The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 07-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter
Default 5MDW feedback in the DW community

Thought you all might enjoy some discussion of 5MDW on the Outpost Gallifrey forums. The specific impetus was my post on the publication of 5-Minute "The Parting of the Ways". It's just a trickle now, but we're slowly spreading the word... I am the Whofivervangelist!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galacticzero:
5-Minute "The Parting of the Ways" has been posted at 5-Minute Doctor Who, part of yet another Cliffhanger Week event at Fiveminute.net. Here's a preview:

Doctor: Let's go. The Daleks are going to attack the space station and then Earth.
Jack: Did you find out how they survived?
Doctor: They've been grinding up humans ejected from the reality shows to make new Dalek tissue.
Jack: You mean --
Doctor: Yes. The Daleks ... are made of Spam.

For the full fiver, check out http://www.fiveminute.net/.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drassad:
Well, seeing as how they imply that BW/POTW may not be the best plotted thing since sliced bread... the 5 min parody may not prove to be too popular around here! You have been warned...

agent compassion:
Baked beans are off!

Lord_Fear:
The title says it all really, and it makes a very good funny job at it.

I thought I'd never see Daleks chanting some bits of the spam song... I'll get me sausages.

matt52
No...surely no-one is suggesting that TPOTW might not be the best plotted thing ever? Perhaps they might be the same shameful lot who claim to have spotted differences in the quality of writing over the series and suggested that some shows are less deserving of a 5/5 than some of the others? Or maybe even those wreckers who have dared to question whether some participants in the recent series overstretched themselves by trying to take on too many roles at the same time? Or that emotional content works best in the context of decent storylines? Gosh how I hate those people.

Mari:
Well, I enjoyed reading it. Does that mean I'm going to be banned from the boards? Please, not that! (I can't cope without my "Squee Thread" fix...)

matt52:
On the basis of their mini-scripts, I think the 5 min gang deserve an episode of their own next series. Go on RTD be brave (and take a rest from writing so many episodes - one a season is surely enough for you, given everything else you've got going on).

Wil Cantrell (moderator):
I had no idea these existed! I've read the 5-Minute Enterprise stories from TrekToday and always got a kick out of them.

Thanks for the linkage!

galacticzero:

Originally Posted by drassad
Well, seeing as how they imply that BW/POTW may not be the best plotted thing since sliced bread... the 5 min parody may not prove to be too popular around here! You have been warned...

O.K., so... Doctor Who fans are not supposed to have a sense of humor about anything written by St. Russell? Oh dear. I hadn't known that.

For the record, I loved the episodes, and if I really thought they sucked I would have been too depressed to write a parody. I loved "The Unquiet Dead," but that didn;t stop me from writing a snarky parody of that, too.

I'd swear by my own head, as Claudius used to, that RTD and the new Doctor Who are the best thing to happen to TV in 40 years. But if we have to be blindly loyal and we can't have a bit of fun then what's the point?

Thanks for all the kudos from the rest of you, and stop back again periodically for Classic and New Series parodies through the summer. Starting at Christmas and in the new year we'll be trying to put out regular parodies of episodes soon after broadcast.

drassad:
Hey, I'm with you on that, mate. In my book, parodies and humour done out of affection is simply marvellous, and you can tell easily whether a person likes his subject matter or loathes it. I think the 'Completely Useless Encyclopedias' should be on the bookshelf of every self respecting Dr Who and Star Trek fan! For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the site!

Viala:
That was great. I'd insert the 'rotfl' animated smiley if this forum had one!

Wil Cantrell:
It's my understanding that in the 5-Minute writings, no writer or character is immune to the satire, no matter how saintly he or she is.

Admiral Mudd:
I loved reading them.

btw, I'm begging them to join my webring. I'd love to have a great site like this be a member. Pleeeeeaassssse join 5MDW!

veemoffa:
Great fun! Especially liked the parady of "Dalek" and the 1st Doc material. I'll be checking back for more.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:49 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Y'know, I did have an account there, but it was obviously pruned, and thanks to this new policy of not accepting web-based e-mail addresses for accounts means I can't sign up again. Feh.

Nice to see such a (on the whole) positive reaction to it though.

EDIT: Noticed something strange - even though you're a section head, Scooter, you're not a section head in title yet. Did you forget to bribe the appropriate person so sommat?
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Looked like a pretty positive response from here.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 07-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
EDIT: Noticed something strange - even though you're a section head, Scooter, you're not a section head in title yet. Did you forget to bribe the appropriate person so sommat?
Pointy, I'm just proud to be a Member. Better to be a Member than a Head, right? (There's a dirty joke there somewhere.)

Actually I think only the Staffers get special designations -- Sa'ar, like me, is a section head but not a staffer, and he is also rated at Member.

