The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 08-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kira here with some long overdue DS9 fivers: Five-Minute "The Nagus" and Five-Minute "Tribunal" by Derek Dean, and guest writer Sa'ar Chasm's second venture into the world of sci-fi compression, Five-Minute "The Muse."[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Keiko: I'm glad Miles is safe, but there's just one thing I don't understand.
O'Brien: One thing?
Keiko: Why did they arrest Miles? What was so important about him?
Sisko: Nothing really. Miles was just a red herring.
[/quoteost_uid0]

Mr. Green: Â You're Mr. Boddy! Â I knew it! Â I was going to expose you.
Wadsworth: But you didn't, so I chose to expose myself.
Col. Mustard: Please, there are ladies present.

Sorry, but I was in Clue (the stage adaptation) a few years ago, and every now and again random lines float to the surface...especially when they're incorporated into a fiver.

EDIT: PS, "Enh" is not a typo, so don't scream at Kira.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 08-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Inconceivable!", "passport" and red herrings, oh my!
[quoteost_uid0]Sisko: Wait! We didn't get your name! How will other Starfleet officers recognize you in two hundred years?
[/quoteost_uid0] , some more.
And Kira reappears! Yay! I trust everything is settling down to some sort of acceptable level?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-10-2003, 08:42 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, and Derek:
[quoteost_uid0]Sisko: Geez, just because the episode's about you doesn't mean you're going to be needlessly brutalized.
O'Brien: You say that.
[/quoteost_uid0] [/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000ost_uid0]And Kira reappears! Yay! I trust everything is settling down to some sort of acceptable level?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"The Nagus" was great.

[quoteost_uid0]Quark: Zek, help me! Someone wants my head!
Zek: If he gets it, then you'll be dead.
Quark: No more rhymes now, I mean it.
Zek: Anybody want a -- GAK![/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Krax: Zek? But you died! I saw you!
Zek: I know, that's what's so funny! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!
Krax: Inconceivable![/quoteost_uid0]

The best part of "Tribunal":

[quoteost_uid0]Evek: Evek to runabout: we are detecting Chief O'Brien on board. Please beam him over so he can be needlessly brutalized.
O'Brien: (muttering) I knew it.[/quoteost_uid0]

And "The Muse":
[quoteost_uid0]Just scrawl down any old rubbish that comes to mind.
Jake: It's like writing a fiver.[/quoteost_uid0]
[quoteost_uid0]Bashir: The vessels in his brain are breaking down.
Sisko: Small words, Doctor.
Bashir: Jake has an owie in his head.[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]The whole thing gets Odo so shaken up he marries Lwaxana. (Well, how else do you explain it?)[/quoteost_uid0]
How else, indeed? (Edit) Oh, and I only just now noticed the pun in the first sentence of that description. Heheh.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 08-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Sorry, but I was in Clue (the stage adaptation) a few years ago, and every now and again random lines float to the surface...especially when they're incorporated into a fiver.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]This isn't the first time I've borrowed ideas from [iost_uid0]Clue[/iost_uid0]. It likely won't be the last either.

By the way, Sa'ar, nice fiver. I especially liked:
[quoteost_uid0]Lwaxana: Odo, I'm pregnant.
Odo: What? How? When? I never...
Lwaxana: Help me, Odo-itan. You're my only hope.
Odo: Um... er....
Lwaxana: Or I could go ask Sisko. I notice he's shaved his head.[/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-11-2003, 04:53 AM

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Guest"]And Kira reappears! Yay! I trust everything is settling down to some sort of acceptable level?[/quoteost_uid0]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Or maybe not? :S[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]With regards to today's update, my Internet Explorer 6 does support the favicons in the bookmarks menu (though they have a habit of reverting to the usual bland "blue e" icon when I'm not looking :suspicious, but I don't think it supports them in the address bar (neither does my Netscape browser, apparently). I rebookmarked the forums and the favicon showed up just fine in the bookmarks. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as "small logos that appear in your browser window". :S I've always appreciated those logos at the top that'll take me back to the main page for the site or for the subsite I'm in, as the case may be; but I'm guessing that's not what you're referring to.

I clicked on your main site icon link in IE and got nothing. In Netscape 6 I saw a string of Rewind arrows, ('s, ?'s, and map symbols (the characters consisting of lines that bend and intersect like roads on a city map). :S The link to the forum icon also featured white-on-black diamonds.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 08-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]They're workin in Netscape 6.2 or whatever crap version I have of this browser. Neato Zeke. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]With regards to today's update, my Internet Explorer 6 does support the favicons in the bookmarks menu (though they have a habit of reverting to the usual bland "blue e" icon when I'm not looking :suspicious, but I don't think it supports them in the address bar (neither does my Netscape browser, apparently).[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]IE does sort-of support favicon (ironic that it has the flakiest implementation since it invented the favicon).

Steps for IE (at least my version of IE, which is 6):
- Go to 5MV.
- Bookmark page.
- When you access your Favorites, you should see that the site has the 5MV icon.
- If you select the favorite, you will go to the site, and the icon in the location bar will change to the 5MV icon.

Bookmarking is key. Otherwise IE won't look for the favicon. I don't know why it works like that, but that's IE for you.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, Internet Explorer's support of favicons is a bit sporadic. As well as appearing on the favourites menu, I think they sometimes pop up when you return to the page using the back button. All seems to depend what mood IE is in.

[quoteost_uid0]I don't think Internet Explorer supports them yet [/quoteost_uid0]

Wow Zeke. I love the optimistic way you added 'yet' to the end of that. Must be like they don't support position:fixed in CSS2... yet! Â :madder:[/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:32 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I used to be an IEer myself, so I stay positive about it. I was actually a Netscape user at first; IE won me over, and then Opera won me over from IE. Opera has yet to disappoint me, and I've since converted Kira.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 08-14-2003, 04:37 AM
...and not cowardly

[color=#000000ost_uid0]In IE6, you can get a favicon to show up by going to the little "e" icon on the address line, clicking on it, moving the mouse a little, and releasing.

There's a little trick to it, but it's not hard to do.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I was actually a Netscape user at first; IE won me over, and then Opera won me over from IE.[/quoteost_uid0]

If my computer wasn't currently packed up in boxes, I'd be using Mozilla. I have no idea how well it works, since I wasn't able to get the Internet working after I switched over to Linux. I blame Telus, since I couldn't get it to work beforehand either.

Stupid Telus.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I was actually a Netscape user at first; IE won me over, and then Opera won me over from IE.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I started out a Netscape user. About the time I was learning about web standards and how askew Netscape 4 was, I switched to linux, where I had to stay with Netscape. Fortunately, not long after that mozilla started coming out with its milestone builds, and I've been a mozilla user from then on.

I did try Opera once at some point (probably around '97 or so), but I didn't like its interface at the time and so I stuck with Netscape.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My friend was on Opera and he said it was good, as in popup free, but screws up webpages. :shrugs: I used to be a Netscaper too, but now I've been converted into Explorer-dom. AAAH! The Microsoft Shadows are taking over! NOOOOOO! Must.... resist.... glack. Â :dead:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Did someone say Microsoft Shadows?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Gehehehehe. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That's not actually the link I wanted to provide -- I used to have this hilarious wallpaper which was an actual ad for Shadows '98. Unfortunately, I can no longer find the site I got it from, and so far my mad Google skills haven't managed to locate it. All I remember is that the same site had a wallpaper of Kosh and a Shadow, with Kosh wearing a halo and the Shadow smoking a cigar.[/colorost_uid0]