The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Heroes discussion (spoilers)

I'm gonna do something I've been meaning to do since September: start some "official" discussion threads for various shows. It's a pretty interesting time to be a TV watcher (despite TV's best efforts), and there's no reason this board should be so quiet.

So, Heroes. Although I had been hearing good things about this show, I was dubious, since TV superheroes don't have a distinguished history. But Vedra finally got me to check it out a while ago, and I was blown away. No show since Enterprise has grabbed me from the first episode like this.

The finale aired last week (I got caught up just in time). Lots of questions to ponder over the break. It's apparently been confirmed by the actors in question that Peter and Sylar will both be back; the one I'm worried about is Nathan. I find him much more interesting than Peter, I don't believe for a second that he was really working with Linderman, and dangit, I don't want to lose him. He and Peter are the best TV brothers around (now that Ryan and Seth are gone, alas).

Who else watches? What did you think of the season?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

I watch. I think this show is Awesomeness incarnate. But I'm probably at least half a season behind you... hmm, the last episode to air for me was (SPOILER) the one where Claire's house gets blown up by radioactive guy. (I don't know peoples names okay!)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:25 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

Location: In the hearts and minds of my followers. And maybe Mount Olympus.

Ted Sprague is the guy that blows up Claire's house. And yes, I'm the guilty party in getting Zeke to watch Heroes. He was planning on it anyway, all I did was light a fire under his butt.
Tarn-Vedra: Yeah.
FiveMinZeke: That does explain why I'm drinking Earl Grey right now....
Tarn-Vedra: Don't forget to tug the front of your shirt, Jean.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:39 AM
You just activated his Trek card

I can't speak to the point of Heroes. I haven't been able to catch it yet, since I have a standing appointment on Monday nights, but a coworker rants about it all the time.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:21 AM

Did anyone notice that Mr Nakamura's numberplate in one episode was NCC1701?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

Actually, the weird thing about that is that I heard about that before I saw the episode, and then never noticed it.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

I think I heard about it too, then I forgot, then I started laughing like a mad woman for no apparent reason when the episode was on, and my mum just looked at me funny.

Last edited by AKAArzosah; 05-28-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:54 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

I know this has nothing to do with the plot...but the guy that plays Sylar is hot. Hot, and also evil. Evil. Evil and hot.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Hot, and also evil. Evil. Evil and hot.
Okey-dokey then...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 PM
13th Lord of Kobol

So, I heard that they're supposed to be introducing a new hero in the next season. What do you all think this person's power will be?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

OMG someone started a Heroes thread and didn't tell me!? It's my new addiction! I've been looking for a replacement show to obcess over since Enterprise went off the air. I've tried Lost but it's just not the same!

Anyway Nathan is not dead! I don't even think Peter blew up to be honest. If any of you read the comics and follow the Heroes 360 stuff on NBC's website, you'll see that Hana Gitleman (The girl that can access the internet from anywhere) blew up the other tracking system the company uses with the injected isotope, a satelight orbiting the earth. She got aboard it and ordered it to self destruct, killing herself in the process.

It'd be my opinion that that was the explosion we saw and that Peter got his powers under control at the last minute.

As for what powers new people will have, it's my opinion that Hiro's daddy Mister Sulu is imortal and is actualy that Japanese guy who owned the sword Hiro's got now. Forgetting his name atm.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

That's possible, Celeste! When we saw Kensei in the very end of the last episode, he was wearing a mask, right? It could be Mr. Nakamura.

I didn't read the comics, so I didn't know about the satellite. Did you notice that after Nathan and Peter took off, there was a very long gap before the explosion? I think they did that so they could make time for a scene to put in later, maybe of Peter getting his powers under control?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:38 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

A lot of people apparently have sharper eyes than I do. (Me, I just read the cast list.) Kensei did look like Nakamura, and there's a very good reason: it was George Takei playing him. We won't know why for a while yet; I'm dubious of the theory that they're the same guy, but there's no question that Nakamura and Hiro will at least be descended from Kensei.

Peter can definitely survive exploding -- we know this from the alt-future. The only question is how he'll get down from there. Ideally, we'll find out that Nathan let go just in time, got out of range, and then went back to catch Peter. I don't think Nathan can survive otherwise; Peter might, but he would have to summon up the energy to fly. A fall from that height will vaporize you no matter how fast you heal.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

Zeke, do you remember Nakamura saying that he had always known about Hiro's abilities? And look at his amazing sword skills. Either these are clues or misdirections.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM

Note to self: do not read this thread anymore.

I kind of want to know what you're all talking about, but then I kind of don't.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Yes, if you haven't watched all of Heroes, this probably isn't the thread to be reading.

Anyway, I liked the way the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" prophecy came true, but not in the way that future-Hiro meant it to. F-Hiro thought that saving the cheerleader would mean that Sylar wouldn't heal, which would mean that when Hiro killed him, he would die and thus not explode. Except that it was never Sylar who was going to explode. And yet, saving Claire still saved the world, since she made Nathan reevalutate his priorities and save Peter.

And I agree with Zeke. The brothers are awesome. Peter has always been a focal point of the show, but his relationship with Nathan is one that I find very interesting. It's a great relationship.

I'm looking forward to the DVDs of Season 1 and the start of Season 2.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm interested in knowing how far behind everyone else Australia is, so... The last episode of Heroes JUST finished, it was called 'Parasite' and the last bit was Sylar beginning to cut into Peter's head.

The episodes are getting better and better now. They got kind of 'Lost'-y for a little while (ie nothing much happened, but if you didn't watch you wouldn't know what was going on). Also, YAY Hiro finally has his powers back!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I fell in the pit
You fell in the pit
We all fell in the piiiiit

HEH germany is much more behind...here it hasnt even started
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Technicaly, if you have good enough internet, nbc.com is streaming all the episodes online right now along with lots of extra special feature stuff. You can catch up that way if you just gotta have to watch it right now now now.

Anyway if it wasn't the satelight that we saw exploding, then Peter must have definatly let go of Nathan, exploded, then caught him.

Can anyone figure out what the heck Charles Deveuxs(sp?) power is? He could see the invisible peter who somehow ended up in the past, or resaw his past or something. Thinking about the conversation he had with Peter and Nathan's mom, where they're talking about wether Peter and Nathan have learned about their powers yet, I'd guess that he may have the ability to know what powers a person has.

And as for Mrs Petrelli herself? Teleporter, based on the line to Claire "I'll take you [to Paris] myself." Plus it's got to have something to do with the Shoplifting she did in the very first episode. No character does anything that doesn't mean anything. And shoplifting definatly has to do with something. I just can't figure out what yet.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!

Last edited by Celeste; 05-30-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:58 AM
13th Lord of Kobol

The tricky part with shows like this, where nearly everything is significant in some way, is that it's hard to tell when something is important and when something isn't. That's probably intentional, though. Keeps people guessing.