The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm surprised no-one has brought up [iost_uid0]Flight of the Navigator[/iost_uid0] yet.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]if you travel back to the exact moment you left, you'd never have disappeared.[/quoteost_uid0]
That's exactly why you [iost_uid0]could[/iost_uid0] see your future self, as long as it doesn't influence you going back.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sounds like Michiel is arguing the need for some kind of "temporal mass-parity coefficient" in the equation. (Kind of like the cosmological constant.)

Not exactly the same thing, but I'm reminded of:

[iost_uid0]In space travel ... the numbers are awful[/iost_uid0] -- Slartibartfast[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]That's exactly why you could see your future self, as long as it doesn't influence you going back.[/quoteost_uid0]

Changes in the timeline occur only the moment when you travel through it, using the consequences of that travel. The moment you travel 75 years to the future, the timeline records you suddenly dissapeared and suddenly reappeared 75 years later (the same physical age as when you left, of course). You've been missing the entire time inbetween.

Then, when you travel back to your own time, lets say to ten minutes from the moment you left, the timeline is changed once again. It now records you disappeared, then ten minutes later reappeared.

I think...

[quoteost_uid0]Sounds like Michiel is arguing the need for some kind of "temporal mass-parity coefficient" in the equation. (Kind of like the cosmological constant.)[/quoteost_uid0]

In English please. (Or, preferably in Dutch) Are you refering to the whole mass-post waaaay back there? [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You talk as if you've actually been there. But as long as you keep to one timeline, you can still change the future, even if you already know how it's going to turn out. Thereby changing your own past, in the future... If you travel back to your original time, you have not disappeared in the first place, or, you have, but re-appeared just about the same time. You would know that when you are in the future.[/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 06-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]You talk as if you've actually been there.[/quoteost_uid0]

WHO TOLD Y....

Meh, I just love discussing this kind of thing. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Btw, I would do it in Dutch, but then you would have to travel back in time to eh, discover America first so that everyone would speak Dutch instead of English. Otherwise, the rest of the forum wouldn't understand a word, so I'll speak English untill you do. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually I was refering to what Mudshark said.

And what you don't know, is that originally the US spoke French, until I traveled back in time to change it to English, which was preferable and acceptable.

Oh... Now you do.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]And what you don't know, is that originally the US spoke French[/quoteost_uid0]

Actually, it was Swedish until Stuyvesant (mangled the spelling, I suspect) wandered over and conquered them...after which Holland traded Nieuw Amsterdam to England in exchange for some largely useless South American coastline. Who got the raw end of that deal?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Actually I was refering to what Mudshark said.[/quoteost_uid0]
I know. So?

[quoteost_uid0]And what you don't know, is that originally the US spoke French, until I traveled back in time to change it to English, which was preferable and acceptable. [/quoteost_uid0]
Oh in that case: thank you! THANK you!

[quoteost_uid0]Who got the raw end of that deal?[/quoteost_uid0]
Well, what could New Amsterdam [iost_uid0]possibly[/iost_uid0] become? Except for a large, wellfaring city like New York... DAMN![/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Oh in that case: thank you! THANK you![/quoteost_uid0]

Am I ever glad I wasn't born in France. I don't speak a word of French. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]...after which Holland traded Nieuw Amsterdam to England in exchange for some largely useless South American coastline. Â Who got the raw end of that deal?[/quoteost_uid0]
England, obviously. The reason why we don't remember that as being the case is that Holland promptly went and blew its S.A. coastline in trades for draft picks that turned out to be worthless.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Michiel"][color=#000000ost_uid0]And what you don't know, is that originally the US spoke French, until I traveled back in time to change it to English, which was preferable and acceptable. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Interesting historical fact I still retain from my AP US history class: When the United States was still under the Articles of Confederation, there was a vote over what the national language should be. English won out, of course, but German was not far behind.

I like to tell that to anyone who tells me "The US doesn't have an official national language." Well, it does, but whether it still applies is somewhat debatable (though the Land Act of 1785 applied long after the Constitution was accepted. In fact, it may still be followed today.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The draft picks weren't useless. It's the colony we traded it for, which the US convinced (read: forced) us to give up after 200 years already. Now [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0] was just mean.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Interesting historical fact I still retain from my AP US history class: When the United States was still under the Articles of Confederation, there was a vote over what the national language should be. English won out, of course, but German was not far behind.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]As I recall, English was chosen by a [iost_uid0]very[/iost_uid0] narrow margin (one version says we were a single vote from speaking German.)

Michiel: I was responding more to the train of thought running through a number of your posts up to that point -- not to one in particular -- and that response shouldn't be taken too seriously. (That [iost_uid0]was[/iost_uid0] English, btw -- I'd be completely hopeless at Dutch.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Michiel"]I don't understand, why is that? There could still be a temporal paradox.[/quoteost_uid0]
The important thing is travelling BACK to your original leaving point plus a few seconds.

Wait, that wouldn't work: any future you in any way influenced would not yet exist. There would be no future for you to go to. Which means you can't really time travel at all, because chaos theory sort of means that everything is interrelated anyway. I think.

I'm going with the Vulcan Science Directorate on this one. Multiverse is the only other way.

Except for that weird accelerated light thing. That's WEIRD.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Except for that weird accelerated light thing. That's WEIRD.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]yes it is.

but I'm with Janeway on this one, i make it a point of avoiding temporal paradox's (thats what she said anyway, she didnt do a very good job of it.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Nan"]The important thing is travelling BACK to your original leaving point plus a few seconds.

Wait, that wouldn't work: any future you in any way influenced would not yet exist.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yes, it would! Just ask the Prophets. Or K't'lk and her non-causal physics. Or even Picard during "All Good Things...". "I don't see how, but I'll switch to my future self. He's had more time to think about it." :smile:[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]But h--

Cats.

Ah.

[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Huh? Cats? Weren't we talking about time-travelling and temporal paradoxes and such? What do cats have to do with that?[/colorost_uid0]