The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 01-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium
Default Anyone else getting pop-ups?

Hi...just wondering if anyone else was getting pop-ups on this site? I'm wondering if it is an adware program or a new thing on 5MV. All the pop-ups are along the lines of, "Is your computer at risk" or "Is computer protected".

Anyone else getting these on 5MV and 5MV Forums? Or is it most likely adware?
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Not getting anything. Check your own rig for spyware.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Lone Ranger

Location: Where it's cold in winter and hot in summer, yet not warm in spring.

No pop-ups for me!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

Nope
Old 01-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Cursory

Send a message via MSN to Draknek

Almost certainly spyware on your computer.

So, yes, your computer probably is at risk.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc
Default Re: Anyone else getting pop-ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
Hi...just wondering if anyone else was getting pop-ups on this site? I'm wondering if it is an adware program or a new thing on 5MV. All the pop-ups are along the lines of, "Is your computer at risk" or "Is computer protected".

Anyone else getting these on 5MV and 5MV Forums? Or is it most likely adware?
No, there are definitely no pop-ups on 5MV.

Those kind of pop-ups are screaming adware. (and spyware, and possibly malware too!)

I have quite a bit of experience with removing spyware on computers, having fixed >35 computers on a variety of OSes.

Here's my reccomendations:

STEP 1: SPYWARE REMOVAL

There are two highly rated (and entirely free!) spyware removal programs I have found to be very useful, I reccomend downloading them, updating the definitions and scanning for spyware:

Ad-Aware SE Personal

1. Download it, and install it.
2. Run it, and run the updating component to obtain the newest definitions.
3. Scan you computer for spyware.
4. If (or when) it comes up and you have spyware, right-click on a check-box and hit "select all"
5. Then hit next, to delete all the spyware
6. If it says "some problems cannot be fixed, may Ad-Aware run on restart?" click yes, and read SERIOUS TROUBLE section.

Spybot Search & Destroy

2. Run it, and run the updating component to obtain the newest definitions.
3. Scan you computer for spyware.
4. If it detects anything, make sure all boxes are checked, and hit "fix selected problems"
5. If it says "some problems couldn' be fixed, may Spybot run on restart?" click yes, and read SERIOUS TROUBLE section.
6. Immunize your system, to prevent spyware from ever being installed by clicking on the immunize icon. And also, activate the bad download blocker if it isn't already on. (You can immunize before you scan, but it must be done after you update.)

Step 1.5: Re-scan

You should restart and scan again with both Ad-Aware and Spybot, even if they didn't tell you you needed to. This is because oftentimes spyware will install hooks into your system that will re-install the spyware, and they can't be detected until they activate (by restarting).

STEP 2: IMMUNIZE YOUR SYSTEM
(Note: Actually, the step 6 of the last STEP was immunizing too)

These programs won't remove the spyware from your computer, but protect your computer against any spyware being installed in the first place!

SpywareBlaster

2. Run it, then click on "Enable All Protection" to protect your computer.
3. Update the definitions by clicking on "Download Latest Protection Updates"
4. Enable all protection for the unprotected items now too.

SpywareGuard
Notice: SpywareGuard may interfere with antivirus software, but this is unlikely.

2. Run the "LiveUpdate" utility.
3. This is all you need to do, but you can right-click on the icon to customize it if you want.

STEP 3: KEEPING YOUR SYSTEM SECURE, AND ADDTIONAL INFORMATION

Update Your Software, and Scan Every So Often

Be sure to run the update function on all four programs to obtain the newest updates, and scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot both a least once a month. The protection by SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard is automatic.

Windows Update

If you are using the Windows operating system, you should alwyas check for updates at Windows Update. You should do this at least once a month. EVERYONE running ANY version of windows should do this, spyware or not. Additionally, if you are running XP, you should turn on Automatic Updates to keep your computer protected without having to go to Windows Update every month.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

If you're running Windows XP, this is a great update to have - it secures your computer, adds a free pop-up blocker to IE, and comes with a free firewall! You get this through Windows Update, described above.

Spybot Search & Destroy Advanced Mode

Spybot also has an advanced mode with lots of other great tools, and some extra protection too, but I wouldn't reccomend turning it on, unless you're relatively comfortable with the workings of your computer, but it's not that complex. You turn it on in the "Mode" menu.

Firefox

With the protection provided by Spybot (both the bad download blocker and immunization) and by Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard, IE is relatively secure. (And if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, IE is quite secure, and you really don't have to worry.)

However, Firefox is largely considered still more secure. You can download and use it if you want, this is by no means neccessary, but might be helpful.

Note: You will have to re-run SpywareBlaster to install its protection for Firefox after you install it. You can protect Firefox by clicking on the "Enable All Protection".

Google Toolbar

In addition to providing one-click access to google's searching, it also comes with a free pop-up blocker! (if you have XP SP2, you don't need it as SP2 comes with a pop-up blocker, unless, of course, you just want the toolbar for the google search. )

SERIOUS TROUBLE (Hopefully, no one will have to do any of this)

If either Spybot or Ad-Aware said they need to restart to fix problems, you likely have some serious problems.

First, try restarting (you may have to more than once) and they'll run on startup. Also, try re-rerunning them a few more times.

If this still doesn't work, boot your computer in Safe Mode and run them both.

If you still have spyware, even after all this, you'll have to contact me for more information.

