The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Star Trek: The Temporal Police Work Overtime to Arrest Picard for *#%$ing Up The Timeline

heh...heh...heh...no

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:29 AM
Outside looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
1.) [wacky theory] Perhaps Trek fans got turned off due to lack of P/C, so they all decided to boycott Enterprise [/wacky theory]
2.) Perhaps bring in Chris Carter.
1. And J/C.

2. No, he's a king of bad endings, remember? Eeerrrgghh. *holds head in hands remembering the X-Files finale*
Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Well, they could have Chris Carter and Joss Whedon for seasons 1-6, and then get, um...the guys who did DS9 for the last season.

*sigh*
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 02-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

I think an ST set in the TMP time would be quite fun :wink:
Or ST And the Lost Temple Of Silik :wink:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Outside looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
Well, they could have Chris Carter and Joss Whedon for seasons 1-6, and then get, um...the guys who did DS9 for the last season.

*sigh*
Okay, that would work.

Valium - You mean you WANT to stare at the screen in amazement of trippy special effects 10 thousand more times!?

:lol:
Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

No, I just like the TMP mini-series of films that's all :wink:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Time Travel? Oh no.

I think we had enough of that with the last two series, thank you very much. (Serieses? Series'?)

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

They could do a series that focuses on Starfleet Academy. Maybe a look back on when the characters you know were back in the Academy days.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:58 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

That's one of the most persistent rumours in the Trek community -- ever since early TAS development, people have been throwing the idea around. Personally, I don't think it's ever been a good idea, but especially not now. Most "teen shows" are just so bad these days... that genre and Trek would go together like oil and antimatter. It wouldn't be impossible to do well, but the outlook would not be rosy.

Admittedly, I don't know what the best idea for a new Trek show would be. Let's hope it doesn't come to that for a couple of seasons yet.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

My personal idea for the next Trek?

Diplomacy Mini-Series.

Set Post-NEM, the Alpha Quadrant is in shambles, and political games are being played all over the place. Watch as alliances are formed and broken. A strong secondary component would be espionage (I don't much like Section 31, but I could tolerate it as a sideplot, not the main focus).

Heck, you could have multiple miniseries set at various important points of Federation history. I don't think the idea can be stretched out to a "normal" series, but something like BSG's 13 episodes / season should be feasible.

The Why: Because we have seen diplomacy play a big part in Trek, but it's never really been the main focus of a show. Because the espionage/intelligence components could satisfy the action crowd; I personally love seeing special operations personnel on secret missions, but I think it's too tedious to carry a series on it's own. Because it's character-driven, giving us the opportunity to develop diplomats, attachés and, yes, the Starfleet officers who carry out their directives. Because it's cost-effective and can be done with a minimum of FX.

Because it's different.

Well, that's my 2 euro-cents, anyway.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

What about Red Dwarf: Story of a Redshirt ?

Galliant young Crewman Winstonsmithington sees and hears all that goes on the Enterprise's G,H, and L. (as I-K are destroyed in drydock by Wesley Crusher) In his hardworking job as Third Holodeck Security Guard monitor, graveyard shift, he witnesses much...and manages to save many from romantic, scientific, and electronic disasters, all while suffering from a problem of great shame-having a full, luxurious head of hair.

But seriously...maybe a show from a slightly different perspective? Something with some new zing, while keeping the old spirit. Like what TNG and DS9 did.
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatac
My personal idea for the next Trek?

Diplomacy Mini-Series.
Something featuring the Grand Alliance, perhaps?
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Well... I think a futuristic series would be better. Each series before Enterprise came after each other, and this one would come after the latest movie. (And you can't re-write history if you're in the future!)

The specifics... beats me... just as long as it's done well, and the writing is good, it should succeed.

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I gotta cast my vote for a Starfleet Academy series or movie. They would've done it way back instead of Star Trek VI if the 25th anniversary hadn't cropped up. Set it post-Voyager so you could have all of our favorite TNG, DS9, and VOY folks show up from time to time. Maybe have O'Brien as a regular again. Maybe have Picard as Commandant. He'd probably only agree to occasional guest spots, but he could be offscreen working though a nervous Ensign or something. Back when Wesley and Locarno were at the Academy they proved that there was a lot of intrigue and stuff going on. Have a Command track, a Medical, a Science, and an Engineering cadet living in the same dorm. They see things in different ways. They react to training situations differently. You'd have the Starfleet brat who's a decendent of someone from TOS, a Vulcan woman (I'd like to see more of the female Vulcan viewpoint, not like T'Pol, a REAL Vulcan), the alien engineering whizkid (not like Wesley or Barclay, but an engineering version of Neelix), and the human woman who comes from one of the outer worlds. She counterpoints the lead, makes him think beyond his lifetime of Starfleet "brainwashing," makes him look at life from the perspective of "the outsider." With O'Brien as their engineering professor and a few other professors for command, science, etc we could have a cross between "Saved by the Bell in Space" and classic Trek. It'd be great!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I'm still not an Academy-series fan. I'm not sure what I do want to see in a Trek series, though... maybe things will be clearer in a couple of years. I'm still hurting for ENT -- I'm in no hurry to try and embrace a whole new Trek.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

^ Agreed, Zeke. An Academy series holds no appeal for me. I hear people keep suggesting them, and I've never liked the idea.

And I too am still missing ENT as well, so much so that my first idea for the next series would be another ship set at the same times as ENT. (The NX-02 or 03 maybe.)
Old 09-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Last of the ko fighters

I'm not sure about the academy idea. But one thing's certain. Whichever new Startrek series comes, I'll watch it and enjoy it.

I don't think there are many new things to do in ENT time. I think I'd prefer a post-Nemesis series. Janeway's an admiral. Picard's a diplomat. B4 will be there, of course, having developed a bit further. (Incidentally, what's the last thing that happened to Lore? He could participate.) And I liked DS9 a lot because of the big big big storylines. There should be something like that. I like the big-scale things. Wars, alliances, etc. More Qish stuff would also be nice.

Anyway, I'm not sure how big a break ST will take, but it's tried and true. They'll figure something out.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 PM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

I'm thinking a 'more realistic' ship based series... one where your main away party into a hostile, combat situation does not consist entirely of bridge crew, for instance...*-)

Seriously, an academy series is likely to have the same sort of tone as DS9 before the dominion war (you know, lots of politics, little exploration). The major difference is the extra number of teenaged and child characters...

My preference for a new series would be that tri-pronged ship that you saw in one Voyager episode (one of the doc's 'back in the alpha-quadrant' eps) - it looks cool, okay? - sent to explore the gamma quadrant. Give it a cloaking device under the same terms as the Defiant had one, and make the Romulan liason officer an important character (its time the Romulans had one that wasn't Sela). We've seen plenty of Klingons (between Worf and Torres, we've seen more about Klingons then any other species apart from humans), now its time to flesh out another one. Its setting would also allow a Bajoran or Cardassian onto the crew (one of both, just to give us some season one fireworks?), as they are both relatively well fleshed-out species that we could still do to learn more about (and from more points of view then the 4 that DS9 offered us regularly).

I agree with Infinite Improbability - a female Vulcan that isn't as emotional as T'Pol turned out to be would be nice - if only for the fireworks with the Romulan.

So, we'd have a cool new three-part ship, Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans and Vulcans on the crew as main characters, and a whole new quadrant to explore despite still having access to federation bases...

(mental note: ramble less in future, or at least make some kind of point)

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Point? Oh, right, I keep forgetting you're new here.

Ah, Topic Title, how we miss thee....

EDIT: Also, interesting idea (figured I should probably actually, y'know, address your post in some manner too).
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel
I think I'd prefer a post-Nemesis series. Janeway's an admiral. Picard's a diplomat. B4 will be there, of course, having developed a bit further.
I must be half-asleep and/or watching too much sf/f because I read this and started thinking about Babylon 4. ("Huh? Why would post-Nemesis involve Babylon 4? Is this guy trying to merge the two universes and put Trek in the far past of B5?")

And before I could wake myself up sufficiently to resolve that problem, I then read:
Quote:
(Incidentally, what's the last thing that happened to Lore? He could participate.)
...and thought, "Well, he's probably a lounge singer somewhere." Then I realized it said Lore not Lorne.