The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 03-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

[color=#000000ost_uid0]In First Contact, I assumed Picard meant 8000 cubic lightyears.
And 8000 is hardly going to be exact. I figure that's just rounded up/down to the nearest hundred.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, one thing`s for sure. Sovereign is 685 meters long, according to that website with Sovereign specs. It ain`t 16 kilometers! Star Trek ships travel at Ludicrous Speeds, they are not ludicrously big! And this is beyond Ludicrous!

About the Federation, seems like someone will have to travel into the future and measure it... any volunteers?[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 03-24-2004, 07:11 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Me, Me! Pick Me![/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Go right ahead. But you have to return, you know that? No staying in the nice idealistic heavenly 24th Century![/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 03-24-2004, 10:14 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Anyone have a time machine I could borrow?

I will come back. Long enough to tell you all how many ships there are and how big the Federation is, and then I'll head back, to the Future![/colorost_uid0]
Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

My guess is They have millions of starships in the works, ready for bulding Once Picard blows up the one he has. Who knows, for all we know after the Dominion war they sant a shit load of ships into the Gamma quadrent.

What I know about the Trek space is, they are exploring The Milky Way Galaxy, The Federation occupies most of the Alpha Quadrent and some of the Beta quadrent. The Kilnons and Romulins occupy all of the Beta quadrent excaept for what the Federation occupies, The Borg and species 8472 control most of the Delta Quadrent, and The Dominion controls most of the Gamma Quadrent. But that's just what I know...

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 AM
Lone Ranger

Location: Where it's cold in winter and hot in summer, yet not warm in spring.

Are you having fun reviving every dead thread, KGM?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

It wasn't dead, it was just pining.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

I agree with Gatac that this fleet more evolved than was constructed - otherwise why keep on Miranda and Excelsior class ships, which are out-dated? And why keep on as training vessels constitution class ships? (I got this I think from the non-game Starship Creator, lol. Also, looking at SFC3 (which is an excellent game - the Starfleet Command series is one of the best sets of games I've played in a looong time... ) the Sovereign is longer than the Galaxy, but not as fat. a 16km Sovereign is insane - I mean it's not so much larger than the Galaxy....from what ya can see. Also, take into account that new ship types take a long time to be tweaked and perfected. Oh, and in theory, you can replicate anything, with a) enough resources, and b) a big enough replicating space. Oh, and c) enough time - if you think that it takes time to replicate Jake's camera equipment in WYCBT, then building a DN from scratch would take quite a lot of time and energy. All in all, it is probably cheaper in time and energy just to build one manually than create on from hydrogen atoms bit by bit....
On the subject of large ships (drawn from SFC, the earlier 3 having been set in TOS/TMP time....), the federation battleship (BB, being larger than DN....) had two deflector dish-hulls, about six warp nacelles, and I think i read somewhere that either it or its romulan counterpart needed it's nacelles replacing about every six months...if we assume that would be about 16km long, and about 10km wide, we have a ship of enourmous size, which, (from personal experience, here.. ) is too slow to do anything in a fight with anything other than another BB....so they would be useless except for Starbase or homeworld assaults (by homeworld, i mean as in starbase is to space station as homeworld is to planet kinda thing...) you can picture a fleet of 'em closing in on a planet, and the captains chair, "The Battleship is cleared to fire" (-recognise the quote?)
But a ship that size is overall vastly inefficient, ridiculously slow, and overall almost entirely useless. So it makes sense that from that, ALL the major empires reduce the size of their starships, for a more all-rounded approach to combat (ie more maneuverability). So, in conclusion - Sovereign= tiny by comparison to BB, which was massive. :wink:
just my opinions based on what i've picked up, tho.... :wink:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:10 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaru
Are you having fun reviving every dead thread, KGM?
Yes, I love doing that for some reason

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Ahem. Does no-one have anything to say on my theory? I'm waiting for an opinion....I LIKE long, drawn out debates......
Old 10-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
On the subject of large ships (drawn from SFC, the earlier 3 having been set in TOS/TMP time....), the federation battleship (BB, being larger than DN....) had two deflector dish-hulls, about six warp nacelles, and I think i read somewhere that either it or its romulan counterpart needed it's nacelles replacing about every six months...if we assume that would be about 16km long, and about 10km wide, we have a ship of enourmous size, which, (from personal experience, here..Smile ) is too slow to do anything in a fight with anything other than another BB....so they would be useless except for Starbase or homeworld assaults (by homeworld, i mean as in starbase is to space station as homeworld is to planet kinda thing...) you can picture a fleet of 'em closing in on a planet, and the captains chair, "The Battleship is cleared to fire" (-recognise the quote?)
That kind of ship only exists in fanboy wetdreams. It's ridiculously huge, ridiculously uneconomical, and emphatically fanfic.

Somehow I don't think I'm providing your long, drawn-out debate
Old 10-26-2004, 12:12 AM

I know. I never said I approved, did I?