Spyware Trivia

Spyware: Software that spies on your activity, steals your credit cards, passwords, and opens you up to most identity theft.
Adware: Software that gives you pop-up ads and other types of ads that aren't normally seen. Can also give you spam along with spyware.
Malware: Actually damages your computer's performance, and can slow down your computer.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add it!

Also, even if you don't notice it, you might have spyware and should follow these steps as much and as soon as possible. Often by the time you notice it, you've got a lot.

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to richardson

yes, spybot will kick the *Censored, CENSORED, CENSORED* out of spyware. It works, and I'll swear by it. In fact, I just did. :roll:

Evil Emperor of the Black Isles.......

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllianceCommand/
The site of strange things.

I reject your reality and subsititute my own!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

I've finished the spyware removal / protection instructions.

I seriously reccomend reading and following the instructions even if you don't think you have spyware, you actually could, the protection offerred by these programs and information is much better to have than to not have, and a lot of those programs are useful in other ways.

Hope that helps, and if anyone has any questions, really seriously infected computers, or just wants to say thanks, feel free to contact me, email, or post here!

Xeroc Central

Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

The day I inflict popups -- or any kind of advertising -- on you readers is the day I take up Braga-bashing. 5MV started out at Angelfire, so believe me, I know how annoying popups are. (Especially with the popup code magically appearing in every HTML file, making you scroll down like crazy every time you want to edit one...)

So yeah, Opium, the problem's local. I've seen these particular popups before, and they come from spyware. Are you using IE? That's the only browser I've seen them in; Opera is my anti-drug.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Thanks for the response!
Oh well, I guess I have to all the things suggested, and then dance around throwing AOL CD's into a fire to appease the Shaw Cable CEO's.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Calvinist

D'OH. So I'm going to run the spyware thingy...but of course, then I remember that my DVD-ROM player isn't working. I can only play CD's and cd-rom programs! ARG! What to do? What to do? What to do?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Man in the iron mask

Er...you don't need a DVD-ROM drive to use any of these programs. Download and run

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 01-05-2005, 06:25 PM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

lol I've just spent almost a week getting rid of spyware, adware and a bunch of other things off my computer. My wonderful husband whom I love dearly clicked yes to continue at a game cheat site... soooooo I came home to quite a problem. I reminded him once again of whose computer this is and he is not to touch it. EVER. Especially because after doing everything I know to do- all those things you suggested- and running Spysweeper and my regcleaner, I'm still getting popups.

Anyways, just wanted to let Opium know that she's not alone. Of course she already knew that. Also you might want to download HiJackthis. just in case and go to one of those forums and post your log.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

IE is the devil browser, full of popups with no way to stop all of them. I stick with Opera like Zeke, setting the browser to not allow unwanted popups. Haven't had a single one.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Man in the iron mask

*cough*Firefox*cough*

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Or if you have MPD like me you can use both.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Firefox = None of these problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroc
Windows XP Service Pack 2

If you're running Windows XP, this is a great update to have - it secures your computer, adds a free pop-up blocker to IE, and comes with a free firewall! You get this through Windows Update, described above.
Actually, X.... the firewall sucks. Try downloading or buying AVG, it's a LOT better the the free firewall

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGodMan
Actually, X.... the firewall sucks. Try downloading or buying AVG, it's a LOT better the the free firewall
I never said it was good, or even that I use it, it comes with it - information only.

About the pop-ups and IE:

The Google Toolbar blocks pop-ups and so does XP SP2, so there is a way to block them.

And if you do the things I recommended, IE is secure and I have never gotten a single piece of spyware or any unwanted pop-ups.

(and, if you'll look closely - I actually recommended Firefox.)

Admiral_sab, I recommend you install and run the programs I reccomended to clean your computer, and block pop-ups.

Opium, you need no DVD, CD, or even Floppy drive to run these programs, simply download and install them.

Also, I recommend everyone should check their computer for spyware, you might be suprised what you find.

Finally, feel free to ask me any questions you have!

Xeroc Central

Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Quote:
How come I got 4 trojans from a java source?

And also, how do I disable/enable java?

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGodMan
Quote:
How come I got 4 trojans from a java source?

And also, how do I disable/enable java?
Well, java isn't secure, and likely something was either installed by Java, or was downloaded with Java (if you didn't get it directly from Sun Microsystems)

How to disable/enable Java in multiple browsers:

In Internet Explorer:

[Menu] Tools > Internet Options...
Go to the "Advanced" Tab of the dialog that pops up
Uncheck everything upder the Headings of "Java (Sun)" and "Microsoft VM"
You may have to restart IE or even your entire computer for these changes to take effect.

In Mozilla Firefox:

[Menu] Tools > Options...
Go to the "Web Features" tile on the left of the dialog that pops up
Uncheck the "Enable Java" checkbox

In Netscape Navigator (7)

[Menu] Edit > Preferences...
Click directly on (not the + box, but the name) the "Advanced" node of the TreeView on the left of the dialog that pops up
Uncheck the "Enable Java" checkbox

In Opera (7)
[Menu] Tools > Quick Preferences (F12) > Enable Java
Simply click the menu checkbox to disable it.

If there are any other browsers you wish to request directions, or have any other questions, feel free to ask! (Of course, I can only help you with ones I have or can get )

Xeroc Central