The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-22-2003, 03:08 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Kosst"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Also, despite Reloaded's greatness, I still think it had nothing on the lobby scene. That scene will live forever.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]The lobby scene from the original Matrix? That's the one part of the movie I can't stand. It was just so much gratuitous violence. All the rest of the violence felt like it had a purpose, but that scene was just empty.

Anyway, finally saw Reloaded today and so I am now reading this thread. ([bost_uid0]and posting spoilers[/bost_uid0])

I thought the movie wasn't that bad, but since I had heard many, many people pan the movie, I was not expecting anything wonderful.

- everything from the destruction of the power plant on
- the freeway scene (okay, okay, I just ranted about the lobby scene from the first one and here I am liking the freeway scene in this one. So sue me. I have no idea why I liked one and disliked the other.)

dislikes:
- Most of the shots of Zion, but especially the temple scene with Morpheus's speech followed by a massive celebration while Trinity and Neo have sex. Was there even a point to it? The whole time I was watching the scene I thought "Will this ever end? Why didn't they edit this out?" Perhaps Revolutions will bring it some meaning....
- Any monologue by any person other than the Architect; the french guy had a line or two worth hearing, but the speech as a whole was bland.

about the matrix in a matrix thing: Not a bad theory. To an extent, it would explain the tinting and Neo's powers, but I've heard enough about parallels between [iost_uid0]The Matrix[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]The Thirteenth Floor[/iost_uid0]. No need to add to them.

My brother watched the movie with me and he complained about how Neo was so invulnerable. At no point did he seem in any real danger and even his blood drops made no difference. I said that it pretty much had to be that way. Either Neo stays as invulnerable as he was in the first Matrix (maintaining continuity, but removing any element of danger), or he becomes vulnerable somehow (robbing the first Matrix of its meaning, but adding tension and danger), or they get to him in the real world (which they seemed to mainly stay out of, and when they did show him in the real world, he was able to use his Q powers there too).

Anyway, not a bad movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again and I look forward to Revolutions.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*spoilers - LOTS of spoilers*
The matrix-within-the-matrix seemed to be the point, I thought. What else could the Architect have been talking about, regarding an option to cover the last 1%, and Neo having a purpose, and the machines already having destroyed Zion five times? And why else would Neo be able to stop the machines in the real world, just like in the Matrix ("I can... feel them...").

My guess is that there are at least three Matrixes (Matrices? Matrixi?). The second one we've just been exposed to. But if that Matrix-within-a-Matrix is the final one - why on Earth do the machines need the One, why assign him a purpose? They could just start the whole world over again every hundred years or so. The One doesn't need to select the Zion refugees - certainly the machines can do that. It would work like this -

The Lower Matrix is for the common person, simulating "normal life."
Then there is the Middle Matrix, for the "1%" - the rebellious and dissatisfied, who would otherwise cause trouble in the lower Matrix. Instead, they are led to believe that they are freedom fighters, fighting for the human race; in fact, they are still in the hands of the machines.
And then there is the Upper Matrix. This is for people like Neo - people so phenomonal, supermen who could not possibly be content without his incredible struggle. And if Neo needs to be a superhero, he needs plot twists, because otherwise (for example - if he wins), he stops being special. So the Upper Matrix fulfills that need - allowing Neo to realize he is still in the Matrix (the Middle Matrix now), but still keeping him in the machines' clutches. The choice at the end is a wonderful example - the machines know by now that risking the entire human race to save Trinity, out of love, is *exactly* the kind of thing that Neo needs to be doing in order to retain his self-image.

Of course, if the "Real World" is really still the Matrix, all bets are off. We don't know *who* the controllers are - they could be machines, they could be humans, they could be three-legged orangutangs from Alpha Centauri. This could make for a very surprising ending.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot... very different from the original, of course. Now that Neo's beliefs about the nature of reality have been shaken up again, it is possible that the third movie will have more of the original's mysterious flavor.

The action scenes did begin to get tiresome after a while, though. I mean, practically Neo's [iost_uid0]definition[/iost_uid0] as the One is that he wins all the fights. So what's the point? The Morpheus and Trinity ones, on the other hand, had a bit more suspense. A bit.

