The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

View Poll Results: 5MV Nomenclature Poll III - Why yes, I *am* overusing this name
www.five-minute.com 22 55.00%
www.fiveminute.net 13 32.50%
www.fiveminute.org 4 10.00%
Other (please post) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2004, 07:13 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So yeah, as newsposted, 5MV is getting a new domain name. The question is, which one? Fiveminute.com, my first choice, is taken; the simplest alternatives are five-minute.com (which I'm leaning towards), fiveminute.net, and fiveminute.org. Surprisingly, 5mv.com is taken too. I probably wouldn't have wanted that one, though, because of the way the subsite URLs work -- "five-minute.com/farscape" scans well, just as "fiveminute/farscape" does now.

Since I can't get the domain right away, I figured I'd ask you guys for your thoughts. Which of the choices above do you like best? Or, if you have another idea, what is it? (Don't let the "scanning" thing stop you if you have suggestions.)

Also, I don't know yet which domain name registrar I'm going to use. I could use some advice from those of you who have or have had websites. What experiences have you had with registrars? Which ones have the best service and prices? Please share. (Note: I'll need one with DNS service.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't really think of FMV as an organization or I would have said go with that. Five-minute.com is my choice. I don' tmind typing a hypen hehe.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just to weigh in, I like the hyphen. I think it looks better, and also the site has the hypen whenever it uses the term Five-Minute.

five-minute.com is a fine domain name (and what I voted for), and in general .coms are the most frequently thought of top-level domains. However, technically, .com stands for commerical sites, which 5MV isn't. .org stands for non-profit sites, which 5MV is. Some part of me wants to say that you should get five-minute.org instead.

Of course, nobody really follows the rules regarding .com, .net, and .org so it's not a big deal.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I second that.

[quoteost_uid0]I don' tmind typing a hypen hehe.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yeah, I'm used to typing an underscore whenever I log in. Same button, less shift. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Just to weigh in, I like the hyphen. I think it looks better, and also the site has the hypen whenever it uses the term Five-Minute.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oo, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of --

CELESTE! You changed your avatar! You CHANGED your AVATAR! You! Changed! YOUR avatar! Why? WHY?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]Also, I don't know yet which domain name registrar I'm going to use. I could use some advice from those of you who have or have had websites. What experiences have you had with registrars? Which ones have the best service and prices? Please share. (Note: I'll need one with DNS service.)[/quoteost_uid0]
I set up my simple domain (dadean.org) with namesecure.com. I interact with it using their web-based service. I've never had any complaints with them, but I've never had any praise for them either. Price-wise I think they lean a little cheaper then the average, but I'm pretty sure there are others that are cheaper still.

namesecure.com basically lets you do one of four things:
  1. Forward to another URL
  2. Forward to an IP address (what I currently do)>
  3. Put up a placeholder site
  4. Put up an under construction page
Its main drawback is that it doesn't handle email well. If you send email to anything at dadean.org, they all get forwarded to my real email address, so it doesn't allow for separate email accounts for separate people and it won't just pass them along to the server. In the case of my personal computer, that's fine, but I think the email thing would prevent me from ever using namesecure for something professional.

(And what do you mean you need one with DNS service? Don't they all provide that? Am I missing something?)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]CELESTE! You changed your avatar! You CHANGED your AVATAR! You! Changed! YOUR avatar! Why? WHY?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]::falls over::

I like it! It's still the Bernese mt Dogs. :P I actualy made it in Photoshop which I just pur- uh.. aquired.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]MyDomain has pretty good services. A web designer friend of mine linked me,and it's what I use for my i-winterbourne and working-title domains. $8.50 USD (about $11ish CDN), with a control panel and lots of services.

However, the webmail never worked for me, and I cancelled the service after about a week. V. annoying. Might've been because of my host, but whatever.

Worth a look, anyway.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Still not up to Level 18

Send a message via MSN to Marill Send a message via Yahoo to Marill

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I personally like fiveminute.net.. I prefer .net and some people may forget to put the - in the .com one.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There's no reason you can't reserve [iost_uid0]both[/iost_uid0] names. For example, you can reserve five-minute.com, make that your main domain, and then forward fiveminute.net to it. You might even want to do for a while that with the .ar domain you already have, which some people might be using.

