The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, Mayweather finally gets his time in the sun, and the "g-spot" makes another appearance.

Personally, I wasn't impressed by this episode. I actually found the Frankenstein subplot more entertaining than the drama onboard the Horizon.

It seems odd that there's yet another deadly explosive that's been attached to the hull of a ship. Didn't we see this somewhere before? Even with this explosive device on the hull, they only deal with it by saying that Malcolm will fix it when they rendezvous.

I liked the Frankenstein sub-plot though, especially the links T'Pol made to between the movie and the early appearance of the Vulcans on earth. I wonder what Soval would actually have thought of it.

In my opinion, it wasn't bad...but not very good either.[/colorost_uid0]

Bears are crazy, they\'ll bite your head off if you\'re wearing steak on it.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Seems to me I only like episodes other people find mediocre.. aw well.

I liked this episode.

Retro freighter? Great. The whole detaching thing was very practical/nifty, plus we actually got to see why Travis is considered such a good pilot.

Speaking of Travis, it's like [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] all of a sudden gained a seventh crewmember! He acted, he drove somebody other than Mrs. Daisy Archer, and he got in a fight with big brother. Seriously, he was pretty good in this episode.

The B-Plot was lame and contributed zero. Then again, [iost_uid0]Voyager[/iost_uid0] did this a lot it seems, and [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] not much at all. Still, it seemed quite irrelevent, though Travis still got more screentime this week than all the other episodes combined.

I liked it. I didn't expect to, but I did. I've said it before (maybe not here), and I'll say it again: this show has hope. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I think we could have a winner here.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I seem to have the same reaction to episodes that ijdaf does. I like all the ones everyone only things are "eh." I like this episode. It was a good solid mayweather ep. Even though I think a lot of the time, Travis's acting is froced. But whatever. Was still entertaining. As far as the subplot goes, I thought it was interesting, but ijdgaf is right about the doesn't contribute anything and is only used to give other actors lines in the show cause the writers can't be clever enough to use them in the main story. If you're asking for my rating, and I know you're not, i'd give it a B :P[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:49 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I liked it too. (I do have slightly more complicated comments than that, but they'll have to wait for tomorrow.)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-17-2003, 04:55 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I've got to disagree with IJD and Celeste -- I liked this episode, so you can both stop the "I only like episodes other people dislike" moaning. I wasn't blown away by any stretch of the imagination (it's no "Dead Stop") but it managed to hold my attention and that's saying something. (Even "Judgment" had me wearing out the rewind button from wandering train of thought.) I like the way they played up how the rise of Starfleet is resulting in the demise of the cargo pilots, who've been at it for generations. The alien plot was predictable but I liked it nonetheless. And as for the dissing of the B-plot, I was amused. T'Pol and Phlox's take on humanity is always good for a chuckle; my personal favorites were T'Pol telling Phlox to shut up in the movie and her take on Frankenstein as a metaphor for Vulcans.

As for the $64,000 question (Can Anthony Montgomery act?), the answer is... I don't really know. Even when they give him an entire A-plot to himself, I can't say he really came away with more than he brought into the episode. Do we really know anything more about Travis? I have to go with no. Tom Paris got more character depth in "Caretaker" than Travis has had in nearly two seasons, something I find disappointing.

Not a gem in the season, but a well-spent hour. (Mind you, the alternative is work or study, so granted my standards may be lower than usual.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-17-2003, 05:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I thought it was good, though I definitely agree that it didn't develop Mayweather as much as I'd hoped. I pretty much agree with Celeste in her comments.

Yep.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I liked this week's episode. I probably won't remember it as being the all-time best episode of Enterprise, but it was definitely enjoyable for the time.

I thought Travis did a pretty good job through this week. I thought he did a good job trying to express his guilt about his relationship with this father, his guilt about leaving [iost_uid0]Horizon[/iost_uid0], his grief over his father's death, his joy at seeing all his old friends and family, and his frustration at not being listened to all at the same time.

I wasn't troubled by the lack of bomb removal at the end. I was going to be somewhat upset if they didn't at least mention that it was still on their hull, but since they did, I was okay with that.

The Frankenstein storyline had nothing to do with the Travis storyline as best I could tell. Still it was pretty amusing to see T'Pol's reluctance, reaction, and review of the movie.

My final thought: While watching the episode, it struck me that if I were in an MST3King mood, I could've had a lot of fun with the episode. Too bad I wasn't.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay, I guess not a lot of people agree with my opinion of this episode.

I suppose my main problem was, as Celeste mentioned earlier, Montgomery's acting was somewhat forced. I was also let down by the lack of character development, even though this was a prime episode to accomplish that.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 04-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Nope, I agree with ya Wonk. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:51 AM

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Nope, I agree with ya Wonk. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Aww, thanks! Now I don't feel totally alone on this! [/colorost_uid0]