The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It also reminded me of the Voyager holodeck episodes. So here's a theory:

Maybe it's not time travel at all, maybe this race of aliens took over earth to recreate a war or two. Though, that wouldn't neccesarilly explain the absence of all of Earth's space stations. Also, I don't like that explanation.

So here are the two time-travel explanations: Either they went back in time. Or they are in an alternate timeline, in which the Nazi's have taken over the world. After all, they are in San Francisco. Though, why do they still use such primitive technology.

In case there is a time-travel explanation, who traveled with them? The aquatic ship? Shran? And where the fr*ll is Daniels when you need him?

Or we could go with the Buffy explanation. The Nazi guy is an ubervamp member of Wolf Ram and Hart and in a moment we'll see him turned to dust with Spike standing behind him. Yeah. That's it.

Anyway, I liked the episode a lot.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hello.. duh. Daniels time Traveled Archer to save his @$$ and the Federation when he tried to get himselved blowned up. Now the Enterprise is sent back in time as well to recover archer and bring him back home alive. I think. Althought why Daniels had to go all screwy like that and not just transport him to someplace else or transport him back for people. OR maybe it was the Suliban and evil future guy that time traveled him! Oh oh oh. I'm gonna stop before my brain explodes.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

[color=#000000ost_uid0]First off, may I state the obvious: the title kicked serious @ss.

Second off...Nazis are a Trek plot device. "Hey, we're out of ideas. Let's bring in Nazis....and Time travel! Yeah!"

I expected Shran. I didn't expect the Vulcans. Thank all deities they weren't there.

FinaL: Where are the Avians, dammit? They're mentioned too much to be gone. I wanna see 'em!

Maybe this is Paramount's excuse to bring them in.

(Hey, I can dream.)[/colorost_uid0]

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[quoteost_uid3="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000ost_uid3]when I saw the Nazi Uniforms, then the alien, I began thinking about the Voyager episodes where they were stuck in the holodeck with their new memories.[/colorost_uid3][/quoteost_uid3]
[color=#000000ost_uid3]Didn't watch, but when I heard about them I thought of a weirdish book I once read where aliens who were tampering with timelines to bring Earth under control were helping a bunch of Nazis... [/colorost_uid3]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-29-2004, 12:38 AM
...and not cowardly

[color=#000000ost_uid0]First off: WTF WAS THAT?!?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen enough ENT lately to know what's going on, but I personally think that B&B chose to do this to screw with the minds of those that watch the show. I mean, come on, there's a whole bunch stuff that should have been done different, but a small listing of problems seems a good way to start.

First off, Why did [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] end up in the past?
Maybe, just maybe, their immersion in that trans-dimensional space sent them back into the past.
Several problems with this though: If they were sent into the past, how were they able to meet up with Degra's ship, and be transported back to earth by an Aquatic vessel? If they too were transported into the past, then that could explain things, but also cause other problems. [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] might be explainable by the immersion in trans-dimensional space, although that's really stretching it, but how would Degra's and the Aquatic's ship be explained?

Second: Good question, where is Daniels? Maybe he's killing time by censoring those book Archer saw.

Third: It seems unlikely that the world has been conquered by the Nazi's, alien or not. Best guess of when they are is sometime in the very early 1940's. I say this because P-51 Mustangs only came into existence during that time. And why would Nazi's use an allied design when they had effective designs of their own?
And it was Mustangs that shot at the shuttlepod. They are very distinctive.

As for the rest, like Shran and Dolim's [iost_uid0]energetic reversion to kit form[/iost_uid0], they were fun, though Shran's entrance did seem like a most unexpected thing. I like his attitude though. "Tell Archer, we're not even anymore. Now, he owes ME!" The things some people do...

It kicked for the most part, but I had a hard time doing what was necessary to watch it; shut off my brain, and just try to enjoy it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My theory is that when the weapon blew up, it opened up a riff in time and space. Enterprise slipped through it when they came back to Earth.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So there are two possibilities. Either the alien nazi (and his race) purposely transported them to the past, or it was an accident, and the alien doesn't even know Archer's from the future.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Still saying they should have had Castro taking over the world, not more Nazi aliens... or how about Mao? ERG!

My only hope is that they ARE making a BTVS crossover and Spike will appear...maybe they are reading the Group Adaptive Story [/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 05-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[quoteost_uid0="Opium"][color=#000000ost_uid0]...maybe they are reading the Group Adaptive Story [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]If that is the case, then expect Josie the cow to show up in Season four.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2004, 07:13 PM

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000ost_uid0]First off, Why did [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] end up in the past?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]It didn't. [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] is in their present, but the present has been altered, presumably by Archer, who [iost_uid0]is[/iost_uid0] in the past. With space Nazis. Oy. ?_?

