The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Heard what happened at the Oscars last night? If not, 5MV is here to help you catch up. Read [iost_uid0]Return of the King[/iost_uid0] wins all awards, the first installment of a new TJI feature called [iost_uid0]This Just In[/iost_uid0] Brief. (The layout is temporary -- I thought of TJIB just this afternoon.)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The Tox Uthat... Very funny![/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Hee hee hee.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 03-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]"Needless to say, I'm delighted," commented Mr. Jackson. "This exceeds my wildest hopes. I assure all those who have chosen our film that your confidence in us is not misplaced. The money from these awards will be put to good use buying us all solid gold neckties and enabling me to hire many young hobbit servants for my tower-like home."[/quoteost_uid0]

I like this new idea, Zeke... :smile:[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-02-2004, 05:51 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Other awards received by The Return of the King include the Pulitzer Prize, the World Cup, the Tox Uthat, the golden fleece, the Darwin Awards, the Sci-Fi Emmys, and the Holy Grail.[/quoteost_uid0]

Hehe. Zeke, you forgot "The amulet of aranon the unready". They won that too. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I kind of like the idea of ROTK winning the World Cup. It just tickles me pink.

[Hailie Mathers voice] You're funny, Zeke! [/Hailie Mathers voice][/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ I like that it won the Darwin awards.

Theoden wins the Darwin award for not only deliberately setting himself on fire (and trying to set his son on fire), but also running off the top level of Minas Tirith.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think you mean Denethor. Â Theoden doesn't qualify for a Darwin since getting crushed by his own horse was accidental and not due to stupidity... well, except for the whole "taking on the massive army of the Dark Lord" part.

Just when I thought the film was getting the respect it deserved....

Did anyone see Billy Crystal's intro with him edited into the nominated movies? Â Or his Lord of the Rings song to the tune of "My Favorite Things"? Â I haven't laughed so hard in ages... I'm determined to find a copy of it on Kazaa if at all humanly possible.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0]:lol: The Tox Uthat is hilarious.

I was pleasantly suprised that they won every oscar they were nominated for, I expected them to win a lot, but not that many. Being the big nerd that I am, I have watched all the extras on the extended versions for the first two and the amount of time and effort that went into those films is certainly deserving of many oscars.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I think you mean Denethor. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Crap. Note to self: Drink coffee first, then post. Not the other way around.

You'd think with the number of times I'd read the books (and seen the movies), I'd at least keep characters' names straight. Sigh.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[quoteost_uid0="Quinalla"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I have watched all the extras on the extended versions for the first two and the amount of time and effort that went into those films is certainly deserving of many oscars.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Damn straight. I've only gotten through maybe a third of the features on my TT EE, and I'm already blown away by the amount of thought and detail that went into every aspect of production.

Incidentally, RotK may have tied Titanic and Ben-Hur for number of Oscars won with 11, but both of those films lost in at least one of the categories they were nominated in. I'd say that puts RotK at the top of the pile. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Just when I thought the film was getting the respect it deserved....[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey, I'm happy about that too. I was glad to see you were right about them waiting for the end of the trilogy to recognize LotR. But something had to be said about this absolutely ridiculous number of Oscars. [/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Lone Ranger

Location: Where it's cold in winter and hot in summer, yet not warm in spring.

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It was very good, but why is there a link to the non-existant Brief #2?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Because I forgot the exclamation points, that's why.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-02-2004, 05:08 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Kira"]Incidentally, RotK may have tied Titanic and Ben-Hur for number of Oscars won with 11, but both of those films lost in at least one of the categories they were nominated in. Â I'd say that puts RotK at the top of the pile. [/quoteost_uid0]
Or you could say that that puts RotK at the bottom of the pile, because it was nominated for "only" 11 Oscars [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Or you could say that that puts RotK at the bottom of the pile, because it was nominated for "only" 11 Oscars[/quoteost_uid0]

I'm with Kira. It has a higher percentage or win/loss ratio or batting average or whatever you want to call it.

Plus it doesn't have Leonardo or Charleton Heston.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Kira"]I think you mean Denethor. [/quoteost_uid0]
Crap. Note to self: Drink coffee first, then post. Not the other way around.

You'd think with the number of times I'd read the books (and seen the movies), I'd at least keep characters' names straight. Sigh.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Side observation: the names are near-anagrams of each other. A cup of good, strong coffee (maybe two) should get that sorted out. [/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Former Staff

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Or you could say that that puts RotK at the bottom of the pile, because it was nominated for "only" 11 Oscars [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]That's only because they got completely shafted in the acting categories. Also, Gollum appears to have never existed -- did you notice he wasn't in a single effects shot they showed? And don't make me open a can of whoop-@$$ on you.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I'm not looking to make you do that, Kira, and I really honestly hate to say this, but I don't think I saw any consistently strong acting performances from any of the main characters that deserved nominations . There were strong moments and competent performances, but overall...acting was definitely the weak point of the entire trilogy, not just RotK. Which, considering how strong the directing, special effects, costuming, etc, were, isn't saying all that much , but still...[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

Old 03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Administrator

[color=#000000:post_uid0]It's been nice knowing you, NAH my man.[/color:post_uid0]