The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Fiver By Committee
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sounds like the general consensus is to stick with the M&M bit then. Does anyone besides Sa'ar Chasm feel strongly about Derek's twist on the robot scene?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Sounds like the general consensus is to stick with the M&M bit then. Does anyone besides Sa'ar Chasm feel strongly about Derek's twist on the robot scene?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's good, but I think I like Sax's better.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 04-08-2003, 11:03 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I have to say I prefer Sax's version too.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 04-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I do like the DayQuil joke as well - but the M&M's would probably be more universal (since we [iost_uid0]do[/iost_uid0] have an international audience )

As to the robot scene, you could make a commentary with anyone the number of symbols and allusions, and we can talk about rebirth later Like, I wanna get something in about the [iost_uid0]Allegory of the Cave[/iost_uid0] - so, we'll see.

I'm in agreement with Kira - so I put something it together, again - just so we could take a look at it to see if it flows well:

[bost_uid0]Trinity:[/bost_uid0] We're here. Now, be honest -- he knows more than you can possibly imagine.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Huh. I seem to get that a lot.
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Hello, Neo. I know you have a question that is eating away at you, and now you can ask that question.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Sweet! Then you can tell me where I can get shades like that?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I'm going to pretend I heard "What is the Matrix?"

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] It's quite simple. If you eat a blue M&M, you'll wake up tomorrow with the mother of all hangovers. Or, you can eat a green M&M and --
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] What about that red M&M?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Nononono! Not the red one! Don't ever eat the red one.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Why not?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] The red ones are my favourite.

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Ooooh....cool....the mirror's gone all funky....
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Ah, the pill is starting to have its effect.
[bost_uid0]Trinity:[/bost_uid0] Actually, he's like this all the time.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Mmmm....shiny....

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] AAAAAAAAA! Oh wait, it's a dream....
[bost_uid0]Robot:[/bost_uid0] It is? Then you won't mind if I pinch you. And by "pinch," I mean "flush."
(WHOOSH)
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Ah, Alice. Glad you could join us.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-09-2003, 05:31 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Here is a mixture that I like. I am abandoning the Dayquil and going with the M&M's.

Trinity: We're here. Now, be honest -- he knows more than you can possibly imagine.
Neo: Huh. I seem to get that a lot.
Morpheus: Hello, Neo. I know you have a question... what is the matrix?
Neo: Is it a giant virtual construct that only exists in the minds of the people hooked up to it?
Morpheus: Take all the fun out of it, why don't you.

Morpheus: Want some candy?
Neo: You got M&M's?
Morpheus: Only 2 left.
Neo: Darn
Morpheus: Let me tell you something about them. The Blue M&M is less filling and you will wake up in the morning with a nasty hangover. The Red M&M will fill you up, and you will flushed by robots and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes?
Neo: Hmmm, tough choice.
Morpheus: Wanna learn Kung Fo? Eat the red one
Neo: Whoa! Red it is then.

Neo: AAAAAAAAA! Oh wait, it's a dream....
Robot: It is? Then you won't mind if I pinch you. And by "pinch," I mean "flush."
(WHOOSH)
Morpheus: Ah, Alice. Glad you could join us.
Neo: So when do I learn Kung Fu?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I agree with Sa'ar - Derek's robot scene is much better. May be improved with a couple of tiny changes of phrase:

[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] Hey! I can see his head! It's a boy!
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Gee, thanks. As if the birth symbolism wasn't obvious enough.
[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] I think you mean rebirth.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] No, rebirth is when you're dunked in water.
[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] That can be arranged.
(WHOOSH!)
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Hey look, everyone! It's a boy!
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Sigh.

I don't like the following as much, but I like it better than some of the other suggestions so far:

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Hey! You promised M&Ms and rabbit holes, not goo and Borg implants! Get these tubes out of my body!
[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] Sure thing, Neo!
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Good! Now get me something to wash this pink gunk off!
[i:post_uid0](FLUSH)[/i:post_uid0]

Also, the two threads on Morpheus and the Question might be possible to combine into one:

[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] We're here. Now, be honest -- he knows more than you can possibly imagine.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Huh. I seem to get that a lot.
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Hello, Neo. I know you have a question, a question that is eating away at you, and here... here, you can find the answer to that question.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Sweet! Then you can tell me where I can get shades like that?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] I'm going to pretend I heard, "What is the Matrix?"
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oh. Is it a giant virtual construct that only exists in the minds of the people hooked up to it?
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Take all the fun out of it, why don't you.

As for the DayQuil, I must confess - as part of aforementioned "international audience," I ain't got a clue what it is. I can get the joke from the context, but I say drop the Quils. The M&M joke is great.

