The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2003, 03:04 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]This was part of our assessment for one of the modules I was taking last semester. What the tutor did was to start a story on the class forum, and we had to add to it following a bunch of 'rules' he'd set up. Apparently, it was a study of emergent systems, where we (the students) were 'agents' following a simple set of rules, and the story that resulted was the 'emergent system'.

I've always wanted to do one on a sci-fi forum. So, lemme start (and hope others will take a shine to it ) I think the rules were:

[bost_uid0] 1) Each person can post once a day.
2) The post must not exceed 10 lines.
3) On Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays, you can start completely unrelated threads[/bost_uid0] (i.e. jumping settings, changing a whole set of characters)[bost_uid0]
4) You can include any character in the story in your post, provided that character has turned up within ten posts of your post [/bost_uid0](i.e. if Tuvok's last appearance was in post 5, and you're on post 11, you can include Tuvok, but if you're on post 30 and Tuvok hasn't turned up since post 10, you can't include him ... unless it's a Sunday, Tuesday or a Friday!)

I think that was it. Oh well, no harm trying.

"John closed his eyes as he leaned back in the train seat. The vehicle's hypersmooth thrumming was soothing, but it didn't ease the worries he felt. Suddenly, he heard giggling, and opened his eyes, only to be greeted by the sight of a little girl on the opposite row whispering into her mother's ear. He looked down and realized his socks were mismatched: one was red and the other was blue. He laughed, despite himself.

The train arrived at his station and he disembarked. To his surprise, his girlfriend was waiting for him on the platform. As he ran over to greet her, the station was rocked by a gigantic blast......"

Hope the rules aren't too confusing... if so, do what I always do... wing it! I don't really care that much about them. :giggles:

Have fun

Edit: p.s. yep, you can name the girlfriend. I was just too lazy to. *smiles*[/colorost_uid0]