I prefer to think of it as Lt. J.G. I get one white pip and one black pip. Someday I'll earn those two white pips! And then Data will push me into the ocean. (At least, that's ow it happens in my dreams... Where was I?)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

GAH! Why is it that DW fans are so b!tchy?
Honestly, put two in a room and theyll be at each others throats before you can say "knife".....

Also...........RTD the best thing to happen in 40 years? AAAAAAAAAH!
*runs and hides in a corner*
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Quote:
Pointy, I'm just proud to be a Member. Better to be a Member than a Head, right? (There's a dirty joke there somewhere.)
That's something I'll leave for Sa'ar.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Actually I think only the Staffers get special designations -- Sa'ar, like me, is a section head but not a staffer, and he is also rated at Member.
I'm still not clear on how that works.

What I think is really up is that the forum software is on the fritz and the plethora of special events have precluded fixing it.

Quote:
That's something I'll leave for Sa'ar.
No dice. Some jokes are funnier when they're implied.

(Also, I fear the PG-13 Sign)
Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
What I think is really up is that the forum software is on the fritz and the plethora of special events have precluded fixing it.
Poor Zeke. He'll probably open up his thread thinking, "Oh, that's nice, the little Whovians are talking about the site, I wonder what they're saying," and then find that even here we're nitpicking the 5M site mechanics!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
GAH! Why is it that DW fans are so b!tchy?
Honestly, put two in a room and theyll be at each others throats before you can say "knife".....
Meanwhile, Trek fans are always so polite and consensus-driven. You know, like the Nerd Force 5 in Galaxy Quest.

The funny thing is that there's actually no dissent in the thread--only a guy warning that we would encounter dissent. It turned out to be all a paranoid delusion. I feel like Seven in "One."
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Hmmmmm.......having had constant arguments with Who fans, that came as a surprise to me....I salute you for your diplomacy.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:04 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Oh, way to go, Scooter. People are now finding this site with the search term "dalek sex."

I see you left out the post from the guy who was so disappointed to have gotten his hopes up for nothing more impressive than text.

Quote:
The funny thing is that there's actually no dissent in the thread--only a guy warning that we would encounter dissent.
Such is our mindset these days. Ever notice how after September 11th, the number of people urging Americans not to "retaliate" against innocent Arab citizens -- and the number of TV episodes based on such incidents -- was vastly greater than the number that actually happened?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

I dunno, Z. I didn't see 481 episodes of "love thy Muslim neighbour" on tv after 9/11, that's for sure. And that's just reported incidents.

Anti-Defamation League notes, State Department stats for 2001.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Then we don't watch the same shows. But this is off-topic, so no further posts on the subject from anybody, myself included.

How 'bout that Doctor Who, eh?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Indeed. Ever notice "Whovian" kinda sounds like an owl enthusiast?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
Indeed. Ever notice "Whovian" kinda sounds like an owl enthusiast?
I always thought it sounded like a lover of vacuum cleaners.

Now you know I'm an Anglophile. Does anyone still call them hoovers in the UK? Actually I love the verb, hoover, even more. I think it stuck in my head from reading the sccripts to Monty Python and encountering Mrs. Beethoven "hoovering loudly" while Beethoven is trying to compose. There's just no way to say that in American English.

Whovian is a controversial term. Some people hate it, think it's condescending (like the Trekkie/Trekker thing). Even worse is super-nerd stuff like Gallifreyan. I don't get the big deal, but then I very seldom use "Whovian." The problem is that the neutral tern, "Doctor Who fan" ("DW fan"), is blandly prosaic by comparison. Probably Whovian would serve a useful role if it were generally adopted.

Quote:
I see you left out the post from the guy who was so disappointed to have gotten his hopes up for nothing more impressive than text.
Heheh. Yeah, I copied the whole "Parting of the Ways" thread and then went back and stuck on the positive comment from the other thread, completely ignoring the dork you mentioned. I mean, yeah, the flash bunny stuff is hilarious, but to expect it when you visit any parody site and then be disappointed is just deluded.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Oh, way to go, Scooter. People are now finding this site with the search term "dalek sex."
Hah hah, you're right -- ninth search result in google for "dalek sex" is the fiver for "Dalek"! Though to be fair that's SCMoll's doing, not mine...
Old 07-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Staff

Quote:
People are now finding this site with the search term "dalek sex."
It worries me that you've actually Googled that.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:21 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
Quote:
People are now finding this site with the search term "dalek sex."
It worries me that there are EIGHT more links BEFORE that one...
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This is a joke, right? You do know that when webmasters talk about a search term people are finding their sites with, they mean that the search page has shown up in their referrals...?

Old 07-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Staff

Quote:
This is a joke, right? You do know that when webmasters talk about a search term people are finding their sites with, they mean that the search page has shown up in their referrals...?
You realise who you're talking to, right? *g*

To answer the second question...I do now.