The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 AM
You just activated his Trek card

I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
"My nose is very sensitive to powders?" Who talks like that? "Powders irritate my nose" is better.
Umm...Japanese translation gremlins?

You can't exactly blame them, though. Somebody set them up the bomb/they have no chance to survive make their time...
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM

You haven't experienced AYB until you've seen a million duplicated Robot Masters say it at the same time. Another reason why I love Bob and George.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
Wow. No idea how I made that mistake, either. Coulda sworn it was Valium who said that.
Now you've scared me.

(That's not so much a 'surprised' smiley as a 'cold rectal thermometer' smiley, really.)
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM

And do you speak from experience?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Regenerating like a Phoenix

Sorry, but every blue smilie has just turned into, 'cold rectal thermometer' in my head. WHY ARE YOU SMILING AND WINKING?
Church: I'm just worried, man, who knows if this stuff is contagious? For all we know Caboose could be next. Wake up tomorrow morning he's throwin' up, runnin' a huge fever, next thing you know he's bleeding out of his eyes 'cause his internal organs are liquifying. And I'm gonna be the one that has to hold his hand while he screams himself to death. That's not gonna be any fun.
Caboose: I'm gonna go take a vitamin.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 AM

The winking smilie was just to convey the age-old "nudge nudge, wink wink" kind of body language.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Quote:
"Because God forbid, the name sucks."
So even you admit it!
For some dumb, perhaps suicidal reason, I feel like returning to this point. I've been thinking about it a little bit.

Let's examine a few system names. Game Boy. PlayStation. X-Box. Saying "I'm playing my Game Boy" out loud today, had the system never come out in the first place, would have unusual and likely disturbing conotations. Were it "Game Man", things would be even worse (hint: say it out loud). PlayStation just sounds dorky. X-Box sounds like it's trying too hard to be "X-TREME 2 DA MAX!!1", which in fairness, the name really was.

Really, all video game systems have had pretty lame names. And for the most part, gamers haven't really noticed or cared. "Wii" sounds a bit different, sure. But is it really any worse than "Game Boy"?

Furthermore, I realize even you admit it's a silly bone of contention. But you still seem to have this eerie, somewhat forced bias against both of Nintendo's systems, with price being the only bit of logic I think has any bearing. Are the systems not 100% backward compatable? Yeah. Do they play movies? No. Has Nintendo made a few missteps in the direction of each? Definitely. Their insistance on using friend codes as the basis for their online system is absolutely silly.

But really, if you look around at the opinions of Nintendo fans, and if you'll examine the marketshare each is gaining monthly, you'll find that most of these people don't find these issues such a big stumbling block toward buying the system. I've seen more than one forumgoer on more than one forum call the software line-up on the DS the greatest, most diverse one Nintendo has had since the days of the SNES.

The fact of the matter is, Nintendo is in the midst of a second rennaisance of sorts. There are some really, really stellar titles on the DS. And the Wii is just getting started, but by the end of the year it'll have a similarly ice-solid library -- I guaruntee. It's been a long time since the gamer community was this excited about Nintendo. In terms of sheer word of mouth, they're the company to beat right now.

So basically what you should be asking yourself, if I may, is this: would a future iteration of you feel any regret about missing out on such a creative boon the likes of which your favorite video game publisher hasn't seen in a good decade or longer? Is this something you won't feel bad about missing out on by then? Sure, you can always buy either system later, after the price drops dramatically and the next generation kicks off. But by then, the industry will have moved on and you'll be playing yesterday's greats. And you won't really be partaking in this new wave of Nintendo excitement. You'll just be getting the hand-me-downs.

I love my retro gaming, don't get me wrong. My entertainment center in my room has an SNES, N64, and Wii hooked up to one TV, with a shelf holding every iteration of the Game Boy. I still play plenty of old games. But there's something... special (hokey, yes) about going to an electronics store on the launch date of a major release and enjoying a brand-new experience while it's still refreshing and state-of-the-art.

Obviously the decision is yours. But by buying a last-gen system, you miss out on the current generation. The reverse is not the case.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

^ But that would be arguing from a rational and systematically-arrived-at position.

Wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi View Post
Now you've scared me.

(That's not so much a 'surprised' smiley as a 'cold rectal thermometer' smiley, really.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
Sorry, but every blue smilie has just turned into, 'cold rectal thermometer' in my head. WHY ARE YOU SMILING AND WINKING?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM

If you're going to start into "all game system names are lame," then I'm going to start "is Revolution really any lamer?"

"Wii" is WORSE than Game Boy. Putting aside inevitable comparisons to urine, it's still a childish exclamation of joy, emphasis on "childish."

Oh, and while we're on the subject: are they selling any fewer Playstations or X-Boxes because they have to translate the name for foreign markets? Seriously.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

X-Box 360 and PlayStation 3 are, in Japan, called "X-Box 360" and "PlayStation 3" respectively.

Obviously, whether a name is retarded or not is a subjective opinion. Do I believe the name is silly? Yes. Is it the silliest name out there? Definitely not. I really do think "Game Boy" takes the cake on that one. And it's about as bad as "X-Box" (LOLZ SEXXBOXX LOLZ). But -- again, obviously -- milliage will vary.

