The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2003, 03:08 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Kosst"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Also, despite Reloaded's greatness, I still think it had nothing on the lobby scene. That scene will live forever.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]The lobby scene from the original Matrix? That's the one part of the movie I can't stand. It was just so much gratuitous violence. All the rest of the violence felt like it had a purpose, but that scene was just empty.

Anyway, finally saw Reloaded today and so I am now reading this thread. ([bost_uid0]and posting spoilers[/bost_uid0])

I thought the movie wasn't that bad, but since I had heard many, many people pan the movie, I was not expecting anything wonderful.

- everything from the destruction of the power plant on
- the freeway scene (okay, okay, I just ranted about the lobby scene from the first one and here I am liking the freeway scene in this one. So sue me. I have no idea why I liked one and disliked the other.)

dislikes:
- Most of the shots of Zion, but especially the temple scene with Morpheus's speech followed by a massive celebration while Trinity and Neo have sex. Was there even a point to it? The whole time I was watching the scene I thought "Will this ever end? Why didn't they edit this out?" Perhaps Revolutions will bring it some meaning....
- Any monologue by any person other than the Architect; the french guy had a line or two worth hearing, but the speech as a whole was bland.

about the matrix in a matrix thing: Not a bad theory. To an extent, it would explain the tinting and Neo's powers, but I've heard enough about parallels between [iost_uid0]The Matrix[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]The Thirteenth Floor[/iost_uid0]. No need to add to them.

My brother watched the movie with me and he complained about how Neo was so invulnerable. At no point did he seem in any real danger and even his blood drops made no difference. I said that it pretty much had to be that way. Either Neo stays as invulnerable as he was in the first Matrix (maintaining continuity, but removing any element of danger), or he becomes vulnerable somehow (robbing the first Matrix of its meaning, but adding tension and danger), or they get to him in the real world (which they seemed to mainly stay out of, and when they did show him in the real world, he was able to use his Q powers there too).

Anyway, not a bad movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again and I look forward to Revolutions.[/colorost_uid0]