The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-19-2003, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So, I'm checking the headlines onTrekToday and I see "Enterpise nominated for two Hugo awards" and I think "Wow, which episodes?" And then I see that it was "Carbon Creek" and "A Night in Sickbay" and I think "Wow. What idiots."

Recall if you will that the Hugo is an award "The Visitor" failed to win, and now "A Night in Sickbay" (which I think we can all agree is not brilliant) has a chance?

No. Just...no.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Someone at TBBS said that in DS9's time, there was a single "Best Dramatic Presentation Award" for the combined field of TV and movies. That's changed by now.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 04-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That changes nothing. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What are Hugo awards for again?[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-20-2003, 01:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Celeste"]What are Hugo awards for again?[/quoteost_uid0]

Well...this is what TrekToday says:

[quoteost_uid0="TrekToday"]The Hugos, which celebrate their 50th anniversary this year, are awarded annually by the World Science Fiction Society to honour the best in genre literature, art and film-making.[/quoteost_uid0]

I'm suprised they didn't nominate Dead Stop.[/colorost_uid0]

Bears are crazy, they\'ll bite your head off if you\'re wearing steak on it.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]hmm, well that doesn't really explain much. But I would have thought there were a lot better episodes to nominate besides those two. Neither of those stories show any type of good Science Fiction story telling.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:39 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I wouldn't go that far. I would, however, seriously question the sanity of the nominating committee.

The most depressing part is that [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] really has no chance now, even though some of its material in 2002 was Hugo-level, or at least worthy of serious consideration. "Shockwave," "Dear Doctor," "Shuttlepod One", "Minefield"... that's the kind of material the series deserves to be recognized for. I'm not saying it should have won, necessarily -- [iost_uid0]Farscape[/iost_uid0] did good stuff in 2002 (if not its best), for example -- but it at least deserved a chance. But that would have meant putting its best foot forward, and for whatever reason, it hasn't been allowed to.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]If any episode this season should be nominated for a Hugo, I think I might put "A Night in Sickbay" in the running. It was more original than the average [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] episode (which isn't a dog on the show, but all things considered, it's often not terribly original). From a storytelling standpoint it was rather unique, and if I'm allowed to say so, [iost_uid0]I ENJOYED IT[/iost_uid0].

Now, "Carbon Creek" may not be worthy of a nomination, but I think "A Night In Sickbay" is as good a contender as anything.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!