What the movie *did* focus on, though you can really only see this in retrospect, is a casual examination of the way the Matrix works. It makes sense - last movie was mysterious, till the answers are revealed; now, we can explore some of the details. So we had all the programs - the Oracle, the Keymaker, and the rest. We had the remenants of previous versions of the Matrix - the Twins and werewolves and whatnot, providing explanation of the Matrix and the paranormal (great stuff for RPGs, btw). And the corridor of back doors. And so on.

So I'm looking forward to Revolutions... I particularly want to see what they do with the Agent Smiths (I'm a die-hard fan of clones and doubles). I hope it's something more interesting then "try to kill Neo."

Signing out, folks.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 05-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Just saw it.

My 8 word/concept review:

Really loved it. Bring on #3! Woo!

~Nan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That's only 7 words.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Not if you count "#". Especially if you read it out loud.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 05-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]For all with the capability/will to do so, you should be playing the game. It's entertaining enough, but there are certain plot points which help out (though certain others manage to irritate), and it gives a little bit better a picture of what the third film will be like.

Also, it would make a nice addition to the 5MVG page [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]dislikes:
- Most of the shots of Zion, but especially the temple scene with Morpheus's speech followed by a massive celebration while Trinity and Neo have sex. Was there even a point to it? The whole time I was watching the scene I thought "Will this ever end? Why didn't they edit this out?" Perhaps Revolutions will bring it some meaning....[/quoteost_uid0]
I really hate any sex/sexual scenes thrown into a movie with no purpose, however, I really thought this one fit. I may be way off, but I got a lot out of this scene. The big thing it said to me is "We are humans! We are not machines! We are not being controlled and we are free! We are alive!" Especially for people like Neo and Trinity that spend a lot of time in the Matrix, the need to feel alive and real has got to be overwhelming. Also, the desire to lose oneself in sex or music or dancing and just be, not thinking about all the problems. I felt the same as you when I first started watching this scene, but as I thought about it, it really made sense. I would agree that the scene was perhaps a tad long, but it made a solid impact that way.

The thing I disliked most about the movie was the scenes with their new operater (can't even remember his name which shows how much I didn't care about his character). I wish they had either left them out or done more with it because I really didn't care about him and the scenes with him and his woman seemed pointless to me (though funny). I cared more about that hanger-on guy that kept bugging Neo and crew.

The most confusing scenes were the ones where our heros were getting ready to get Neo into the core. They kept cutting back and forth from scenes that weren't happening at the same time, though I imagine a second viewing will make it a little easier.

Absolutely loved all the action scenes, when Neo was fighting the million Smiths it was just hilarious. I could see the directors planning that scene out. The architect scene was great as others have mentioned. The oracle was hilarious again, I love her character. This one also had more laugh-out-loud lines in it for me than the first one.

I can't wait to see who is lying, who is telling the truth, who is on who's side, what the heck is the guy who I think has Smith in him going to do, what happened to Neo, what is going on with the guy protecting the oracle, will we see the french guy again, and a million other questions. Thank goodness I don't have to wait a year![/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Quinalla"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Especially for people like Neo and Trinity that spend a lot of time in the Matrix, the need to feel alive and real has got to be overwhelming. Also, the desire to lose oneself in sex or music or dancing and just be, not thinking about all the problems. I felt the same as you when I first started watching this scene, but as I thought about it, it really made sense. I would agree that the scene was perhaps a tad long, but it made a solid impact that way.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Alright. From now on I'm taking you to the movies with me. That's a great analysis and it makes a lot more sense in that context. I still think it was long, but your explanation does make it more understandable. I just wish there would've been some sort of statement that underscored that theme while I was watching the movie. Then again, maybe it was mentioned in Morpheus's speech. I didn't find it compelling enough to listen to. I like Morpheus as the calm, subdued guy who speaks slowly and clearly rather than the shirtless fanatic who yells at a crowd on the verge of an orgy.

[quoteost_uid0]The thing I disliked most about the movie was the scenes with their new operater (can't even remember his name which shows how much I didn't care about his character). I wish they had either left them out or done more with it because I really didn't care about him and the scenes with him and his woman seemed pointless to me (though funny). I cared more about that hanger-on guy that kept bugging Neo and crew.[/quoteost_uid0]
Link is his name, if you care. I basically agree with you that it was pretty unexciting. In my opinion, so was the kid who hero-worshipped Neo. But neither of them raised any strong dislike from me either.

