The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2004, 03:42 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Today we've got a new fiver from Marc: "The Enemy." This is actually the first Next Gen fiver in over two months, to my surprise. Fortunately, you won't have to wait that long for the next one.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Romulan: No! I totally deny having a companion or engaging in espionage or even being on Galorndon Core!
Riker: We found you on the planet's surface!
Romulan: No you didn't.[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Picard: Of course. And just how many individuals were on that ship?
Tomalak: That depends. How many have you found?[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Tomalak: (on viewscreen) Then cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!
Data: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 1.
Tomalak: You cannot fully appreciate Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Romulan.[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Bochra: No, sir...and I told them nothing about the co-pilot who was with me or the secret spy mission we were on.
Tomalak: Excellent. It is fortunate we trained you to resist interrogation before we sent you on this assignment.[/quoteost_uid0]

:lol:

Way to go, Marc. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Riker: We weren't able to find La Forge before our beam-up window closed. He's lost somewhere on the planet.
Picard: This is grave development indeed. I don't suppose that the injured Romulan you brought back happens to be an unemployed engineer?
Riker: No such luck, I'm afraid.
[/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Wesley: ...so if we use a probe to send a portable neutrino-beam generator to the surface, Geordi will be able to detect it with his VISOR and modify the pulse to serve as a signal beacon that would let us know....
Data: Excuse me for interrupting, but I have picked up a signal indicating that a Romulan Warbird is entering the Neutral Zone and heading towards us.
Picard: Rarely has such bad news come at such a welcome moment. [/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]Bochra: Nonsense. Romulans don't have a nervous system. [/quoteost_uid0]

These were all hilarious, but this:

[quoteost_uid0]Picard: Mr. Worf, I beg you to volunteer to save the life of the Romulan so that we can avoid an incident that might lead to a war that would end civilization as we know it.
Worf: Are you ordering me to do so, sir?
Picard: No, I don't wish to place undue pressure on you.
[/quoteost_uid0]

...was hysterical! Â Â :lol: :lol:[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 02-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Bochra: Yes, but you should see how ridiculous your tricorder now looks.
La Forge: The last thing we need right now are lame jokes, Bochra.[/quoteost_uid0]
Great fiver, Marc.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just how long do we have to wait for another Voyager fiver? I thought this was 5M[bost_uid0]V[/bost_uid0], lol[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Just how long do we have to wait for another Voyager fiver?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah Zeke! Voyager fivers! :P don't make me start a riot.

Cause i'll do it.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]a riot? I dont think we have enough pitch forks to have a riot with, lol.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Meh, we have 17's Baguette, and someone could steal a Hammer of Smiting. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Guys, no problem with bringing this up, but let's keep this thread on the topic of Marc's excellent fiver, eh? 5MV Talk is the place to hassle me about [iost_uid0]Voyager[/iost_uid0].[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Today we've got a new fiver from Marc: "The Enemy." [/quoteost_uid0]

And today's bonus quiz question is: Can you spot the Dr Strangelove reference in the fiver?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]And today's bonus quiz question is: Can you spot the Dr Strangelove reference in the fiver?[/quoteost_uid0]

I'm going to say this:
[quoteost_uid0]La Forge: The more you keep denying everything, the more I'm convinced that you're here on an intelligence mission.
Bochra: That's not true!
La Forge: Case closed.[/quoteost_uid0]

There wasn't anything obvious, like "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room" or an image of somebody riding a nuclear bomb.

I noticed quite a few interfiver homages, including the [iost_uid0]p'taH/veruul[/iost_uid0] exchange and "We seem to have reached an impasse," as well as the one mentioned above.

What do I win?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-05-2004, 05:00 AM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]>> I'm going to say this: <<

Nope, that wasn't it. I'll provide a hint if nobody catches it in the next couple of days.

>> What do I win? <<

Well, the quiz only concerned Dr Strangelove, and the right answer hasn't come up yet, and in any case no prize was at stake except the honour (such as it is) of getting congratulations -- so, I regret to say nothing. Glad you caught the other reference jokes, however. Those are always fun to put into a fiver.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*unlurk*

Actually, I've been meaning to register and join in for some time - it's just that there seems to be an awful lot of other things to do. I know, I know, move "Register at 5MV forums and warm up a tupperware full of Chakotay jokes" up to the top of the list.

The reason I'm posting: The Strangelove reference is the line:

[quoteost_uid0][bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] I refuse to donate my precious bodily fluids to this Romulan [iost_uid0]pahtk[/iost_uid0]![/quoteost_uid0]

All in all: great fiver !

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Welcome Gatac -- and congratulations! Yes, it's an allusion to General Jack D. Ripper's theory that water fluoridation is a communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Marc"][color=#000000ost_uid0]water fluoridation is a communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]::Groans:: Take it from the Dental Hygienist. Water Flouridation is good for you! not only your teeth but your bones. You will not overdose on flouride with it, nor can you avoid flouride in water if you try. Most processed foods use water with flouride in it, plus flouride occurs naturaly in water anyways.

So drink it, and like it!

That is all. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Take it from the Dental Hygienist. Water Flouridation is good for you[/quoteost_uid0]

Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation.

Just teasing, Celeste. *wink*[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation.[/quoteost_uid0]
Chemist, or English Geek? [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Insert canine joke here

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Take is from the Chemist...it's spelled fluoridation[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Arrgh. And that is why I'm a sucky hygienist. lol[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Water Flouridation" is the process of adding flour to water as a first step in making bread and various other bakery products.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Arrgh. And that is why I'm a sucky hygienist[/quoteost_uid0]

S'OK. As Cat so gleefully pointed out (which means I can't fix it and pretend I never heard it), I made a typo while teasing your typo. Stupid poetic justice.

Uhh...back on topic. So...great fiver, Marc, even if it was heavy on borrowed jokes *wink* I suppose I should be flattered one of mine got sto^H^H^H paid homage to.[/colorost_uid0]