The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 01-26-2004, 04:56 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

You get a brief reprieve from that talking I was going to do -- I didn't leave myself enough time at the end of the day. Â But as promised, we've got a new fiver. Â Tate, who introduced us all to the marvel that is Chex Quest, is still doing videogames but has wandered out of the CQ series for his fourth parody: [iost_uid0]Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri[/iost_uid0]. Â Enjoy.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 01-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The Captain's Logs were great.
[quoteost_uid0]Captain's Log: It's me again. I wanted to say that humanity hasn't done as badly as I had feared. You're probably asking how I can record this log. Shut up.[/quoteost_uid0]

Nice Fiver, Tate. One of these days you'll need to five something I've actually played though.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0][iost_uid0]Everyone on board is in stasis. You're probably asking how I can record this log if I am in stasis. Fortunately, I'm in stasis, so I can't hear you.

On my ship alone there have been several fatalities already, myself included. You're probably asking how I can record this log if I'm dead. Fortunately, I'm dead, so I can't hear you.[/iost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
Bwahahahaa! :lol:

Also especially amusing were all the times someone said
[quoteost_uid0]Oooh, pretty.[/quoteost_uid0]

All of it was so very entertaining. Great work![/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 01-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Voice: (like a gift you mean? gifts we like. what did you in mind have?)
Lal: How does all of human history force-fed through our new psi link sound?
Voice: (useless. we...oooh, pretty)[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol:

Very funny![/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:29 PM
The Nth Doctor

Send a message via AIM to SCMoll

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I loved all the ripping on the gameplay mechanics or whatever... like the "our forces are nearly invincible" bit and the energy pod part. Hilarious![/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-26-2004, 06:25 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Guest"]I loved all the ripping on the gameplay mechanics or whatever... like the "our forces are nearly invincible" bit and the energy pod part. Â Hilarious![/quoteost_uid0]
Actually the "our forces are nearly invincible" is said as such by the game. Â It's always very amusing, especially when you cheat a little and have a decent technology advance.

The diplomatic IA is pretty stupid in practice. Â I find it always quite funny when an enemy you're happily crushing and reduced to two towns tells you he'll stop the vendetta with you if you give him lots of money (well, energy). Â Usually he surrenders at the next town...

Now I eagerly await the "Alien crossfire" fiver sequel ;-)

OG.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I LOVE Sid Meier games! I`m addicted to Civilization 3. And I plan to get Alpha Centauri very soon... especially after this!

[quoteost_uid0]Gaian Scientist: It seems that the mindworms and the xenofungus are connected in a semi-sentient planet-wide neural network that can communicate telepathically with humans.
Skye: You're starting to sound like Zakharov. Cut the technobabble and tell me what's happening.
Gaian Scientist: Sigh. Planet thinks. Planet talks.
Skye: Oooh, pretty. [/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Zakharov: Oh, that. If this is Santiago's fault, I'm declaring vendetta. Or I would. Drat our lousy military.
[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Planet: Transcending, transcending, la la la la la.
Humans: Oooh, pretty.
[/quoteost_uid0]

And, of course, the Captain`s Logs... Â :lol: Hilarious![/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 01-27-2004, 04:22 AM
Infinitely prolonged

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Glad you like it. Â

[quoteost_uid0]I LOVE Sid Meier games! I`m addicted to Civilization 3. And I plan to get Alpha Centauri very soon... especially after this!
[/quoteost_uid0]

I like Civ 3 too, though I haven't been able to play it much lately. I wish it had more of a storyline so I could five it. By the way, what other Sid Meier games do you play?

[quoteost_uid0]Now I eagerly await the "Alien crossfire" fiver sequel ;-)
[/quoteost_uid0]
I'd love to, but that would require me actually [iost_uid0]getting[/iost_uid0] 'Alien crossfire' and it's pretty hard to get, from what I hear. But we'll see...
Anyway, it's nice to know that someone is reading my fiver who's actually played the game.

[quoteost_uid0]Nice Fiver, Tate. One of these days you'll need to five something I've actually played though.[/quoteost_uid0]
That depends on what games you've played. Â Â Most of the games I play either have already been fived or don't lend themselves to fiving. But who knows?[/colorost_uid0]

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That was very funny indeed. SMAC is one of my favourite games, and I've been waiting for ages for someone so do a fiver of it. Just out of interest Tate, did you read the [iost_uid0]Journey to Centauri[/iost_uid0] story on the Firaxis website?

By the way, SMACX isn't really all that different, though of course if you use the new character set the aliens are included in the storyline and the ending is slightly altered. I would reccomend you buy it if you can though - it's a brilliant add-on.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 01-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[quoteost_uid0="Tate"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I like Civ 3 too, though I haven't been able to play it much lately. I wish it had more of a storyline so I could five it. By the way, what other Sid Meier games do you play?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh... How interesting that you ask this question today...

I played Civilization 3: Play the World today. It was causing me problems throughout last week, but today it froze 5 times. It`s just horribly frustrating to play the same turn 5 times in a row, and it always ends with the game freezing. I did everything I could possibly do, I reinstalled the whole game twice, but... nothing.

When it froze for the fifth time in 10 minutes, I took out the CD and crushed it. It got shattered in six pieces. I`m still furious.

It was the culmination of my hatred towards CD-s and DVD-s. It wouldn`t have happened if The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD I tried to watch over the weekend hadn`t frozen as well.

First the movie... no, not just the movie - A BRILLIANT movie, freezes, after one hour, then the game freezes 5 times and destroys all of my effort in the last 8 days...

I know you think I`m mad now, but don`t worry, this was an isolated incident... It`s just that it will take a looong time for me to watch a DVD or play a computer game again,

But, enough of this... Tate, even though you`ve said it lacks a certain amount of storyline, do you plan to five Civ 3 anyway?[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Infinitely prolonged

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Just out of interest Tate, did you read the Journey to Centauri story on the Firaxis website?[/quoteost_uid0]
Yes I have. Earlier versions of my fiver had more references to it, but I edited them out for timing puposes.

[quoteost_uid0]Tate, even though you`ve said it lacks a certain amount of storyline, do you plan to five Civ 3 anyway?[/quoteost_uid0]I'll think about it. If I can come up with something funny enough, I'll ask Zeke about it.[/colorost_uid0]

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It would be rather short, almost [iost_uid0]Doom[/iost_uid0]-esque. Still, it could concieveably work.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants