The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-04-2005, 07:21 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default ENT Cancellation Neutral Zone

When I placed a no-bashing restriction on the main ENT cancellation thread, I knew it wouldn't go over well with everybody. It doesn't sit all that well with me either, but under the circumstances, I feel it's appropriate. Many people at this board, myself included, just found out that their favourite show was cancelled. This is not the time to tell them how wrong they were to like ENT in the first place, or to rub the cancellation in their faces.

However, a forum member has argued that I should at least provide another thread without that restriction, so that everyone can have a say. I see his point. So this thread will be for unrestricted discussion of the news. I'm calling it a "Neutral Zone" by analogy with the debate forum at Trek BBS (the name is a holdover from when that forum was unmoderated).

No matter what you have to say about ENT's cancellation, you can say it here. No one will yell at you for taking one side or the other. Just keep it civil.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

Not a bash, but I've only seen seasons 1 and 2, and I must ask - does Travis ever get any lines?
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

Only when possessed by aliens, lol
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Default Re: ENT Cancellation Neutral Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I'm calling it a "Neutral Zone" by analogy with the debate forum at Trek BBS (the name is a holdover from when that forum was unmoderated).
It's moderated now? What's the point?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

I've never made a secret of the fact that I've disliked Enterprise pretty much from the theme song. Sure, everyone insisted that it got better by Season 3.5 or whenever, but by that point it was too late to come back. The only reason I'm familiar with the goings-on in the series is that I read Zeke's fivers (which are always worth reading).

The gratuitous scantily-clad Vaseline rubs irked me the most - yes, Roddenberry was a letch and a womaniser and put as much titillation on the screen as 1966 censors would allow, and Enterprise is proudly following that tradition, but this makes absolutely no logical sense.

However, I'm not going to gloat or do an annoying vindictive victory dance. I'm just going to shrug and go back to watching TNG and early-to-mid DS9 reruns on Space (assuming I wake up early enough).
Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
However, I'm not going to gloat or do an annoying vindictive victory dance. I'm just going to shrug and go back to watching TNG and early-to-mid DS9 reruns on Space (assuming I wake up early enough).
Wake up early? How early are you talking about? I usually watch 'em at 4pm....

As per topic I'm discussing, ENT is going to be able to go into continuation, as I said before, so Space will probably run it along Voyager, TOS, DS9 and TNG.

Space, wonderful channel, all the Treks, Buffy, and Stargate

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

They're broadcast Saturday mornings, although I think now its just TNG and Voyager. They used to have (t)OS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager in a row starting at 10 Eastern...which turned into 7AM Pacific, which was of absolutely no use to me.

At 4PM on weekdays I'm invariably still at the lab pretending to work.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Ah, I did not know about Trek on Saturday morning, now I have a reason to not go back to bed after walking my dog on Saturday.

Now, for bashing that I have to get out.

It serves ENT right for tring to competing with Stargate!

Now, back to me being upset :cry:

Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Having just watched season 2, I am disappointed - I was just getting to the good bit :lol:
The only complaint I can lodge against the series is that a lot of episodes do seem to be filler - "Vanishing Point", anyone? :wink:
Wait, I found another thing - their seems to be almost no CD. Almost no relationship involvement, and no character clashes except with Soval, who frankly, I want to give a good beating to :wink: :wink:
Looks like the Vulcans got their wish, though , the NX-01 mission is being cancelled :wink:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Looks like the Vulcans got their wish, though , the NX-01 mission is being cancelled :wink:
Heh, that didn't occur to me

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Outside looking in

Well... I never got into Enterprise. Every other Trek I can sit through, but just not Enterprise. I found it boring. The characters felt so bland.

And then when everyone was telling me it was getting great, I tried again to watch it. I don't remember what episode it was, but someone died, and I KNEW he was going to die. It was all so predictable. I just gave up then.

Not only that, but Enteprise practically rewrote the whole history of Star Trek. No. Just... no. I can only begin to wonder if the ending is just going to turn out to be a reset button, that the show will be one whole reset button. I can't even begin to express how much that would 1.) scare me, and 2.) would make me roll off the couch laughing.

Running out of ideas is not a good thing. I think the entirety of Enterprise was an absence of ideas. And now because of it, Trek needs a break. It needs a fresh staff, it needs something new to pull it out of oblivion.

Do I think the cancellation is horrible? In a way. It's an impending series finale, and series finales ALWAYS make me depressed, no matter what series it is. I watched the finale of Frasier after having barely watched it at all, and a tear slipped down my cheek. Because this is a Trek finale, it will be worse for me because of the simple fact that it's Trek. A show in one of my favorite series is ending, and that will most certainly make me sad.

