The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So... I`ve been studying. (Deanna: "About Rome"). And after six straight hours of studying, things in my head went jiggly wiggly, so instead of studying Rome, I inadvertently started spoofing it. The result is this silly, unofficial mini-fiver...

Beware of silly references and inaccurate historical information. If you like it, thank Sa`ar - his sarcastic comments about one bit from Croatian history I told him inspired me for this,

Five-Minute History of Rome
----------------------------------------

Romulus: Greetings, villagers. You shall now witness the glorious event of me founding the city of Rome.
Remus: Not if I can help it!
Romulus: (THWAP)
Remus: GAK!
Romulus: You may find it troubling that I`ve just murdered my own brother in cold blood, but rest assured I`ll be a calm, wise and fair king for the rest of you. If you never ANNOY ME!

Romulus: These are the Seven Hills of Rome. I call the Palatine for myself since it has rosy flowers and lots of butterflies.
Villagers: Can we have the Aventine?
Romulus: No, that will be the headquarters of the Tal Shiar.

Romulus: But why don`t you want to give us your advanced technology? You know, like the wheel?
Etruscans: That information is classified. Besides, you Romans are flawed, weak, disorganized. And quite illogical. Your little town won`t be able to stand on its own for more than a few years.
Romulus: You`re wrong! We`ll become mighty and glorious, and you know why?
Etruscans: Why?
Romulus: Cause we`ve got faith of the heart!

Legionary: Oh mighty Consul, the Carthaginian-Macedonian alliance is too strong! We`re not going to win this war.
Consul: Not to worry! I`ve sent letters, telling the Carthaginian king the Macedonians called his mother a goat, and to the Macedonian king that the Carthaginians named a public toilet after him. That alliance is over.
Legionary: Wow! What a brilliant and original tactic!
Consul: It`s a little invention of mine. I think I`ll call it [iost_uid0]divide et impera[/iost_uid0].

Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country!
Aristotle: Yes, whatever, just kindly don`t interrupt the three of us. We`re debating the purpose of existence.
Plato: The discussion is over. The purpose of existence is, without any doubt whatsoever, peanut butter.
Socrates: Agreed.
Aristotle: I concur.

Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country!
Cleopatra: Oh! Tall, strong, dark men have arrived to take my country, and to take me! Amon-Ra, I`m SO turned on!

Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country! Resistance is futile! You will become one with the Rome!
Seleucid King: Ni!
Roman General #1: Um, what is he saying?
Roman General #2: The universal translator must be malfunctioning.
Seleucid King: Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
Roman General #1: On second thought, let`s not invade the Seleucid Kingdom.

Julius Caesar: I intend to cross the river Rubico.
Legionary: But you can`t! It would be an act of war against the Roman Republic!
Caesar: Act of war-shmact of war. I`ll do it!
Legionary: Ole! We`re with you! Say the words, oh Caesar, that will be remembered for centuries to come, the famous words on the river Rubico...
Caesar: Engage!

Augustus: Assemble a giant army for me!
Senate: No way. We`re in charge of the Republic.
Augustus: My big sword and I hereby disband the Senate and the Republic. I am your Emperor now!
Legionaries: Oh, holy Emperor, the treacherous Marcus Antonius and Pompey are opposing your rule! What shall we do?
Emperor Augustus: Wipe them out. All of them.

Attila the Hun: Your Empire is past its expiration date, and is now decaying poorly, much like [iost_uid0]Friends[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]ER[/iost_uid0].
Emperor Valentinian: I will give you half the Empire and my sister.
Attila: I want 94.7% of the Empire and your brother.
Emperor Valentinian: Bite me.
Attila: CRUSH! KILL! PILLAGE! OBLITERATE!

[iost_uid0]Emperor`s Log: Stardate 4th September 476. Howdy. I am Romulus Augustulus, the last Emperor of Rome. Sigh. Perhaps I should have spent more time planning an efficient defense of the Empire, instead of chatting with people on the Forum all day long. But the situation is not as gloomy as it seems. Sure, some people say the world is set for one thousand years of the dark middle ages, but I personally believe that`s a bit of an exaggeration.[/iost_uid0]

(The Roman Empire falls at Ludicrous Speed)[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country! Resistance is futile! You will become one with the Rome!
Seleucid King: Ni!
Roman General #1: Um, what is he saying?
Roman General #2: The universal translator must be malfunctioning.
Seleucid King: Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
Roman General #1: On second thought, let`s not invade the Seleucid Kingdom.
[/quoteost_uid0]
It is a silly place.

I like it. Can't recall which comment by Sa'ar it was that provoked this, but good job, eh?[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 02-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Awesome. Totally awesome. There's so much more that could be added, but even better to see the Romans boiled down to their core silliness.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You've made me sneak out of lurkerdom.

I'm teaching my 9th graders about Rome right now (just switched from republic to empire). Mind if I share some of that with them? They won't get it all, but it'd be a fun thing to do. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Nic Corelli"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Legionary: Oh mighty Consul, the Carthaginian-Macedonian alliance is too strong! We`re not going to win this war.
Consul: Not to worry! I`ve sent letters, telling the Carthaginian king the Macedonians called his mother a goat, and to the Macedonian king that the Carthaginians named a public toilet after him. That alliance is over.
Legionary: Wow! What a brilliant and original tactic!
Consul: It`s a little invention of mine. I think I`ll call it [iost_uid0]divide et impera[/iost_uid0].

