The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2003, 07:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Patriotic American would be meaningless to me, not being American. Australian is a variant of English.
[/quoteost_uid0]

I was being really sarcastic.

And what does a Reman accent sound like? How many characters are you basing it on? Picard's Earth accent was different from Riker's which was different from O'Brian's (and so on), so the assumption that there is just the one Reman accent and that Shinzon should be speaking it is silly.

Plus, it's also possible he was using the UT, in which case maybe that's just the way the wacky machine translated it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Like I said, I don't know what it sounds like. But even if there are more Reman accents, pick one. Preferably the one the Remans have that he spent the most time with.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:38 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Things Are Good"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Plus, it's also possible he was using the UT, in which case maybe that's just the way the wacky machine translated it.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]What do the Uncharted Territories have to do with anything? Though I agree that things are wacky there...

I have to disagree with Nan on the accent issue -- I don't see any problem with Shinzon's "French" accent. Remember, he didn't spend his [iost_uid0]entire[/iost_uid0] life in the Reman mines (Remines?). Since he was intended as a perfect duplicate of Picard, the young Shinzon would have been taught to speak with Picard's intonation, just as he would have had to learn Picard's posture, behaviour patterns, and such. Since the accent you have when you first learn to speak sticks with you, by the time the project was abandoned, Shinzon's accent would have been pretty much like Picard's.

Another possible explanation is that Shinzon was just emphasizing his similarity to Picard. It's not too difficult to fake a British accent, and the small psychological effect on Picard and his friends could be valuable.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-27-2003, 04:38 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Except the Romulans were obviously not interested in him as a duplicate anymore. They sent him to a mine. The real Picard did not slave in a mine for most of his life. Shinzon did. He would not have grown and developed like Picard. Shinzon was written off.

Although, I could see that they would have trained him rigorously to speak like Picard from early life before the decisionw as made that he wasn't viable anymore.

Still. Weird.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]If the accent were the only problem with [iost_uid0]Nemesis[/iost_uid0], then I don't think anybody could complain. Â But most will acknowledge that the flick had at least a [iost_uid0]few[/iost_uid0] more problems than that.

And for the record, I actually mostly [iost_uid0]liked[/iost_uid0] "The Expanse". Â I just can't find myself getting excited about the new season in the least, especially with comments lately from the two Bees.

P.S. -- like my sig? [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="ijdgaf"][color=#000000ost_uid0]P.S. -- like my sig? [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Copycat. I had it first. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm sure it's a coincidence, and I like it whichever one of you is using it.

Nan: Actually, that was pretty much my point. Shinzon looked at least ten years old when he was sent to the mines -- if they didn't give up on him till then, it stands to reason he'd already have been taught the accent.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]ARG! Â :O

[iost_uid0]That[/iost_uid0] is wierd; I just read it last night and noticed the irony. Â Ah well....

*does a google search on "soon"*[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, I read it about a week ago and both my wife and I found it hilarious and we thought of 5MV. So I changed my sig to it. It's even more hilarious that we both saw it and noticed it.

Btw, check out MmeBlueberry's sig, if you haven't.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah yes...

Great series -- I think this reading through is my third time, maybe the fourth.

And I'd feel guilty for hijacking the thread if this were TrekBBS; here we'll surely be speaking of Canadian politics within a few short pages [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yep, you've gotta love the Chronicles of Narnia. Â C. S. Lewis is one of my favourite authors... besides the Narnia books, I've read the first two parts of his Cosmic Trilogy, the Screwtape Letters, and some of his theological works. Â Ever taken the Which Narnia Book Are You test? Â (I was [iost_uid0]The Last Battle[/iost_uid0]... make of that what you will.)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 07-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]And so, the staff takes over the thread. [/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey, I don't think it's ever been the staff before....

I'm [iost_uid0]The Silver Chair[/iost_uid0]; my personal favorite [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm [iost_uid0]The Magician's Nephew.[/iost_uid0]

These tests always give me weird results. I took a Potter test for which House I'd be in and I got virtually equal for Gryffindor and Slytherin.

Oy.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm [iost_uid0]Prince Caspian[/iost_uid0].

I have no idea what that means.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 07-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just to be annoying:

[imgost_uid0]http://bluelikethat.com/narnia/dt.jpg[/imgost_uid0]

The only book which doesn't take place in Narnia at all, per se, you're the story of a voyage to find the end of the world and hopefully the Seven Lost Lords (remember Rhoop!). You contain some of the most unique people and places and beautiful descriptions of the whole series.

Find out which Chronicles of Narnia book you are.

I have no idea which Narnia book is my favorite, but it's applicable to my sig.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Yep, you've gotta love the Chronicles of Narnia. C. S. Lewis is one of my favourite authors... besides the Narnia books, I've read the first two parts of his Cosmic Trilogy, the Screwtape Letters, and some of his theological works. Ever taken the Which Narnia Book Are You test? (I was [iost_uid0]The Last Battle[/iost_uid0]... make of that what you will.)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I too love Lewis to the point that I have virtually all of his books: fictional, theological, autobiographical, etc. I found it very interesting to read them all and then come back to the Narnia books because I could see a lot of the points he had made in the other books incorporated into the Narnian books.

And Zeke, why not the third book of the trilogy ([iost_uid0]That Hideous Strength[/iost_uid0])?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, it's not that I have a problem with the third book -- I just haven't had time to read it yet. I do own a copy (bound with the other two in a one-volume set).

Side thought: why is it that so much of the classic sf literature comes in trilogies? Besides the Cosmic Trilogy, there's Lord of the Rings, the Space Odyssey series, and Gormenghast; Dune is basically a pair of trilogies too, and Hitchhiker's Guide claimed to be one right up to the fifth book.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 07-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The Space Odyssey series is four books -- 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001.

And if you were being slick and disregarding the last of the four, then I'm sorry that one's my favorite.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't think the fourth one was so much a continuation of the trilogy as an expression of Clarke's theories about the future. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think the [iost_uid0][uost_uid0][color][/uost_uid0] Mars[/iost_uid0] series is a trilogy too, isn't it? What about the [iost_uid0]Foundation[/iost_uid0]-thingy series, by Asimov or whoever?[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs