The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 07-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Some spoilers, natch, but nothing enormous (watch the replies though)
The first movie was pretty damn good (though dated now). It didn't have a terribly huge budget, but this was made up for in well developed suspense and one of the best movie villains of all time.

The second movie was a sequel. Bigger budget, bigger trucks, bigger plot, bigger sunglasses. Just a huge movie, and a hell of a ride. This movie really showed great insight into the nature of human beings too.

The third movie.... I'm not sure yet. On one hand, the action was incredible. Like the Matrix car scene? This has it beat, no question about it. The cast is very competant, and the ending... it has a damn good ending. But lacking from the other movies was the human element. It was purely an action and concepts movie, where the others had character to boot. I liked it, but I liked the others better.

...and I can't be the only one here who's seen it/likes the Terminator series. Thoughts?[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:22 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Haven't seen it yet (nor am I likely to for a while knowing my record), but I do like the first two quite a bit, especially the second. Arnie goes a bit Data-ish and discovers his humanity, and Robert Patrick is more than superb as the T2000. Incidently, did anyone see that episode of the [iost_uid0]X-Files[/iost_uid0] shortly after he joined where they were after this guy that was being slowly turned into metal? He makes this very tongue-in-cheek comment about a 'metal man'. Had me in stitches.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-12-2003, 04:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I thought it was the T1000 in the second movie. Oh well... :smile:

I haven't seen the third one, as it isn't out in the UK yet. Not that I'll see it even when it does come out, as I don't like cinemas. I'll just wait until it comes on good 'ol terrestrial TV.

Oh, and I guess I must be the only one who thought at first this thread was going to be about Windows Dial-Up Networking. :dead:[/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:08 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]....as I don't like cinemas.[/quoteost_uid0]

*Looks aghast*

Buses is one thing, but cinemas? What kind of strange mutant are you?[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-16-2003, 01:31 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What kind of freaky, messed up alternate universe did YOU fall out of, entei? [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-16-2003, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That one over there. *points to some strange black portally-type-thing*. Aww.... no! It's come back to get me...

*cough*

er... what I meant to say was..er... I didn't come from any alternative universe. The existance of such universes is just a myth. :smile:

(*whispering over radio* Do you think they bought that Zuke?)[/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wow - wb entei

As for the film - I won't give away too many spoilers, but...

I grew up with Terminator 2 - I wanted to be the Terminator in grade school - I didn't have leather, but I'd dress up all in denim and sunglasses and go around the playground saying "Hasta la vista, Baby."

So you can imagine my anticipation for this film. But as I saw there'd be no James Cameron writing or directing, I started to get dissapointed.

The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still dissapointing in a way.

With the over reaching cheesiness of some of the film (I hope kids don't start doing Arnold impressions now by saying "Talk to the hand"), the movie was like watch the film version of a Terminator fan-fic someone pulled offline. It might have been actually, only because there was no really overarching plot arc, just a few twists to keep things interesting.

I loved seeing the character of John Conor again - he didn't really make the same leap that Sarah made from movies 1 to 2 - but I don't know if he was really given much to work with.

The ending I thought was spectacular, despite the continuaty problems. But, again, the movie seemed very off, especially in someone else's hands, so it gave it that fan fic aftertaste. Still worth seeing though [/colorost_uid0]