(The Roman Empire falls at Ludicrous Speed)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I've just been inspired to five my genetics notes, here... Good one, Nic![/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I like it. Can't recall which comment by Sa'ar it was that provoked this, but good job, eh?[/quoteost_uid0]

It was in an email:

Five Minute History of the Southern Slavs:

Once upon a time on the Steppes there were some Slavs. Under pressure from tribes further east, they moved into what used to be Illyria and took over. Over time they managed to split into six (or more) different nationalities who declared everlasting blood feuds on each other and all their neighbours, the end.

Being an equal-opportunity satirist, I then slagged my own Celtic ancestors (warning: not responsible for insult of offense taken on behalf of people dead for 2500 years):

Once upon a time there were a bunch of people living in Switzerland who didn't go anywhere, until they got horses and then went everywhere. They ruled most of Europe until they got stuck between the filthy Germans on one side and the damned Romans on the other. The Romans didn't fight in the time honoured manner of painting yourself blue, stripping naked and then running screaming at your opponent in a disorganised mob. As a result, the Celts got their arses kicked and got swept aside to some rainy miserable islands, where they proceeded to fight amongst themselves and get occupied by the Sassenach, until they took over the British Empire from the inside. The end.

[quoteost_uid0]Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country!
Cleopatra: Oh! Tall, strong, dark men have arrived to take my country, and to take me! Amon-Ra, I`m SO turned on![/quoteost_uid0]

Dark? Yes, in the classical sense as it applies to hair and not pigmentation. Strong? Militarily, yes. Tall? Hardly. *snicker*

Nice job. Pay my nitpicking no mind.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Once upon a time there were a bunch of people living in Switzerland ... [/quoteost_uid0]
Ahh, yes ... right around Hallstatt, wasn't it?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Ahh, yes ... right around Hallstatt, wasn't it?[/quoteost_uid0]

You are correct, sir. Once they got the horse, they spread out in all directions, getting as far as Iberia (Galicia), Asia Minor (Galatea) and France (Gaul). I'm not sure whether the Galicia in Ukraine is derived from the Celts as well. The migrations to Ireland and Britain happened a bit later.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-29-2004, 11:44 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The one in the Ukraine is the eastern portion of what was known as Polish Galicia, and is indeed named for the Celts.

Also, I believe it was to the folks in Galatea (Asia Minor) that the Apostle Paul's Epistle* was directed.

(* say [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0] five times, fast!)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]The one in the Ukraine is the eastern portion of what was known as Polish Galicia, and is indeed named for the Celts.[/quoteost_uid0]

It's been traded back and forth between three empires and various successor states for a long time. I think the incoming Germans and Slavs pretty much assimilated the Celts long before the Austrian, Prussian and Russian empires arose.

[quoteost_uid0]Also, I believe it was to the folks in Galatea (Asia Minor) that the Apostle Paul's Epistle* was directed.[/quoteost_uid0]

A bunch of Celts swept through after the collapse of Alexander's Empire and settled there. I know nothing of Epistles, though.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Over time they managed to split into six (or more) different nationalities who declared everlasting blood feuds on each other and all their neighbours, the end.

The Romans didn't fight in the time honoured manner of painting yourself blue, stripping naked and then running screaming at your opponent in a disorganised mob.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]::dies::
::is tempted to do a five-minute history of Singapore now, or rather a five-second history of it::[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-01-2004, 01:32 AM

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I know nothing of Epistles, though.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ninth book of the New Testament (Galatians).[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]::is tempted to do a five-minute history of Singapore now, or rather a five-second history of it:: [/quoteost_uid0]

The Little Island That Could, or From Reeds To Riches.

Mangrove swamps have reeds, don't they?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]Mangrove swamps have reeds, don't they?[/quoteost_uid0]

I don't know about that, although I'm pretty sure they have awful May weather. And plenty of stick-up roots that you could easily Trip over.

:lol:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Staff

[color=#000000:post_uid0]*the wince heard 'round the world*

Warn a guy before you pun like that :P[/color:post_uid0]
Old 03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]But no Archers, hm?[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Wigging out

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I'm teaching my 9th graders about Rome right now (just switched from republic to empire). Â Mind if I share some of that with them? Â They won't get it all, but it'd be a fun thing to do.[/quoteost_uid0]

Sure, be my guest! 15-year-olds are my target audience, after all,

[quoteost_uid0]Also, I believe it was to the folks in Galatea (Asia Minor) that the Apostle Paul's Epistle* was directed.[/quoteost_uid0]

Good thing nobody spoke English back then, Â :lol:[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="catalina_marina"][color=#000000ost_uid0]But no Archers, hm?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Nope, they're all too busy at Th' pols. I mean polls. I mean, the elections are coming up, aren't they?

Oh, I forgot. Sa'ar, I was going to pun. Consider yourself duly warned. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Wigging out

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Dabogda Čekotej zivot hodala unatraske [/quoteost_uid0]

17, how about you explain this to me? [/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-04-2004, 01:52 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Taya, when it comes to puns, you have the morality of Phlox.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction