The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My understanding comic-book-wise is that Iceman could freeze the water. Yes, he'd have to be in physical contact with it, but it could have been him outside instead of Jean. As for the momentum of the water, there are two possibilities. One, since everyone knew the dam was breaking well ahead of time, he could have frozen the water long before the dam actually broke. Two, my understanding is that his power is such that he could negate the momentum. Sure, the momentum would have to be converted into heat, but his powers would eliminate that side effect.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 04:03 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Iceman isn't powerful enough yet to take the force and weight of that much water. It takes time to chill the water. He'd be killed, and the Blackbird with him, whether with water or slush. I doubt he would be capable of freezing tons and tons of water that fast. Plus, you can't freeze something to a stop. The energy has to go somewhere. The water'd get cold but it'd still be moving with TREMENDOUS force.

Plus, freezing the water in the dam would have made the breaks worse: water expands when frozen. The cracks would have been wedged open further, allowing more water in, etc. Or he'd have had to freeze the lake, which wasn't doable.

Effectively, Jean was the only one who'd have been able to do anything FAST enough.

Plus, they were setting up the Phoenix angle for most of the movie. Her "death" was predetermined.

Actually, there's a major science gaffe with Iceman. You can't just MAKE ice. He'd have to condense water (or some other gas) out of the air or use an existence source of something, then draw the heat energy out psionically, thus condensing the water (or whatever) into a solid. Unless he's got some freaky sublimation powers or something.

Sa'ar, you're a chemist. Surely your degree will be of some help here. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 05:01 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Sa'ar, you're a chemist. Surely your degree will be of some help here. [/quoteost_uid0]

Indeed it is. It's useful for saying "Yeah, what she said."[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 07:17 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Perhaps she knew she'd survive, having been contacted by the Phoenix entity. That's what the shape under the water was, the fiery effect, the sudden shift in power, and probably the dreams mentioned as a "throwaway" by Cyclops.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah-hah! So I wasn't imagining the shape I saw in the water after all!! *does a little victory dance*[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Ah-hah! So I wasn't imagining the shape I saw in the water after all!! [/quoteost_uid0]

I was looking for it. The people I saw the movie with saw it too, 'cause I screamed "Phoenix! Phoenix!" in their ears.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, actually I was kind of expecting (okay, hoping!) to see something in the water, so when I thought I actually did see something part of me wondered if it were just wishful thinking. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 04:56 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I was going to mention how sad it is that you're all trying to explain the stuff that happened in terms of science and how ironic it is because of the whole 'mutant/comic-book' thing, but you know I don't think I will bother after all.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I was going to mention how sad it is that you're all trying to explain the stuff that happened in terms of science and how ironic it is because of the whole 'mutant/comic-book' thing, but you know I don't think I will bother after all.[/quoteost_uid0]

What, you don't think the increased ambient radiation from nuclear bomb tests could cause people to shoot force beams from their eyes or grow metal skins?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]For the earlier question of why Jean had to get out of the blackbird, it appeared that it was her powers which affected the blackbird's electronics in the first place. Notice that once she gets off, the systems are go again.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]For the earlier question of why Jean had to get out of the blackbird, it appeared that it was her powers which affected the blackbird's electronics in the first place. Notice that once she gets off, the systems are go again.[/quoteost_uid0]

You could be on to something here. I'd attributed it to bad writing.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Good point, ijdgaf. Hmmmmmm....

Nyer, Pointy. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"]I was going to mention how sad it is that you're all trying to explain the stuff that happened in terms of science and how ironic it is because of the whole 'mutant/comic-book' thing, but you know I don't think I will bother after all.[/quoteost_uid0]
When we first watched X-Men, we tried to actually figure out what kinds of mutation would be necessary to achieve all those phenotypic effects, but the only plausible types of mutation we could conceive were for Wolverine's healing powers, so we just gave up after a while an enjoyed the movie as it was [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-14-2003, 04:41 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Marrow's powers are pretty easy to figure out.

A considerable number of mutants' powers are psionically based, anyway.

Like Proteus, Mystique, etc...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Nan"][color=#000000ost_uid0]A considerable number of mutants' powers are psionically based, anyway.

Like Proteus, Mystique, etc...[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]How would Mystique's powers be psionically based? She manipulates your mind so that you see her as something else?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-15-2003, 02:05 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Psychokinesis. She can't change her mass, but she can change her shape to a limited degree. She moves her atoms around. Her morphing powers are not based on striated muscle or pigment cells or anything like that, although those may add to her abilities.

Telepathy wouldn't mean anything if she was caught on a simple videotape as a scaley blue woman instead of Senator Kelly. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]oic! Wowww, how does THAT work?

Maybe she's a founder [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]No idea. But the blue body makeup is cool INDEED.

I liked that, though Rebecca Romijn-Stamos was effectively naked, the camera kept the leering to a minimum.

(Brian Singer [bost_uid0]rules[/bost_uid0].)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay, it took me three fricking weeks, but I finally got out to see X2. And man, was it ever worth the wait. I was blown away.

Now, as to some of the stuff that's been raised already in this thread....
[*]Sweet, Jean's not dead? I knew it! However -- Pheonix? Zuh? I only sporadically watched the comics as a kid, and I never read the books. Somebody want to clue me in?
[*]I never thought of Jean herself affecting the systems on the Blackbird, but it makes perfect sense. Remember how she screwed with all the electronics in the museum at the beginning?
[*]I don't think Iceman freezing the water was a valid option. Sure, he probably could have done it before the dam burst, but they didn't have that opportunity -- by the time they actually got out of the base, the dam was already so close to bursting that it would have been suicide for Bobby to go near it. And Storm would have taken too long to do anything. I did expect Jean to just lift the jet, but where's the plot fun in that?
[*]My understanding is, like has already been said, Xavier is a telepath and doesn't have any telekinetic ability. (If he did, would he really need a wheelchair?) Jean's primarily telekinetic but has been developing her telepathic abilities more and more. So there was really very little the Professor could do to help her.
[*]One nitpick I got from previews that I'm glad wasn't an issue: Rogue and Iceman kissing. The first one, where she gets frosty breath, was just darn cool, but I'm glad they didn't sweep Rogue's inability to have physical contact under the rug. That would have been a real shame.

That all being dealt with: WOW. I can't remember ever having seen a sequel this good. (Mind you, X2 will probably only hold this title for me until the release of [iost_uid0]Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban[/iost_uid0] next summer, which will undoubtedly rock. ) The special effects were great, the new characters were added seamlessly, the action was spellbinding, and whenever there was a break in the action we got fantastic character development. I'd go see it again in a heartbeat.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-26-2003, 02:37 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Re: Jean.

Long story short: Jean makes a friend in a high, fiery place. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-26-2003, 06:52 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just watched it again, WOO! *ahem* Sorry. Another of my trademark pointless irrelevant posts. *sighs*[/colorost_uid0]