The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Neither, it's "frisdrank"

But if I have to choose, soda. Pop is music. Then again, soda is the stuff you put in water if your feet hurt. Tricky. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:55 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't call it either soda or pop. I always refer to fizzy drinks as....fizzy drinks. Boring, I know.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]When I was a kid, it was soda pop. Now it's a soda (or, for a lot of people in this town, Coke is a generic. :eyeroll: )

On snow: It's just fine when it stays up on the mountains, where it belongs. I'd rather not have to deal with it on a daily basis.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]When I was a kid, it was soda pop. Now it's a soda (or, for a lot of people in this town, Coke is a generic.[/quoteost_uid0]

You're from Atlanta?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-24-2003, 03:36 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ No, but for a town just outside SF, there are a heck of a lot of Southern accents here.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Pop. but you don't have to go very far to find soda. Ahhh... I remeber the countless arguments with my cousins from millwakee...

"do you have any soda"
"no, but i can give you some pop"
"soda"
"pop"
Soda!"
"Pop!
"SODA!"
"POP!"
you get the picture

This is a bit of an add on that that one

Water fountain, Drinking fountain, or bubbler?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-26-2003, 10:50 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Drinking fountain.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Generally "pop".

And "water fountain" or "drinking fountain", though I think it's more often "water fountain".[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 11-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]We don't have those, so I really woudn't know.[/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 11-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Water Fountain, or Energy Renewal Fountain (lol)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]We use water fountain or drinking fountian, but my cousines use bubbler for some reason...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-27-2003, 10:01 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Bubbler - totally, but I believe that's a northern Midwest, thingy. I generally call it the fountain now...

I grew up calling it both soda AND pop - I have no qualms about either (although now I, with a few friends, call it Soda-Pop, we're slowly bridging the gap, one person at a time)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Another question to go along with Katy's:

Have you ever traveled somewhere by plane? Do you prefer to fly instead of drive?

I've flown twice, to Arizona and back. I would have preferred to ride in the car there and back, but I enjoyed the flight when I wasn't thinking about how much a bad landing could hurt.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 11-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]i've never flown. I've driven pleanty of places.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-28-2003, 06:25 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I've flown four times, once to Malta and back and once to Turkey. The experience depends a lot on with which company you fly. The first time was with the KLM (Royal Airline Company, Dutch) and it went pretty smoothly, with a soft landing. The second time, on the other hand, was with a Turkish company, and was a little more bumby.

I suppose I'd rather fly over long distances than drive. I tend to get sick in cars.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I've flown to Australia and back twice, and to Edmonton and back several times. Apparently there was a flight or two to Nevada or Wyoming when I was little, but I don't remember them. In a couple of weeks I'll be boarding a plane for Ottawa.

I prefer to fly. Wedging myself into car for hours at a time isn't all that fun. If I'm a passenger, I can read or sleep, but if I'm driving I have to maintain concentration on the road. Kelowna to Vancouver is tolerable, but I wouldn't care to drive any further. In a country the size of Canada, you need to fly if you want to get anywhere within 24 hours (and even that's a stretch if you fly Air Canada). I'm flying WestJet, and it's going to take me 9 hours to get from Kelowna to Ottawa. That includes an hourlong stopover in Calgary and two hours in Hamilton.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Saxamaphone"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Bubbler - totally, but I believe that's a northern Midwest, thingy. I generally call it the fountain now...[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yep. Bubbler. Go anywhere out of the New England area and no one knows what the heck you're talking about. lol[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:29 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, I've flown a few times, usually between Manchester and Lewis (via Glasgow or Edinburgh). I wouldn't like to try taking that trip any other way[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 12-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

[color=#000000ost_uid0]i have flown about six times, the weekend before last i flew to Melbourne and back (from Adelaide) so that's less than an hour flying. I prefer to drive because it takes longer and you see more (if you're not reading, like i usually am) we usually drive to Melbourne, a six/seven hour trip. It's fun to watch the landscape change as we travel.

Being only fifteen, i haven't actually driven myself anywhere before.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Let's see. In chronological order, I've flown from Singapore to Phuket, Perth, China, Hawaii (and from Hawaii to Los Angeles), Sydney, Bangkok (several times, my dad was stationed there for a bit), Hong Kong, Chiang Mai (from Bangkok) and New Zealand. In two week's time I'll be flying up to Bangkok again for a short trip because my parents need to get rid of their frequent flyer points before they expire. My dad spent almost one year travelling on business and picked up so many frequent flyer points (because sometimes my mom used to go with him) that I flew business class to New Zealand last December. It was [iost_uid0]fantastic[/iost_uid0]. Singapore Airlines really does know how to make one comfortable.

Ha ha, I bet you're all jealous of me now... ::runs::

I've been driving for more than a year now, but only in Singapore, which has a maximum speed limit of 90 kph on expressways so it's no fun. Not that I give a rat's patoot about speed limits [read: made to be broken, they are], but that basically means that the buggers in front of me rarely drive faster than 110kph. Even in the fast lane. ::scowls::

Edit: The last few questions. It's neither soda nor pop, we just call each drink by its name or lump them all under the category of "gassy drinks". And it's called a 'water cooler' in Singapore. Water fountains are landscapings that you find in nice parks. [/colorost_uid0]