Or maybe it was the space Nazis who changed the timeline and Daniels sent Archer back to deal with them. Or something. :eyeroll:[/colorost_uid0]
And become EVIL!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Finally got a chance to watch the finale.

In all, I think I liked it all the way up until the cliffhanger, which just felt unnecessary. It reminded me of the ending to the 2001 [iost_uid0]Planet of the Apes[/iost_uid0], just an unnecessary twist to keep the audience guessing.

Some of my dislike may be due to the fact that I felt the crew of Enterprise deserved a break for the summer. After this year long threat of annihilation, all the sacrifices that had to be made, all the stress that's been on them, I felt they deserved a good three months unwinding back on Earth, while the Enterprise gets repaired in spacedock. Oh well.

Otherwise, I thought the episode was good. I really liked the momentum and the way we kept cutting between the Enterprise and Degra's ship. Shran was a bit out of the blue (pun intended), but I didn't have much of a problem with it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[quoteost_uid0="sweetclover"][color=#000000ost_uid0]It didn't. [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] is in their present, but the present has been altered, presumably by Archer, who [iost_uid0]is[/iost_uid0] in the past. With space Nazis. Oy.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]No, I'm inclined to disagree. The WWII bombers buzzing the shuttlepod make me think that Enterprise, and not just Archer, has been sent back into the past, although not quite as we remember it. Maybe this is Daniels' retaliation for Archer not listening to him. ("Thinks he's so smart... well let's see how he likes ALIEN NAZIS MWAHAHAHAHA!")

I too would have liked it if the crew could have had some downtime on Earth. It would have been interesting to come back in three months and find out what they've all been doing. Did T'Pol visit Vulcan or stay on Earth? (And the verdict from the T'Pol/Trippers is... Earth.) How is Trip dealing with being back home with half of Florida carved out? (He probably needs some neuropressure, the poor dear.) Does anyone care what Mayweather did? (Ha! No.) What does Reed find to shoot at? (Dinner?) And so forth. But alas, it is not to be.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000ost_uid0]People kept saying Enterprise had hit its stride. I was inclined to agree. Then came the last few minutes of the episode. CoughFuture's End ripoffcough.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Or [iost_uid0]12 Monkeys[/iost_uid0]. Or [iost_uid0]City on the Edge of Forever[/iost_uid0]. Or ...
[quoteost_uid0]*start of rant*:madder:
*&%& $&*% *^*#*^*#! Why is that any time America is at war, they bring up the Nazis? Like, "Hey, look, we're at war, but remember these guys? They were worse!".
*end of rant*:madder: [/quoteost_uid0]Probably a corollary to Godwin's Law.
[quoteost_uid0]Third: It seems unlikely that the world has been conquered by the Nazi's, alien or not. Best guess of when they are is sometime in the very early 1940's. I say this because P-51 Mustangs only came into existence during that time. And why would Nazi's use an allied design when they had effective designs of their own?
And it was Mustangs that shot at the shuttlepod. They are very distinctive. [/quoteost_uid0] Assuming the dates of the war itself have not been changed (yeah, a big assumption in itself), P-51s would fall in around late 1943 and 1944 (they weren't in production much prior to that, iirc.)[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Wait a second, who says the Nazis have conquered the world? When I saw the episode, I assumed Archer was in San Fransisco too, but he could just as easily have been somewhere is Europe. That means the shuttlepod was probably attacked by the allies. Apart from the alien, it seems that history hasn't really been changed, and it's just time travel.

Also, you've probably all drawn this conclusion way before, and I'm just slow. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*is still claiming only way Enterprise can fix this mess is by bringing in Spike*

[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Him and the wee-little-puppet-man.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-06-2004, 10:33 PM
...and not cowardly

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My idea:

This episode was filmed prior to the decision to renew it. If they [iost_uid0]had[/iost_uid0] cancelled it... *shudders*. Maybe this was just a ploy by B&B to get the show renewed, or to screrw everyone over if the show was cancelled.

Maybe they'll just have some minor plot point to say that Season 3 was just a test of the emergency broadcast system, and if it actually had been an emergency, the Borg, the Q Continuum and the bug parasite things from season 1 of TNG would have been directly involved.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Calvinist

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Perhaps they an alt ending, with a funeral for the Captain? Or maybe just add some filler sometimes in before he gets "killed", and then finish off with the Captian's
death"?

Still saying with the master Vampire-ish alien, Spike will have to be coming to Enterprise![/colorost_uid0]