and in it there was a race of sentient plants called the Supox. When you first meet them, one of the options of things you can say to them is "Sentient plants? That's impossible! Our best scientist have proved that plants can't become sentient." If you choose this option, the Supox says, "We know. Our scientists have reached the same conclusion."

Ah, [iost_uid0]Star Control II[/iost_uid0], what a great game. Anyone else here play it?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]>> "Sentient plants? That's impossible! <<

Reminds me of a line I once read in a comic book: "Between a carnivorous plant and a herbivorous animal, no productive discussion is possible."[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There's also the fact that the volume of a bug increases as the square of the surface area. For bugs that exchange wastes and gases through their skin, that means they quickly choke once the size gets too big.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"]Well, again that's part of the whole sonic-weapon thing, which was entirely a Lynch creation.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yeah, I thought that was sort of unnecessary. Maybe it was for, like, de-cerebralizing the film or something. I dunno.

I kind of liked the worms, though.

[quoteost_uid0]Do'h! [iost_uid0]Dune Messiah[/iost_uid0] is what I meant. I always get the two titles mixed up for some reason.[/quoteost_uid0]

They mixed Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Which works, I think, because there isn't the same volume of "story" in Dune Messiah or Children of Dune to be its own movie, but they'd work together.

Nan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][iost_uid0]Insurrection[/iost_uid0] was great.[/quoteost_uid0]
I kinda liked it. Seemed it woulda been a better DS9 movie. I dunno.

[quoteost_uid0]Lynch's [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] was awful, but I agree that it did about as well as any film adaptation of that book could. I haven't seen the miniseries yet; what I've heard has been so conflicting that I have no idea what to expect.[/quoteost_uid0]
I think it needed a larger budget. And effects by Maya.

I'd advise seeing it and making your own judgement. The cinematography, costumes, and music are quite good.

One of my favourite mediafests of all time.

Although, fiving it would be a headache of the ages.

*pause*

In fact... forget I mentioned it. *grynz and backs away slowly*

~Nan, who wants a copy of Maya![/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]There's also the fact that the volume of a bug increases as the square of the surface area. For bugs that exchange wastes and gases through their skin, that means they quickly choke once the size gets too big.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Also, they wouldn't have enough "goop" (their actual functional soft bits) to survive because their carapace would have to get progressively thicker to support an increasing rate.

So... not possible, not an insect without sufficient varities of differentiated cells (i.e., organs). Then they wouldn't bugs anymore anyway.

Nan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]So... not possible, not an insect without sufficient varities of differentiated cells (i.e., organs). Then they wouldn't bugs anymore anyway.
[/quoteost_uid0]

Then they'd be macroviruses.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][iost_uid0]Insurrection[/iost_uid0] was great.[/quoteost_uid0]
I kinda liked it. Seemed it woulda been a better DS9 movie. I dunno.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]You may be right; the central issue isn't as black and white as the film paints it, and shades of grey were always more DS9's thing. What particularly bothered me was Picard's hypocrisy -- this is the man who was willing to let a whole colony die for no reason in "Homeworld", but he falls for a Ba'Ku and suddenly their cause is worth fighting the Federation over.

[quoteost_uid0]One of my favourite mediafests of all time.[/quoteost_uid0]

I remember. When it first aired, you posted at Deltachat as "Nan the Mysterious Romulan on a [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] kick" for weeks.

[quoteost_uid0]Although, fiving it would be a headache of the ages.
*pause*
In fact... forget I mentioned it. *grynz and backs away slowly*[/quoteost_uid0]

Nice try. [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0], if and when 5MV tackles it, is mine. [/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-20-2003, 08:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]Nice try. [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0], if and when 5MV tackles it, is mine. [/quoteost_uid0]

...and I suppose that will be done "soon"?

*cough* *cough* MINEFIELD *cough* *cough*
Hrm...guess I must be coming down with something.
:eyeroll:[/colorost_uid0]

Bears are crazy, they\'ll bite your head off if you\'re wearing steak on it.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]*cough* *cough* MINEFIELD *cough* *cough*
[/quoteost_uid0]

What, are you tap-dancing in one?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Nice try. Dune, if and when 5MV tackles it, is mine.[/quoteost_uid0]

Awwwww....[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][quoteost_uid0="Nan"]You may be right; the central issue isn't as black and white as the film paints it, and shades of grey were always more DS9's thing. What particularly bothered me was Picard's hypocrisy -- this is the man who was willing to let a whole colony die for no reason in "Homeworld", but he falls for a Ba'Ku and suddenly their cause is worth fighting the Federation over.[/quoteost_uid0]
The Feds are good at hypocrisy, I've noticed.

[quoteost_uid0]I remember. When it first aired, you posted at Deltachat as "Nan the Mysterious Romulan on a [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] kick" for weeks.[/quoteost_uid0]
It tooks me weeks to read all the books.

[quoteost_uid0]Nice try. [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0], if and when 5MV tackles it, is mine. [/quoteost_uid0]

I was actually trying to make sure I wouldn't get assigned to it.

~Nan, doing a lot of winking [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2003, 05:05 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I was actually trying to make sure I wouldn't get assigned to it. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Heheheheheh. My mistake.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's funnier if you realize Stargate is getting fived pretty swiftly and I am effectively a glorified admin.

Hehehe, my last fiver is from an episode that hasn't even AIRED here yet.

~Nan, who is rather fond of the Wilfrid Laurier joke that no one gets. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Three people, apparently

Send a message via MSN to Kristina Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]This nobody recognizes pictures of the Presidents (and actors) when she reads of them. If it isn't the attempt of bribery with a Canadian $5 bill (or do you say note?), then I too am in the dark.

A woman once got a letter from one of her sons requesting "pictures of the Presidents". So off she went and cut out pictures from magazines and newspapers. (True story)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Original:

[bost_uid0]Woden[/bost_uid0]: Once we fix everyone, we're going to destroy the machine.
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: But-but-but... um, [iost_uid0] medical breakthrough![/iost_uid0] Amazing tech!
[bost_uid0]Woden[/bost_uid0]: It's a relic of Dr. Mengele! Magneto. Mystique. Nirrti. Whatever.
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: I guess. [pause] I don't suppose Ben Franklin here'll change your mind?
[bost_uid0]Jonas[/bost_uid0]: Er, isn't that Wilfrid Laurier?
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: Shut up.

Okay, here's the joke, adjusted for wider understanding:

[bost_uid0]Woden[/bost_uid0]: Once we fix everyone, we're going to destroy the machine.
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: But-but-but... um, [iost_uid0] medical breakthrough![/iost_uid0] Amazing tech!
[bost_uid0]Woden[/bost_uid0]: It's a relic of Dr. Mengele! Magneto. Mystique. Nirrti. Whatever.
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: I guess. [pause] I don't suppose [an American hundred dollar bill] here'll change your mind?
[bost_uid0]Jonas[/bost_uid0]: Er, isn't that [a Canadian five dollar bill]?
[bost_uid0]Carter[/bost_uid0]: Shut up.

It was worth it!

~Nan [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][color=#000000ost_uid0]...steals a robot (that is basically a giant brain in a jar)...[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]That sure does remind me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, lol[/colorost_uid0]