Registrars all perform the same service, which means I would select by price and additional services. I've had good experience with GoDaddy, which charges $8.75 (last time I checked) and has some good additional services (including domain forwarding, email, etc.), many of them at no extra charge; their support has also been pretty good. In any event there's no reason to pay more than $9 for a domain. I would definitely avoid the two registrar dinosaurs, Network Solutions and Register.com. They overcharge and their support is terrible.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]PS -- if you really really really wanted fiveminute.com, you could always contact the existing owners and see if they want to sell it, since they're not using it. Chances are they'd want too much for it, though.

You can get domain owner info at NetSol WHOIS.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Administrator

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0](And what do you mean you need one with DNS service? Don't they all provide that? Am I missing something?)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Allow me to clarify with a flashback.

[iost_uid0][20:40] Zeke: I think fiveminute.com is taken, so I'd probably want five-minute.com.
[20:40] OJ: Just a registrar, or also a domain host (someone to provide DNS service as well as register the name)?
[20:41] Zeke: What's DNS service exactly?
[20:42] OJ: Somewhere there has to be a server that answers "www.five-minute.com is at 12.34.56.78". Some DNS registrars provide that as well as registering the domain itself (a prerequisite process that is somewhat independent of actual DNS serving).
[20:42] Zeke: Hmm. What do you recommend?
[20:44] OJ: It ties into where you're getting hosted. If they're willing to set up an actual virtualhost in the web server for you, get a real domain with someone who also provides DNS service (godaddy? I dunno. I use register.com but they're spendy for no good reason.) and get your host to set up the web server to do the right thing (that's the easy part).

If it's /some/dir then you'd be better off finding someone who can do redirection, and I don't know where to start on that one because, frankly, redirection SUCKS. [/iost_uid0]

Actually, allow me to clarify further with another flashback.

[iost_uid0][12:01] Christian: It's the first thing. You would indeed need to go to a registrar that provides a DNS service, where you would then enter our server's IP address.
[12:02] Zeke: Okay. I'll look into getting one of those. Where did you get your domains, btw?
[12:02] Christian: Network Solutions, but they're the most expensive in the business.
[12:02] Zeke: How expensive?
[12:03] Christian: Starting at $35 for one year, going down to $15 for ten years. And that's without a DNS service.
[12:04] Zeke: That *is* pretty hefty.
[12:07] Christian: What you'd want is something like this:
http://support.easydns.com/service/dnsbundle.php3
[12:08] Christian: (But then, preferably, for a lower price)
[12:09] Zeke: Ahh.
[12:22] Christian: What I think might be the most affordable option for you would be the following:
1) You would register a domain name at a place like GoDaddy.com. This would cost you $7.95 for a dot-com-address.
2) You would get a Basic DNS package at WorldWideDNS.net. This would cost you $10 per year for one domain name.

The total for that would then be $17.95 per year.[/iost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]>> Just to weigh in, I like the hyphen. I think it looks better, and also the site has the hypen whenever it uses the term Five-Minute. <<

I agree on all counts.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Me too. .com is cool.[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 03-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Five-minute.com" works for me, but then, I'm easy.

Whatever works, I'll be there to read, as long as you keep coming up with stuff.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 03-20-2004, 01:45 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like "Sci-Fivers.com," but then I was the one sent in that suggestion for the first poll. "Five-minute.com" works too.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm leaning toward the .com or maybe the .net right now.

I'm just kinda surprised Zeke isn't springing for something along the lines of www.mmmpie.com/ohyeahandherearethefivers.html

*runs*[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-20-2004, 02:42 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]The total for that would then be $17.95 per year.[/quoteost_uid0]
Or about $11.30 at MyDomain. (Edit: $11.30 CDN. $8.50 USD.)

*shrug*

I should take liquid's advice more often. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Long fellow

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hmmm... Can't vote. But I don't like the hyphen, because it makes it harder for me to tell my friends the URL. I just flat gave up with the 3sygma domain. This is a great opportunity to add hits with a simple domain name. But I agree that the hyphen looks better, aesthetically speaking.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I really dislike the hyphen too. It's a lot easier to tell people the url, and to remember it, if it's just one word. I hate sites that have dashes and other weird stuff in their urls.[/colorost_uid0]