On the other hand, I'm glad the cancellation is happening. In this other view, I don't think the cancellation is horrible at all. If anything, it's a mercy killing. Enterprise just wasn't doing it for me, and not one episode, with the exception of "Singularity", could hold my attention. And apparently it wasn't doing it for more than half the nation.

So I shall now end this long post and leave you to sift through it. I apologize for its length, but I had a lot of things to get off my chest about it that I couldn't bring myself to say in any other threads, because it would've been rude.

And there you have it. Another Trek ends not only on a Friday the 13th, but a day before my birthday as well. It's a shame they couldn't pull it out of its ditch... no. Sorry. It was more of a hellhole, honestly... to go on for 7 seasons.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:09 AM

You know, I actually agree with Ginga, sure I'm upset about the cancelation, but that's just because it's STAR TREK, the few episodes that worked for me were; E2. Extinction and Zero Hour.

Trek needs a break, it needs to fire Berman it needs fresh ideas, and it needs to fix the continuity it %#$@ed up.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Not only that, but Enteprise practically rewrote the whole history of Star Trek. No. Just... no. I can only begin to wonder if the ending is just going to turn out to be a reset button, that the show will be one whole reset button. I can't even begin to express how much that would 1.) scare me, and 2.) would make me roll off the couch laughing.

Running out of ideas is not a good thing. I think the entirety of Enterprise was an absence of ideas. And now because of it, Trek needs a break. It needs a fresh staff, it needs something new to pull it out of oblivion.
I have to agree on the re-writing of history...and that perhaps this is in the alternate universe or something?

Enterprise had some good stuff, but it wasn't as good as the other Treks at drawing in a wide audience. It was entertaining, kind of on the level of a good prime-time soap. But DS9 had been good drama, and Voyager, classic sci-fi. Enterprise was kind of a hybrid of these, with a dash of Next Gen for the great 'ships and episodes.

It would have been nice for Enterprise to continue, but again with the changing of Trek-verse history. Why?

Hopefully the Trek franchise will take some time developing something really solid, which does not mess with what the fans want, or with what was created before. Unless it was some Section 31 show...
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 02-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Outside looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
Hopefully the Trek franchise will take some time developing something really solid, which does not mess with what the fans want, or with what was created before. Unless it was some Section 31 show...
One of the big problems is that I hear Berman is too afraid to take risks. Well, in order for anything to be successful at all, you've got to take SOME risks. Taking a risk in this case can only help Trek, I think. Taking a risk can develop something solid.

Unless it's a re-writing history risk. X_x But when I say risk, I'm talking a REAL risk, as in bringing in something TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I don't know what that might be, but whatever it is, I think it would have to involve story arcs.

Is it bad that I want to see Trek gear itself more toward being a prime-time drama? I mean, if it did that, it might draw in more viewers. We'd also be seeing good story arcs, a cast of really well-developed characters with real emotions, and... I dunno. I'm certainly not saying I want Trek to become more "real", but just... real enough in the sense that it could appeal to more people.

Anyone get what I'm saying here? :P
Old 02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Is it bad that I want to see Trek gear itself more toward being a prime-time drama? I mean, if it did that, it might draw in more viewers. We'd also be seeing good story arcs, a cast of really well-developed characters with real emotions, and... I dunno.
You'd be seeing the new Battlestar Galactica series. :wink:
Old 02-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Talking of BG, didn't anyone feel that automatic spacedock which stole Travis looked a bit BG-ish? :lol:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:43 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

I must say that I'm somewhat inclined to agree with those that are saying that Trek needs a breather, not so much in the production of the shows as in those that are making them. I'm hardly ENT's biggest fan by a long shot, but it's still a pity to see it go like this.

As far as the networks are concerned, it seems to be that there are fewer and fewer people at those networks (at least , the ones in the positions that matter) willing to take chances. When the latest incarnation of Trek, a staple franchise of sci-fi for a long time now, is axed like this over ratings, how does that bode for new shows? I'm left feeling distinctly jittery about BSG03 - it seems that being good isn't enough to keep a show on the air anymore (Firefly, anyone?).
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Outside looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
it seems that being good isn't enough to keep a show on the air anymore (Firefly, anyone?).
That's because everyone would rather watch:

1. people getting plunged into a barrell of rats,
2. Paris Hilton and her stupid sister f*cking around and doing nothing on whatever craptacular show they have,
3. people fight each other on some island in the middle of nowhere,
4. some nanny come and make sissy kids behave,
5. some idiots do a make over on either a person or a home,
6. and bring reality into something that's meant to be escaping reality.

Niiiiiice going, America.

(Can you tell that reality TV taking over the world bugs me?)
Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Now, what I really don't like is when people make absurd generalisations like that. Nothing is ever that simple - there is no one party to blame, especially not in something like this.

I'm not getting at you personally, Fuyu, it's just generalisations really bug me, that's all.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-05-2005, 09:33 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

All generalizations?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction