The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 AM
You just activated his Trek card

What the Enterprise looks like in Discovery

Sure, totally Prime Universe. Captain Pike is so flying around in that thing...

The Discovery creators are still deluded.

"Perhaps the Enterprise has been upgraded since "The Cage" but will be wrecked and rebuilt at some point and it will, only then resemble the ship we know from the Captain Kirk era."

So the Enterprise will be rebuilt THREE times? An article writer actually proposed that. Highly illogical...

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Okay, so I have a bit to catch up on. I delayed a little with the new episodes due to personal developments, so I caught the second half of season 1 late.

First off, echo the sentiment earlier of Lorca getting killed multiple times. The fact that he was so ruthlessly evil, upon the looking glass of hindsight, that was sooooo much more satisfying than first realized. Slightly envious of Mudd.

Second, to address Nate's sarcasm: you know the reason why the Enterprise looks so much different, right? The whole muddy *snicker* rights to the series thing? Okay. Moving on.

And third... I actually didn't mind the jaunt into the mirror, save for the Culber thing, which I swear my eyes were only reacting to allergens in the air at the time. I do agree with evay about the Bury Your Gays trope; it seems that any iota of happiness is immediately squashed by the producers and writers of this show. Was the season entertaining? Yes. Was it Trek? In varying degrees from not at all to full yes, which I am hopeful to see Season 2 and feel a little less uneven. The sequel series' Season 1 curse seems to be in full effect.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-11-2023 at 12:03 AM. Reason: misattribution
Old 06-09-2018, 12:12 AM

You'll have to elaborate, Gremmy.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:37 AM

Oh....

So the new Enterprise had to be 25% different, or else money would have to be paid to the current owners of the original design.

Furthermore, when designing the new Enterprise the decision was made to change things that could plausibly be changed back to TOS standards offscreen.

So, it's canon. The whole ship will be rebuilt three times in ten years, and then Admiral Morrow will declare it to be out-of-date and not worth saving.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 PM

Three times in 10 years isn't outside the realm of possibility, especially if the Enterprise takes damage at the end of its time on DISCO and they have to Robocop the ship.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 AM

The thing is...it won't be rebuilt to a more advanced design, it'll be rebuilt back to the original design. As Spock would say (or rather, sing), "highly illogical".

Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM

...they lost the advanced plans to a ransomware attack by Ferengi?

Honestly, I got nothin'.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 AM

Season 2 seems all right. I think they did all right with Pike, but their Talosians and Vina was horrid. Also, time travel itself being such a damn plot hole for the series...
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Well, now you Americans can catch S1 without any CBS All Access... access... CBS is using S1 to fill out its COVID-19 affected fall season for broadcast on television.

Probably still won't convince some of you to watch it, but hey it's worth a shot.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:33 PM

You're right, I still won't watch...

Old 10-17-2020, 06:36 AM

Season 3, episode 1 is out.

Man, those ring phaser things are weird, but as of this first installment it's kinda hard to tell where this season is going.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:13 AM
What, no 47?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evay View Post
I really like Stamets. Once he got past Random Jerkass stage and moved to Interesting Fuckup stage, which includes moments of Jerkass, he became extremely appealing.

Honestly I like everybody. I like that they're huge messes. I like that Tilly is competent at her job and a total doofus personally. I like that Lorca is a charismatic paranoid obsessive. I like the human-Vulcan tension in Burnham. (The Burnham-Tyler romance seems slightly forced, but whatevs.)

And as far as continuity... I don't care. I absolutely do. not. care. I am a Trekkie and I can argue continuity and the combination of Kirk's safe and makeup-vs-virus with the best of Get-A-Lifers. I just don't care. It simply doesn't bother me enough to get in the way.

Maybe because the show is so obviously just not pretending to care? The show itself is having fun putting the past in a blender and rebooting and rejiggering and rewriting? I mean, really, really, would anyone want to see sets which looked like they were built out of styrofoam and cardboard because "this is pre-Kirk and that's how Kirk's ship looked"?

