Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 6 23.08%
Star Trek: Enterprise 4 15.38%
All of the Above 1 3.85%
None of the Above 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]YAY! Another DS9 fan!

My list is...(now that I'm legally a grown-up)
1. DS9
2. Next Gen
3. Enterprise/OS
5. Voyager

But in the 90's when I was kid/teenager it was...
1. Voyager pretty much tied with
1.5. Next Gen
3. DS9
4. OS

Wow, I get analytical at night...[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 03-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My order would be:

1. DS9
2. Next Gen/Original
4. Voyager
5. Enterprise

I personally think they really dropped the ball with Voyager, that show could have been so much more than it was IMO and Enterprise isn't done yet, but so far it rates last. Original Trek and Next Gen are too close to call for me, both I enjoyed a lot, but DS9 surpasses them all in my book anyway I have never been sadder to have a series end and happier to be able to buy the episodes on DVD.

I have to agree that Next Gen doesn't elicit nearly as strong of emotions that any of the other series do. Most people think it was good, but not the best, kinda weird how that works.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2004, 04:48 AM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]>> Next Gen seems to be everyone's second favorite Star Trek. <<

In my case (and not surprisingly to anyone, I'm sure), NextGen is my first-place favourite. It improves on the Original Series in many ways while preserving much of the original spirit of TOS. It also benefited from coming along relatively early in Trek's now very long (nearly 40-year) history, so it had the twin advantages of being young enough to be fresh while being old enough to be mature. It also didn't have nearly as much competition from other TV sci-fi shows, since there were few of those at the time compared to today and the recent past.

The post-NextGen shows are enjoyable (I've watched every single episode of them), and in some cases are more daring (DS9 was famous for pushing the envelope), but in some cases came across as repetitive and stilted. We've also seen some serious continuity problems -- for instance with Voyager running into aliens it supposedly left behind several seasons ago (such as the Talaxian colony we saw at the very end), or with, well, a lot of Enterprise. And while I'm hardly a fan of Robert Beltran, he *does* make a valid point when he complains that Voyager was overly fond of showing formulaic battle sequences in which the action consisted of Chakotay counting down what percentage of the shields was left.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hm, this is tough.

I grew up with Next Generation. I connect most to the characters, and there's the staples of episodes that just plain rule. (The Inner Light or The Defector, for example...and I loved Disaster, too.) But in comparison, it's a bit stiff. Plus, I've watched it to death, and when a rerun comes on, it's always 50/50 on whether I can watch it. The later seasons are usually better, because as much as I dislike saying it, too much Roddenberry really spoils a series.

DS9 was always my unloved middle child of Trek. It arrived in a period of my life when I was not too interested in TV in general, and the few episodes I caught never seemed to be that interesting. Now that I'm watching the reruns more, it seems like a damn good series, combining deep plots and good action. (I mean, the retaking of DS9 - dizzamn...) The one thing that irks me about the series a bit is Avery Brooks. He gives Sisko this slightly psychopathic edge that I'm not entirely comfortable with, though I do admit I love it when he does his creepy little smile. Noteably, DS9 is also the only series of which I own a video (the Past Tense two-parter). Why, I'm not entirely sure.

Voyager. Ah, now we're cooking with gas. Objectively, it's got a whole load of stinkers in it's line-up, but I've always loved it to death. Why? Because it has a sense of adventure, a "we against everybody else" feel that jibes with me. It's also got the most colorful crew, and one of the best characters ever (the Doctor). Also, I always felt that it's the series that can poke fun at itself the most - you can't tell me anybody on the set of Macrocosm read the script and thought "Gee, what insightful and deep science-fiction we have here." Also, it's got the largest amount of kick-butt CGI. I don't care what you thought about Endgame, but the first time Voyager activated that ablative armor, my jaw dropped.

Enterprise is here almost entirely on the merits of it's 3rd season. It couldn't stand there without the first two seasons, but they were - well, just not interesting, most of the time. Now, however, we get heart-stoppers like Twilight, and emotional sucker-punches like Similitude and Azati Prime. (Don't tell me you didn't feel anything when the Enterprise gets pounded to near-scrap - that's TV that hurts, folks.) Besides, did any Trek series have a great first season?

TOS is, I fear, right out of the competition. While the dynamic between the big three is always nice to watch, it's too episodic for my taste, and showing it's age. Watching it, I'm almost always catching myself thinking about how far Trek (and TV in general) has come all those years.

My favourites, in order, are therefore:

Voyager (Queen of my heart, so to speak)
Enterprise (clawing it's way upwards)
DS9 (Dominion War? Yes, please!)
TNG (though I love the TNG movies)
TOS (Sorry, folks.)

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 03-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm going to echo Marc's predictability (but not his choice), and say that my favorite is the original series.

Why? I don't think I can answer that terribly succinctly, or without saying anything about it that the other shows do not contain.

My first instinct was to say the characters. Certainly known for having the most famous Trek characters, the original series also had some of the most interesting. The big three dynamic really hasn't been surpassed by any other series. [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] here is the real culprit in my eyes; the other Trek's tried to mix up its major major character interactions, but the newest series has merely attempted to mimic to the letter Spock, McCoy, and Kirk's dynamic. However, modern Trek has certainly given some interesting characters in its own right. I guess why I like the originals the best is their fluid interaction, not the characters alone.

I do think the acting on the original was top notch too. Over the top? Certainly. But it felt more like watching a performance on stage than anything else. You could really tell the cast was having a lot of fun with their roles.

Perhaps the most important thing about the original was the fact that it [iost_uid0]focused[/iost_uid0] on the characters. Modern Trek is at its best when it keeps plot to a minimum and character on max. I don't watch Trek for the science; it makes a cool backdrop, but characters have [iost_uid0]ALWAYS[/iost_uid0] interested me more than plot. This is where I feel The Next Generation had its major fault. It simply had the blandest characters of all the series. It was a good show in its own right, but I think the modern Trek formula was nailed a bit better with Deep Space Nine and, occaisionally, Voyager.

Also, the first show was the only show to be great from the very start. A feat which is still impressive when you look at how long each modern show has taken to get its feel. Hell, I'm impressed.

As a side note, I find it somewhat interesting that Voyager is doing so much better than the other shows. Yeah, I know, that's what this site was originally all about, and still is in name (though when was the last Voyager fiver? eh?). Still, I know Voyager gets a really bad rap from a lot of people. If you ran this poll at TrekBBS, you know right off the bat that Voyager would not be first. Probably not second either. Very interesting....[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!