Am looking forward to a block where I get in before the whole scene is written. :)[/color:post_uid0]

--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 04-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Standback"][b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Hey! You promised M&Ms and rabbit holes, not goo and Borg implants! Get these tubes out of my body!
[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] Sure thing, Neo!
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Good! Now get me something to wash this pink gunk off!
[i:post_uid0](FLUSH)[/i:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
You know, I remember thinking about a Borg joke for this scene earlier, but we were on Block 4 or so at the time. But I think if there's going to be a good Borg joke it has to be here. Um, how about:

[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] I am Neo of Borg. Resistance is futile.
[b:post_uid0]Robot:[/b:post_uid0] Oh, like that's the first time I've heard [i:post_uid0]that[/i:post_uid0]. Hold still while I unplug you.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] I will be dissimilated.
(FLUSH!)

You could also work in some reference to BoBW or Unimatrix Zero, the latter probably being better because a dream world built by drones has just a number of similarities to [i:post_uid0]The Matrix[/i:post_uid0]. (Maybe you could talk about Neo being cut off from the "hive mind" or something, I don't know.)

Edit: ARGH! Why does !) always become a smiley?[/color:post_uid0]

Old 04-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oo, I like that one. As for combining the two question scenes, I think it's a good idea in principle but Morpheus' "I'm going to pretend I heard 'What is the matrix?'" works best as the last line of the scene.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Agreed. But better in the middle than not at all, neh?

Or we could split it up, as follows:

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Hello, Neo. I know you have a question, a question that is eating away at you, and here... here, you can find the answer to that question.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Sweet! Then you can tell me where I can get shades like that?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I'm going to pretend I heard, "What is the Matrix?"

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] The Matrix is all around us, Neo. It is in the food you eat and in the air you breathe. It is in the crud that gradually collects underneath your sofa, it is in those weird little forks you're supposed to use for olives or whatever, it is even in those vegetarian "meatlike" substances made of soy.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] What about the ones made of tofu?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] We're not certain yet. Inquiries are proceeding.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Oh, I get it. The Matrix is just a giant virtual construct that only exists in the minds of the people hooked up to it, right?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Take all the fun out of it, why don't you.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think trying to keep both of those jokes makes the block too long. Speaking of which, this is taking a ridiculously long time, so here's yet another version of the sort-of-consensus so far. Can we all agree on this, by any chance?

[bost_uid0]Trinity:[/bost_uid0] We're here. Now, be honest -- he knows more than you can possibly imagine.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Huh. I seem to get that a lot.
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Hello, Neo. I know you have a question that is eating away at you, and now you can ask that question.
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] I'm going to pretend I heard "What is the Matrix?"

[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] It's quite simple. If you eat a blue M&M, you'll wake up tomorrow with the mother of all hangovers. Or, you can eat a green M&M and --
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] What about that red M&M?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Nononono! Not the red one! Don't ever eat the red one.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Why not?
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] The red ones are my favourite.

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Ooooh... cool... the mirror's gone all funky....
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Ah, the pill is starting to have its effect.
[bost_uid0]Trinity:[/bost_uid0] Actually, he's like this all the time.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] Mmmm... shiny....

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] I am Neo of Borg. Resistance is futile.
[bost_uid0]Robot:[/bost_uid0] Oh, like that's the first time I've heard that. Hold still while I unplug you.
[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] I will be dissimilated.
([iost_uid0]FLUSH![/iost_uid0])
[bost_uid0]Morpheus:[/bost_uid0] Ah, Alice. Glad you could join is.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I really like Standback's latest scene as well, but I'll vote for Kira's latest version, with the provision that she change that last "is" to the more appropriate "us".[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 04-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I agree with NAH...and Kira. Let's get on to the next block already.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*shrugs, smiles, carries on*

Is looking good. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just when you thought it was all over...

lol - yes, a vote for Kira's [/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kira has my vote. The Borg joke is a great addition.

(The following is just a little something I made up. You do not have to consider adapting it to the fiver.)

(Neo Wakes Up)
Neo: What am I doing in a Borg Cube?
Borg Robot: Prepare to be Re-assimulated
Neo: No
Borg Robot: Resistance is Flushing
Neo: I thought is was futile
Borg Robot: Quiet Trekkie (Flushes Neo)
Neo: Wow, a borg cube with a water slide (Splash)
Morpheus: We were borg. Resistance was Futile.
Neo: Am I in Star Trek Hell?
Morpheus: Far From it[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-10-2003, 11:26 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I prefered the 'virtual construct' bit to the 'sunglasses' bit, but if everyone is going with Kira's version I guess I might as well do so to.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 04-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Agreed. Let's go on to Block 9.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-11-2003, 04:07 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Right, then -- thread closed.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Closed Thread