This is Trek by way of BSG2K dipping into the Abramsverse and coming out as its own thing. And that's fine. If I don't like it, my DVDs are right over there on the shelf. TOS streams on Amazon Prime, which is how we're watching it with my kid. There's just so much other bullshit in the world right now which requires me to expend my energy and gin up my outrage that I just don't have any to spare for worrying about this. Besides, after the utter character assassination of T'Pol over the course of ENT, and the complete hatchet job of The Abomination, there's pretty much nothing Trek can do which is going to tick me off any more. It's all been done. The sacred sehlats have been slaughtered.

That's me personally. If the uniforms and TECH really chafe your ass, you are welcome to be as annoyed as you like. I deny no one the right to nitpick and bitch.
What makes you say Voyager didn't care about continuity at all?? I think they mostly did and yes had a few flubs that could be interpreted as :violating but maybe nkt..thevshuttles forbexample.the crew did trade parts and failry kfteb and theyvHad REPKICATORS for Pete's sake abd acquired Borg tech with Seven that probably enhanced their regeneratove abilities and probably helped replicate parts..isn't that enough to justify the number pf shuttles?
Old 03-06-2022, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I mean, really, really, would anyone want to see sets which looked like they were built out of styrofoam and cardboard because "this is pre-Kirk and that's how Kirk's ship looked"?

There's a way to be faithful to the TOS aesthetic without making everything look like styrofoam and cardboard. For example, I liked the Trek 09 uniforms! Taking what existed and upping the resolution without betraying continuity, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm even a bit more forgiving of the DSC Enterprise design.

There's a difference between the defeatist attitude of "it'll never work, we have to change everything" and the optimistic attitude of "what can we do with these restrictions?"

The whole thing reminds me of how the DC movies are being made by people who are ashamed of the comic books and the Marvel movies are being made by people who want to embrace the comic books. The mindset is important, and the current Trek creators seem to be ashamed of Star Trek, and that can only lead to disaster.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:54 AM

I'm returning here after Season 4. More because my stupid computer likes logging me out of this place and it looks like there's no new posts so I ignore...

Season 3's payoff was lacking. "Magical Space Child blows up all ships because of Space Grief" was not a direction I expected, and it was not a great direction to go in the first place. It felt a little forced. Yeah, yeah, I know I have been a booster of the series as a whole since the first episode, despite everything, but the Season 3 feels like another Season 1 with a lot less interesting stuff happening in the latter half of the season. Osyraa was just a bad villain.

Season 4 had the opposite problem. The first half was just not that interesting, but the second half I am a sucker for these types of concepts and it was just great - with the notable exception of Booker carrying the Idiot Ball for almost the entire season. Tarka was an interesting character too, in the fact that the actor was trying to go full Kai Winn and just be as despicable of a character as he could be. It fell a little short, because I sit here and I realize I kinda wanted his transporter to succeed and I can't even explain why. Also, I realized that Tilly not being in the episodes made me focus more on the rest of the bridge crew. I still can't name them all which is a problem in and of itself, but Detmer and Owo I am glad to say they got screen time and focus individually, and they work very well as characters (and just admit their love for each other dammit). Rhys needs a backstory and focus.

And please let S5 come along and there not be a galactic crisis. Three are more than enough for one series. Even Kirk didn't get that many.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:51 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager0929 View Post
What makes you say Voyager didn't care about continuity at all??
I... didn't say that? My comment was that I don't care if Discovery, the show, does stuff which "violates continuity" in the seasons before the time jump. I don't care that Disco's tech is obviously way better than TOS. We know TOS was filmed in the late 1960s. Who cares? The show is enjoyable.

There are gatekeepers who complain about this bit contradicting that earlier bit, and my point is that I don't care about trying to keep it all in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gremlin View Post
made me focus more on the rest of the bridge crew. I still can't name them all which is a problem in and of itself
OH THANK THE GODS IT'S NOT JUST ME. I thought I was just being stupid that I honestly cannot remember all the folks standing in the back when I could name and discuss all the bridge crew in all the other shows.

Tags
discussion, dsc, star trek discovery