The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Don't they use cannons for Pops Goes the Fourth or whatever it is the A&E channel shows every year for the Fourth of July?[/quoteost_uid0]

It goes something like "dadadaDadadadaDadadada da da daa DUCK!"[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Heh, my computer is named SPAWN. HellSPAWN when I'm particularly ticked at it. Hehehehe...

Why is it taboo to associate Her Fiverness with the, er, C-word?

JAZZ?!

MUST NOT... GORE...

~Nan[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]From the Kira FAQ:
[quoteost_uid0]Q: Can I call you "Colonel"?

Only if you won't mind eating through a tube for a couple months.[/quoteost_uid0]

Ouch... :O[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Captain Galactic"][color=#000000ost_uid0](on Christmas, it plays Trans-Siberian Orchestra) [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I LOVE Trans-Siberian Orchestra!! I have all their CDs, including the non christmas one. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 03-16-2003, 12:55 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Q: Can I call you "Colonel"?

Only if you won't mind eating through a tube for a couple months.[/quoteost_uid0]

I came up with another appellation that she didn't kill me for.

Kira, my silence can be bought *g*

Edit: She bought it with the Hammer of Smiting.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]From the Kira FAQ:

Ouch... :O[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, but WHY?

~Nan, who likes her own Evil Lord of Admin title just find and is stuck at Lieutenant Col--er, uh... <01., anyway. *backs.. away... slowly*[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Don't they use cannons for [iost_uid0]Pops Goes the Fourth[/iost_uid0] or whatever it is the A&E channel shows every year for the Fourth of July?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Whatever they use, this one is a topper.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Whatever they use, this one is a topper.[/quoteost_uid0]

It's fairly obvious it's an Urban Legend. Who mutes during a thunderous piece like the 1812 Overture?

Well, that and it says "Urban Legend" at the top of the page.

Anyone else spot fallacies?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-16-2003, 09:03 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That was funny. Good thing it's not, y'know, true.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There's tons of other urban legends at the Darwin Awards website

There's a lot of funny stuff there! Too bad most of it probably isn't true.[/colorost_uid0]

Bears are crazy, they\'ll bite your head off if you\'re wearing steak on it.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Wonko The Sane"][color=#000000ost_uid0]There's tons of other urban legends at the Darwin Awards website

There's a lot of funny stuff there! Too bad most of it probably isn't true.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ Actually, many of the Darwin Award stories are verified. The one to which I posted a link above, however, was not.

Too bad. That would have been something to see. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-18-2003, 01:31 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Nan"][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]From the Kira FAQ:

Ouch... :O[/quoteost_uid0]
Yes, but WHY?[/quoteost_uid0]
I find it strangely funny how, despite being one of the least-active people on a primarily Star Trek based forum, I'm the one who gets to remind you of Colonel Kira from DS9. When the guy who wrote 5MCT has to remind you who the characters are, it's life re-evaluation time... jk!

Edit: It occured to me afterwards that maybe everyone [iost_uid0]did[/iost_uid0] know and they just weren't saying it because once you say something like this out loud it makes the joke obvious and ruins the hilarity. If I ruined everyone's good time, sorry. If, on the other hand, I cleared up an honest issue, please reassure me that I did the right thing, as I'm very nervous around awkward situations like these.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There is no [iost_uid0]good[/iost_uid0] reason I dislike the C-word as applied to me. I just can't stand the phrase "Colonel Kira". I tend to think of "Major Kira" as the character whose name I stole.

No, that doesn't mean you can call me "Major."[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-18-2003, 05:05 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="SimonBob"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Edit: It occured to me afterwards that maybe everyone [iost_uid0]did[/iost_uid0] know and they just weren't saying it because once you say something like this out loud it makes the joke obvious and ruins the hilarity. If I ruined everyone's good time, sorry. If, on the other hand, I cleared up an honest issue, please reassure me that I did the right thing, as I'm very nervous around awkward situations like these.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, I don't think it's either. I'm sure Nan knows about Colonel Kira; what she was wondering was why the comparison bugs [iost_uid0]our[/iost_uid0] Kira.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I just can't stand the phrase "Colonel Kira". I tend to think of "Major Kira" as the character whose name I stole.
[/quoteost_uid0]

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nana Visitor asked for the promotion 'cause she was feeling left out. Everyone else got more pips - Sisko, Dax, Bashir - but she didn't. The new haircut looked kinda silly, though.

What this has to do with anything, I'm not sure. Relevence is irrelevent.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nana Visitor asked for the promotion 'cause she was feeling left out. Everyone else got more pips - Sisko, Dax, Bashir - but she didn't.[/quoteost_uid0]
Did she have similar reasons for wanting the catsuit?

(And relevance isn't irrelevant; that's a common misconception. [iost_uid0]Logic[/iost_uid0] is irrelevant. Relevance is futile, and futility is illogical. Inanity, by contrast, is just inane.)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]And to quote Bill Shatner, "irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

(That was from [iost_uid0]Airplane II: The Sequel[/iost_uid0], by the way.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"](And relevance isn't irrelevant; that's a common misconception. [iost_uid0]Logic[/iost_uid0] is irrelevant. Relevance is futile, and futility is illogical. Inanity, by contrast, is just inane.)[/quoteost_uid0]
Your inane attempt to confuse me with irrelevant statements is futile.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]No, it's illogical. Have you learned nothing?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]::grumbles:: I need to come here more often, I totally missed the Homestar discussion and my chance in interject about jazz. Oh, and to welcome CG. D'oh.[/colorost_uid0]