But forget that argument for a second, if you are indeed capable of doing so. How does the name have any bearing whatsoever on the quality of the system itself? Sure, if there was some vast upset over the ridiculous name, profits would be down, budgets would be cut, and sure -- quality would suffer. But that's not at all the case. I sincerely doubt most Wii owners even know what "Nintendo Revolution" refers to. And those who do have long since moved on to other, more important issues like "Is the system fun to play?" and "How is the quality of the game library?". You can debate the answers to these questions, and many have. But really, the only discussion I see anymore about "Wii" vs "Revolution" is right here in this forum. Everyone else has moved on. And a vast majority of Nintendo Zealots along with a good proportion of the rest of the gaming community is really excited about Nintendo's new direction.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
^ But that would be arguing from a rational and systematically-arrived-at position.
When all else fails...

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 AM

Apparently my admission of total stupidity of opinion yet total, one hundred percent refusal to change my mind is falling on deaf ears.

Game Boy takes the cake on silliest? I think I ran a poll on that awhile back.

http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1139

And the Wii won, by a factor of three, so I don't think there's anything more to say.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

Is anyone else finding it fun just to sit here and watch this thread? Because I sure am.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Two things,

First, as long as we're apparentlying... apparently, the whole concept of "milliage will vary" and "suckiness of a console's name is subjective" is falling on deaf ears. Run all the totally unbiased, one hundred percent scientific polls about console names on humor website forums all you want. Apparently (again with the apparentlies) you don't understand that the statement "I really do think "Game Boy" takes the cake on that one" is a statement of opinion. Your enormously accurate citation does nothing to alter my "opinion".

Second, you started this thread asking for opinions. Apologies for offering them and the offenses that resulted from my efforts to help you come to a so-called decision.

And because it probably needs to be said, a third thing. I realize by prefacing the following with the phrase "this is not a threat" will only plant the notion "is he threatening me?" in the reader's head. But I reiterate -- this is not a threat.

Ahem.

As others have observed, this has become somewhat heated for what should be a relatively straightforward discussion about something that has far less importance in our world than big-picture issues like religion and politics. We don't talk about the latter here precisely because we wish to avoid said heat. Now I realize I am a participant in this discussion, but I also have moderator powers here. Now, I'm not pointing fingers in particular because certainly I have contributed to the heated nature of this discussion. This is precisely why I'm making a point to say this; it would be pretty damn irresponsible of me to let it escalate and escalate (if indeed it would) until Zeke gets irked enough to close it. I'm posting in here, and I need to keep an eye on things.

Can we try to keep this thread in the manner of "Here is a rational argument for this", "Here is my rational objection". Instead of "WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN" times ∞.

In other words, let's leave the indignation and personal bruhahabuh out of it. This is a thread asking for opinions about videogames. Not a holy war.

And if indeed, you are all opinioned out Nate and think the thread has run its course, or if you've already made a decision and don't really want to discuss it anymore, it can be closed.

Thanks for reading, and uh... carry on?

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM

As I recall, the original request was: should I

A. Save myself some money by buying a used Gamecube, particularly because there aren't any "must have" Revolution games yet. Besides, it suddenly occurs to me that the next system will inevitably preserve backwards compatibility. Like it or not, the current size disc is here to stay, so it's just a matter of which lasers or whatnot.
B. Splurge on an expensive system where I'll have to get practically everything new, where I'll risk property destruction, where batteries are going to be a major concern, and so forth.

It's you guys who keep trying to change the unchangable.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Then why do you need to solicit opinions when it seems you've overwhelmingly made a decision and are not open to alternative suggestions?

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

I asked that earlier, actually. Why doesn't he just get a Gamecube?

Quote:
I would, but it's still a sizable investment. That's why I started this thread in the first place, I needed to keep myself occupied considering the options, since I couldn't act anytime soon anyway.
So, very brief summary:
Gamecube has the advantage of being cheaper, and the ongoing bonus of cheaper games.
Wii has the advantage of better graphics or whatever, and the ongoing advantage of new games.

The major problem is money, I believe. That was part of Nate's original post. I think what he wants is either an overwhelming argument for Wii, or support for the Gamecube idea. Because he can't afford it if it's not really REALLY worth it.

Nate, why don't you try it before you make up your mind? You must know someone that has one and will be willing to let you try it out. Didn't someone say you can play Gamecube Games on the Wii? You sort of win both ways don't you, by being able to play new games as they come out, and still buy the cheaper old ones you know and love?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:46 AM

Sorry, this thread is closed. I'm just poking sticks at hornet's nests here, you guys keep getting me riled up, and on and on...

I won't even have the three hundred I'd need to set myself up on a used Gamecube, so I suppose it was a moot point to begin with.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

I'll close the thread now then, as it seems that's what you want. If I'm vastly misunderstanding you, or you have a change of heart, I can be PMed.

Next time you start a discussion of video game consoles, think about how we can gear the conversation toward "debate, discourse, and light-hearted banter". Not "mutual pig-headedness". I'll try to do the same.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Closed Thread