The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > Exosites > Five-Minute Stargate

Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

See? Exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't ditch the stupid thing if I tried. It's not just you -- everyone I've raised the question with has reacted with shock.

That said, I would actually be more comfortable with Ludicrous Speed if it weren't a Spaceballs reference (it's only an indirect one anyway). The line between homage and theft is thin, and I worry about readers placing me on the wrong side of it.

[ED: I think I'm failing to emphasize the important part here. Making and/or stealing a silly joke is one thing -- doing so in every single fiver is another.]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 10-18-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:09 AM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

I should really change my signature to professional thread necromancer.

Anyway, I saw this thread and I just wanted to respond to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
[ED: I think I'm failing to emphasize the important part here. Making and/or stealing a silly joke is one thing -- doing so in every single fiver is another.]
First off, it's not in every single fiver. Most of the two-part or continuing stories have differing jokes - Enterprise heads off at Dolorous Speed.

Second, to point out the obvious, Spaceballs is a parody of Star Wars specifically and science fiction in general. But it is also a homage to all of these, as is most parodies, and this site is a homage as well. I think Mel Brooks would approve of the homage to his movie.

And third, thank you for never doing a Spaceballs fiver.