The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 05-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Sorry, guest post was me. Forgot to log in. ops:

# Nate
________
BMW XDRIVE

Last edited by **nrb; 03-08-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
You just activated his Trek card

My personal opinion is that all one-of-a-kind stuff should be done via some sort of auction. I'd be glad to pay $5 American for a signed printout of a fiver, with perhaps a discount for buying in bulk. Zeke's right, I don't think that complete fived seasons exist yet. My only arguement is that guest fivists submit fivers with no expectation of compensation. If Zeke is to get money for his fivers, the rest of us should get some too. Not the entire price, of course. Using the five dollars example, say that maybe two bucks go to the individual fivist and three go to the site. Something like that. I did like the "4.70 in local currency idea" too.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

evay, you are a godsend. That signed-printouts idea is perfect.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-25-2005, 05:45 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
fivists
I'm sorry, that word looks really perverted. "Fiverist" sounds like a deranged last name, though. "Fiverer"? Maybe "5ist"? Or does that look like a brand of underwear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
evay, you are a godsend. That signed-printouts idea is perfect.
:mrgreen: We are here to serve.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Last of the ko fighters

Maybe it would be an idea to sell entire seasons as booklets. Like some web comics (like Userfriendly) also have books. Hm.. But that would only work for those seasons without guest writers, I suppose. Unless submitting a fiver makes it your property (not sure about this), or the writers give permission.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I dunno about that, Michiel. It's very close to something I thought of a long time ago -- publishing fivers in book form -- but the problem is I can't make money off it, or I lose my fair use protection. Selling fiver printouts probably falls under de minimis non curat lex, but entire seasons would go for more money, and that might be pushing it.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

Quote:
My only arguement is that guest fivists submit fivers with no expectation of compensation. If Zeke is to get money for his fivers, the rest of us should get some too.
Quote:
Unless submitting a fiver makes it your property (not sure about this), or the writers give permission.
The way I understand Zeke's idea, what is being offered isn't so much the intellectual content of the fivers, since that part is published on 5MV and is made available for free reading to anyone who visits the site. What is being offered is either the physical artifact of his original manuscripts or signed photocopies of those same manuscripts. The attraction, in other words, isn't so much the content as the object itself, written in "the master's hand" (or bearing his autograph, kind of like an autographed Voyager script). It's not compensation for the writer's work, since everyone who has contributed fivers has always understood that there was no remuneration involved other than the satisfaction of seeing one's work published and having it draw some favourable comments from the readership.

I don't imagine there would be anything stopping a guest writer from privately offering his or her manuscripts for auction on a similar basis if they wanted to (assuming that their fiver was handwritten to begin with), but they'd have to see how much demand there would be for it. My own fivers, for instance, were all written directly on my PC, so there are no handwritten manuscripts of them except some occasional longhand notes that I usually discard when I've submitted my finished material to Zeke.

I guess one added attraction that handwritten manuscripts would have for English Majors and Lit Crit types is that one could see from them how the writing process progressed for a particular fiver. One might also find a few draft jokes that ended up on the cutting room floor -- sort of like the outtakes included in the DVD release of a movie. Those could be fun to read...or not, since some of what gets discarded is cut because it simply doesn't work.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Marc's right. I was only considering my own fivers here, but if a guest writer wanted to sell printouts like this, I'd be willing to arrange that through the site. I'm not sure whether I'd take a cut, but if I did, it would only be a buck or so. The guest writer himself would print the fiver out and mail it; my $1 would just be a networking fee, if you will.

Infinite Improbability: To clarify a bit, this should not be considered my "getting paid" for fivers, because it's neither required nor regular. By the same token, the money I get won't go towards the site, because this site doesn't consume money -- just time and energy. The money goes to me, because I have no income for the next two months and could really use some. But it's not a donation, because you get something for it.

I think the best metaphor is tipping your pizza guy. He brings the pizza whether you tip him or not, but a tip will make his life a bit easier, and he'll appreciate it.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Long fellow

Ah, but Zeke, you can't be sued in this country for anything worth less than $20. Now, most here would argue your fivers are worth far more than that, but Paramout can't legally get you on that. Or something. Why am I discussing this? My expertise is in philosophy and politics, for goodness' sakes!

I will add that I also would be willing to shell out at least $15 (USD, of course. Canadian money is a pale imitation of the dollar) + S&H for Paneldemonium or Sleapers signed by the whole writing team. That would be tough to do, of course, but definitely worthy of a frame.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:24 PM

This first bit is to whoever got confused by the term "fivist." Over at Five-Minute Stargate we got to calling easch other fivists, a play on words of "artist," "gymnast," etc. It is a title.

"Getting paid" is a troublesome term right there. That implies that our job is to write fivers specifically for remuneration. That is not the case. Granted, you never quite assume full ownership of fivers. You post our names and e-mail addresses on each fiver, and you never claim them as your own. You're right, I could go to Ebay and try to sell signed copies of my fivers, but no one there would buy any. Only regular 5MV visitors would, ergo I'd have to advertise via the main site. Thus you deserve a portion of the "profit" as compensation for the time and effort you put into posting and maintaining our work so that others may view them. You need money to maintain the site. We don't need money to enjoy it.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
This first bit is to whoever got confused by the term "fivist." Over at Five-Minute Stargate we got to calling each other fivists, a play on words of "artist," "gymnast," etc. It is a title.
Actually, the term "fivist" (and in general, the use of "five" as a verb) predates 5MSG. It's been in the FAQ since we've had one.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:59 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Well, this is an interesting idea to be sure. Hmm, come to think of it, I could start auctioning off my restraining orders in a similar way - classic PHJ memorabilia, you know.

I know I wouldn't mind paying for a signed copy of an original draft or even a printout (or even a hand-copied one, though I suspect that might prove a little laborious). I'd also pay for autographed pictures of Zeke in a bunny suit, but I don't think that one is going to happen somehow. Ah well.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
I'd also pay for autographed pictures of Zeke in a bunny suit, but I don't think that one is going to happen somehow.
I require a bunny suit, copious amounts of beer, and a sample of Zeke's handwriting to forge.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:15 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Actually, if I wanted an autographed picture of you in a bunny suit all I'd need to do is bribe Nan sufficiently (I'm sure she can find the handcuffs somewhere herself).

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

I'm going to be meeting her in Vancouver next week. Don't give her any ideas.

Also, handcuffs? *SHARPIETHWAM!*
Old 05-27-2005, 06:30 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
I'm going to be meeting her in Vancouver next week. Don't give her any ideas.
Oh, I'm sure she doesn't need my help in any way. She's far more sadistic than I am, after all.

Quote:
Also, handcuffs? *SHARPIETHWAM!*
Gesundheit.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 PM

If I'm mistaken about the origin of fivist, I apologize. If the term did originate here, then it should be used more often so there's no confusion. It's a great term!

Old 05-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Oh, I'm sure she doesn't need my help in any way. She's far more sadistic than I am, after all
You know me too well, Pointy.

I must KEEL YOU!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:25 AM
...and not cowardly

Good day all,

Zeke, do you have 'Broken Bow' laying around? I'll pay 10 for both parts. and if you find more of Sleeping Dogs, ill take that one. and there is one more that i love, jsut cant remmber the name. lol read it last night. um...the one were Archer looses his long turn memory. LOL Head buts the anomoly like a water poloball LMAO. i have $20.00 bucks with your name on it. having signed fivers is well worth it...and one will make a good gift to my sis. thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

I don't have originals of the ones you want, but as discussed in today's update, you can order signed printouts. FiveMinute.net: because stuff is long and life is short