The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 03-30-2003, 01:04 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So far we have:

DOS-1
Windows-
95-2

98-7 (including the Scottish Edition :suspicious

ME-2.5 (.5 comes from PHJ's forgetfulnes)

2000-.5 (PHJ)

NT-1

XP-5

(All these include the outcome Celeste's multiple black market connections.)

Linux:
Debian-1

Mandrake-2 (Might as well include me, I get it tomorrow)

I'm surprised there are (so far) no Mac-users on the boards. I am curious what the servers run on, however.

And Kosst, this is the first I've heard of a "everything after 98 sucks" movement. I frequent Slashdot and Geek.com, and the general sentiment is "Windows bad, everything else, good." If I offended you, no offence meant. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:22 AM
Third eye blind

Send a message via MSN to Andy Taylor

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, we started on a good ol' Windows 95 setup, before an upgrade to 98. Then by the time we go to ME edition, we couldn't get back to 98 fast enough...

I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable about computers, so what's all this Linux stuff about? I heard something about it a very long time ago, and apparently it's good... Anything that kicks Microsoft in the shins is good by me...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Win 95 on the downstairs computer. Win XP on this one.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-30-2003, 02:00 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Linux is an open-sorce (anyone can modify and redistribute the source for free with little restrictions) operating system that can do what windows does a lot better, but unfourtunatly is compatible with less progarms. (Without WINE, that is.) Since it is open-source, there are may types. I read that Linux.com has a good list, but you can download most of them free-and perfectly legal!- at www.linuxiso.org. It's based on UNIX, a not-very-user-friendly OS. Normal Linux is command-line (DOS is command-line), but when paired with a program called X11, it adds a windows-like [bost_uid0]GUI[/bost_uid0] ([bost_uid0]G[/bost_uid0]raphical [bost_uid0]U[/bost_uid0]ser [bost_uid0]I[/bost_uid0]nterface). AFAIK, less than ten viruses affect Linux.

Anyone finds holes in my explanation, do what all l337 Linux users do: fix 'em![/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2003, 02:07 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]This seems cogent to the discussion at hand:

Microsoftium (Ms): comes in isotopes of 3, 95, 98 and 2000. Does not react with non-Ms atoms. In solid form, possesses extremely large volume per mole. Tends to decay to a useless state when the chemist isn't looking. Impossible to predict reactivity, 'cause it never reacts to the same conditions in the same way twice. Normally colourless crystalline powder, but will inexplicably turn blue and cease reacting for no apparent reason.

This is why science geekdom and satire are a bad combination.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2003, 02:23 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Recent research has brought to light the curious fact that the isotope 95 often, when combined with the recently-named Microwordium and the unstable element Printerium, reacts explosively. :dead:[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-30-2003, 06:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Good one Saar and NAHTMMM... well it made me laugh for a few minutes. :lol:

Anyway, to the question at hand (well on the screen).

The 'Good Old' Desktop Computer - Windows 98
The Laptop - Windows XP Professional (Not just your common Home edition!)

Both legitimate copies too!

I'm also close to finishing downloading Debian. I've no idea which computer it'll go on yet though. (Probably the old one, as this laptop only has about 400mb free space left).[/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Good one Saar and NAHTMMM[/quoteost_uid0]

Thankee sir. For once it wasn't stolen off someone else.[/colorost_uid0]