Did you hear that the actor who played Tank is suing the Wachowski Brothers for not rehiring him? They offered him a role, but when he asked for more money, they turned him down and hired Link. Stupid lawsuit-happy society.

[quoteost_uid0]The most confusing scenes were the ones where our heros were getting ready to get Neo into the core. They kept cutting back and forth from scenes that weren't happening at the same time, though I imagine a second viewing will make it a little easier.[/quoteost_uid0]
That threw me at first also. But once I noticed the power station from the beginning of the movie, things suddenly clicked for me.

[quoteost_uid0]Absolutely loved all the action scenes, when Neo was fighting the million Smiths it was just hilarious. I could see the directors planning that scene out.[/quoteost_uid0]
Honestly the Smiths scene got a little long for me at the end. I think it got that way when it became obvious that neither Neo nor the Smiths were in any real danger, nor would inflict any premanent damage on the other.

[quoteost_uid0]The oracle was hilarious again, I love her character.[/quoteost_uid0]
Unfortunately, the actress playing her is dead. They had shot all the scenes they needed for Reloaded but not Revolutions so I wouldn't count on seeing her much in Revolutions.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^They've got a new actress for the third movie and for the game (which is canon, btw). Explanation? The termination codes to her old shell were sold to the Merovingian by a couple of programs wishing to protect "the life of their child" (from the game).

...needless to say, we've got several months to wait for something more coherent.

Oh, and for those not in the know, The Animatrix releases this Tuesday (region 1 anyway). The anime shorts detail such things as the man/machine war and the creation of the matrix, the fate of the ship which discovered the sentinel army, and the story of "Kid" who followed Neo around Zion. What I've seen so far is quite good, so I for one plan to buy it.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:09 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I want to watch the Animatrix, I heard it was absolutely gorgeous. It IS going to be released on DVD, is it not? That's what I heard.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2003, 03:14 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There was just a commercial for it comming out on DVD on TV - so, I'd say that's a yes.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2003, 03:43 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]this Tuesday, like I said [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Know what else is coming out on DVD this Tuesday? [bost_uid0]DS9 Season 3[/bost_uid0]! Woohoo!

Anyone know how much Animatrix run for?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The DVD box sets are waaaaaaay too expensive for me to buy. I'm just going to have to wait till DS9 gets out on TNN in 2004 to see them. ::major sigh:: Unless someone wants to get them for me! [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Oh, and for those not in the know, The Animatrix releases this Tuesday (region 1 anyway). The anime shorts detail such things as the man/machine war and the creation of the matrix, the fate of the ship which discovered the sentinel army, and the story of "Kid" who followed Neo around Zion. What I've seen so far is quite good, so I for one plan to buy it.[/quoteost_uid0]

i've already seen animatrix. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:19 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Channel 5 actually showed one of the [iost_uid0]Animatrix[/iost_uid0] shorts not that long ago - I think it was called [iost_uid0]Last Flight of the Osiris[/iost_uid0]. The quality was just superb. I definately would buy the DVD if I could.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Cursory

Send a message via MSN to Draknek

[color=#000000ost_uid0]And there's another one tonight: 12:30 - 12:40, on Ch5 again.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-30-2003, 08:07 PM

[quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Channel 5 actually showed one of the [iost_uid0]Animatrix[/iost_uid0] shorts not that long ago - I think it was called [iost_uid0]Last Flight of the Osiris[/iost_uid0]. The quality was just superb. I definately would buy the DVD if I could.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's called [iost_uid0]Final Flight of the Osiris[/iost_uid0], and it's definitely the best one of the episodes (both plot and animation). Too bad they weren't all that good. (though still good)[/colorost_uid0]

There are thre erors in this sentence.

Be kind to other people. We outnumber you six billion to one.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I haven't seen [iost_uid0]Reloaded[/iost_uid0], but I thought I'd drop by to greet our new members, [bost_uid0]catalina_marina[/bost_uid0] and [bost_uid0]Kodu[/bost_uid0]. Welcome to the boards, guys; hope you enjoy it here. (Well, Catalina clearly will... she's up to 21 posts in six days. Yowza.)[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]tnx zeke! i really do enjoy :smile:

[quoteost_uid0]It's called Final Flight of the Osiris, and it's definitely the best one of the episodes (both plot and animation). Too bad they weren't all that good. (though still good)[/quoteost_uid0]

i totally agree too bad really, that they're so short.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.