The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[quoteost_uid0="sweetclover"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Not individuals' names, but Vulcan, Romulus, and Remus are all out of mythology. Someone else can tell you the specifics; I'm tired. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Romulus and Remus were twins abandoned by their mothers who were nursed by a she-wolf. They went on to found Rome, although when Remus was chosen to rule, Romulus killed him.

I have no idea why the PTBs named the planet "Reman" in [iost_uid0]Nemesis[/iost_uid0]. It was referred to as Remus in TOS. *grinds teeth* Although, it's called "Romii" on StarTrek.com. Ugh.

Vulcan was the Roman's name for Hephaestos, the misshapen and deformed Greek god of the forge and metalworking. Which makes sense, given the planet's heat, and... er... heat.

Plenty of other myth references as well. The ship Bashir was on in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"--AKA "Ross Can't Pronounce Latin Worth Beans"--was called [iost_uid0]Bellerophon[/iost_uid0]. He was a king who killed the chimera and, for his hubris, was thrown to his death by Pegasus when he attempted to fly to Olympus.

Bit of an omen, I'd say.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Hoshi is Japanese for "star".[/quoteost_uid0]
Sato also means something in Japanese. Maybe (country) home; village. I can't seem to get any dictionary where I can actually read the results.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ferengi is the Hindi word for "outsider". It was commonly used to refer to the Europeans when the British still had India.

Which reminds me that Data's daughter Lal is the Hindi word for "Beloved".[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]But they explained that one in the episode.

By the way, nice finds, all.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Scooter"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="mudshark"]OT: Now that you've changed your avatar, [bost_uid0]Scooter[/bost_uid0], and before I forget, who was that in your previous one?[/quoteost_uid0]
Previous avatar was Roger Delgado, who played The Master, the Doctor's nemesis, in Doctor Who during the early Seventies.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, okay. Thanks. I couldn't decide whether that was someone I should recognize, but my [iost_uid0]Who[/iost_uid0] viewing pretty much begins and ends with the Tom Baker period.
[quoteost_uid0]Ferengi is the Hindi word for "outsider". It was commonly used to refer to the Europeans when the British still had India. [/quoteost_uid0]The word may come originally from the Malay [iost_uid0]farang[/iost_uid0], but this is one one linguists and etymologists argue over. Regardless of origin, the meaning ("outsider" or "foreigner") remains consistent.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 05-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Ferengi is the Hindi word for "outsider".[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Really? Awesome.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Michiel"][color=#000000ost_uid0]By the way, nice finds, all.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes! Thanks -- this was just the kind of thing I was hoping to get.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I have no idea why the PTBs named the planet "Reman" in [iost_uid0]Nemesis[/iost_uid0]. It was referred to as Remus in TOS. *grinds teeth* Although, it's called "Romii" on StarTrek.com. Ugh.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I thought "Reman" was the adjective only, alongside "Romulan." Have to go back and see Nemesis to check--didn't they say "Remus" to refer to the planet?

I do remember that in "Balance of Terror" Spock talks about the twin planets Romulus and Remus while pointing to a graphic that says Romulus and Romii. That's why StarTrek.com is confused. As far as I know, that graphic is the only canonical reference to Romii.

Think of it as the Vulcanis of the Romulan Empire. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like your thinking, Scoot.

BTW, Cat, I looked it up:

Sato seems to mean either "assistant" or "Wisteria".[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]They went on to found Rome, although when Remus was chosen to rule, Romulus killed him.
[/quoteost_uid0]

[smartass] Actually, Romulus was chosen to rule, so Remus got jealous and mocked him, and Romulus killed him. [/smartass]

For any information you could possibly need about the entire history of Rome, go to Miscellaneous and read Five-Minute History of Rome. [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 05-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Nic Corelli"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]They went on to found Rome, although when Remus was chosen to rule, Romulus killed him.
[/quoteost_uid0]

[smartass] Actually, Romulus was chosen to rule, so Remus got jealous and mocked him, and Romulus killed him. [/smartass][/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Livy reports rival legends surrounding the death of Remus. So we're not sure [iost_uid0]what[/iost_uid0] happened.

Personally I assume that Remus was just wearing a red toga that day.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Red toga.. ::cracks up::

Maybe Aeneas founded Rome, then...

Or the Romulans founded Rome? Anything`s possible... [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire