The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default The Wiikend is here

Okay, time to make me jealous! Who got a Wii today?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I was totally gonna IM you and tell you to change every instance of "we" to "wii" on the whole site. Never saw you on though. Perhaps it's for the best.

Anyway, I camped for 15 hours and picked up a wii, a controller, and a nunchuck. We were 2nd and 3rd in line. And because of confusion, we were some of the last to pick up extra controllers. It was fairly hectic. And I have doubts we would've made it if we had shown up early this morning. So many sad kids/parents being turned down because vouchers had already been handed out.

Wii sold out as bad as PS3. Only Nintendo made like three times as many systems.

Eat that, Sony.

(under obligation to open mine next week... too bad)

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

lkdfbndjbnjidafbkjnfbjnkfbjn.......
God I'm just....,...,..,.,., I can not stand the wait. It's out on the 11th of next month over here. I've never been so excited about a console. It looks truely amazing. It's got so many new exciting bits and bobs on it.
I did think about importing it, but I think part of the fun is the going down and getting it from the shop. Waiting in line. Talking to other people about it. Plus the shops are opening at midnight, and it's gonna be all christmasy too. And then I'll hand the money over, and then pick the games and then open the box...And, and, AND !

Breath...Breath...Breath. And relax.

Seriously, I've almost at the point of having to sit down and breath into a bag everytime I see adverts on TV.
I really think this is gonna be huge. I hope it is. Because Nintendo deserve to be on top again, for once. I'm not anti-PS3 or Xbox or anything. But what ever you think about Nintendo, you can't say they don't try new things. And come up with some fantastic ideas. Analog Sticks? (Yeah I know they weren't quite the first) Rumble packs? Four controller ports on a console? Touch screen control? Microphone enhanced games? Free Online Gaming? Old Game download system? Flipping amazing wireless controllering thingy that will change how we play games?
And the line up is just......
Zelda! In a launch line up!
Mario soon....
Smash brothers...
Metroid.... (Can not wait)

Plus...Plus! That free Wii Sports!!!!! Fantastic.

Yeah, so I might get one.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Sorry if that was a bit garbled...I've had a lot of Ribena tonight...

BTW, on gameFAQ.com Samus won this years character battle, but Link took the Battle Royal. Both Nintendo guys! (Or Girls as it maybe)
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Burt; 11-20-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

What's a wii, then?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Sarcasm is DEAD to me.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Infinitely prolonged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
But what ever you think about Nintendo, you can't say they don't try new things.
Sure you can. Now repeat after me: Nintendo doesn't try new...

Sorry about that. Let's try again: Nintendo doesn't try n...

Okay, once more: Nintendo doesn't try...

Alright, how about this: Nintendo doesn't not try new things. There. I said it. Just don't read that sentence too carefully and we should be fine.

Anyway, while I don't have plans on purchasing a console anytime soon, the Wii is certainly the one I'm most excited about. It certainly seems to be the most innovative new system, and it doesn't hurt to have a library of classic games to download. And the price is a big draw too. I hope it's as good as it seems like it's going to be.

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
It's out on the 11th of next month over here.
My birthday is good for something after all!

No, I didn't get one. I only got a Gamecube about four months or so ago. I'm betting it'll be a while. Not only do I have to save up, but I have to get over the fact that the controller is a remote.

Which I still haven't since I saw it.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 AM
You just activated his Trek card

I'd already decided six months ago that getting a Gamecube would be a waste of money, since a Revolution will do everything that the 'Cube can, except use a Gameboy Player, which I'm very interested in. I wonder if they could sell Gameboy games through Virtual Console. Not Gameboy Advance games, of course, those are still on the market, but there are some nice original Gameboy games that'd be nice to have, and they'd be cheaper than Nintendo games, too.

Oh, and I have right here the free prerelease brochure from Best Buy. Here are some funny and/or intriguing quotes from it:

"The Wii revolution begins! Maybe it's name is funny, but Nintendo could be laughing all the way to the bank with its next-generation console."
See what they did there? "Wii revolution?" I'll have to send Best Buy the bill to fix the stiches in my side from all that laughing.

"Nintendo believes game controllers have become too complicated for the average non-gaming citizen. By reducing the number of buttons and enabling intuition to control the game, it hopes to create a less-intimidating pick up and play approchability for Wii games."
Uh, I know they want to attract people outside the teen boy and teen-at-heart young guy markets, and I also realize that the original Nintendo was abosolutely groundbreaking with only five buttons on the controller, but you don't see Playstation and Xbox losing money, do you?

Now, an aside about the Virtual Console. Using the figures in the brochure, the price of an NES game is $5, SNES $8, and N64 $10. I can see the rationale for this, but it just seems to me that just like all games aren't created equal, maybe the prices shouldn't either. Think about it: tweak the graphics on Super Mario 3 and they could probably charge a LOT more than $5. On the same hand, there are a lot of N64 games that people don't think are worth a buck apiece. At the local pawn shop guess what the N64 games were? At least nine out of ten of them were sporting games. I suppose they just won't offer a plethora of sporting games on Virtual Console, but what about stuff like Turok and Sarge's Army Men? There might be people willing to shell out three bucks, but not ten. Nintendo might be gouging themselves here. For that matter, I know there should be a lot of people willing to pay more for legacy games if they're turned into enhanced remakes. For example, it'd be nice to finally get a legal All Bonds option for GoldenEye. I suppose that even though all four actors are alive it's really up to Broccoli Productions, the Fleming estate, and a lot, I mean a LOT of lawyers.

"You literally draw back the remote like you would a bowstring and then release your arrow by pressing the trigger. The sound of the arrow flying from bow to target comes across as an audio effect from a tiny mic housed in the Wii remote."
Um, I think that would be "tiny speaker." Hey, I'm a nitpicker!

Oh, and one picture shows the four tiny lights on the Wiimote showing who's Player One, Player Two, etc. Gotta wonder if you can choose which Wiimote's which, or if you gotta play Hot Wiimote to get the right one.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Am I the only one who thinks this console looks absolutely rediculous?

Although, I'm probably just bitter because I will suck at the majority of the games they'll bring out on it...