The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Feature: Five-Minute "Eleven Is Prime"

For all its virtues, Wowbagger's "Eleven is Prime" is definitely long. No surprise, really -- the man is infinitely prolonged. If only there were a site out there that condensed Trek-related things for the reader on the go!

...Hmm?

Oh, right, that's me. Then I guess it's time for Five-Minute "Eleven Is Prime"! It concentrates on the points of difference between XIP (as I call it) and canon, and you don't have to read Wowbagger's whole dissertation to enjoy it. (Of course, if you find bits in the fiver that intrigue or puzzle you and want to understand them, welllll...)

That's my little tribute to Wowbagger's magnum opus. A few other followups:

• We have a comment thread going, in which I posted the commentary I promised last update. All are welcome to participate. (By the way, if you've tried to register at the forum recently and found it impossible, that was a temporary thing. You should be able now, and if not, email me.)

• There's also an XIP discussion going on at The Daystrom Institute, Reddit's "scholarly" Star Trek board, a very interesting place to visit. By the way, if you weren't aware of this, Reddit's boards are called "subreddits". I'm still waiting for my royalty check.

• After Wowbagger watched Star Trek: Into Darkness (I haven't decided yet if I'm willing to write it without the colon), the first thing he did was assure me that Twelve Is Prime. As a mathematician, I knew that already (base 5), but let that be the answer to anyone saying the new movie has fatally damaged this thought experiment. He's not claiming there aren't contradictions, of course; he's saying XIP's methods are equally applicable to them. Quite frankly, I hope the next movie makes his job harder. I'd love to see an XIIIP that had to justify stuff like Species 8472 showing up and Chekov getting a sex change.

By the way, we have a Trek quote game going on. What does that have to do with anything? Eh, we need more players, and if we let Wowbagger in he'll just prove that every quote was really said by Morn between episodes.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Long fellow

Needless to say, this is amazing. From now on, whenever I get asked for a TLDR, my problems are solved.

Quote:
Picard: You know, there's a book that might give you some ideas...
Spock: That book is ridiculous. Who ever heard of combined Romulan/Borg technology?
I laughed once, because Shatner.

THEN, I laughed again, because Countdown!

Quote:
Fun fact: "Spock wept" is the shortest line in the King James Version of Star Trek.
Man, I hoped someone would do something with this.

Immediately after the end of this fiver, Morn shouted, "GIT DOWN!"
Old 10-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Also good stuff!

Quote:
Nelvana: (BOOOM)

Spock: Oh no! Why would the red matter horn in on other stars?
It's a Cardcaptor Sakura fan?

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Heh, very clever. Explanation for the perplexed: the Nelvana system (from "The Defector") was named after a Canadian animation studio. The TNG Companion calls this a "rare verbal homage to anime", but it's actually a rare slipup on the book's part -- Nelvana hadn't done any anime dubbing at that point. About ten years later they did try their hand, and the results were... unfortunate. Nelvana's bread and butter is kids' cartoon shows, so they basically beat their anime licenses into that shape. The most notorious example is Cardcaptor Sakura, which Nelvana made into a mishmash called Cardcaptors. (That said, the Japanese original has its own problems as a kids' series.)

Me, I was just making a joke on "matterhorn".

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Tags
5mxip, eleven is prime, hint hint hint