The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 01-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

The US has some nice places to visit you know. Including the worlds largest hole in the ground, and some dead guys faces carved into the side of a mountain.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
You just activated his Trek card

If YOU want American Supremacy. Quote me correctly, please. I don't, necessarily. I'd be satisfied with English language supremacy and a universal measuring system.

Maverick, most of your "second-largest country" is snowy wasteland, just like Russia. Maybe someone could look up the largest "habitable area" country.

Valium, it's NTG! I will beat this dead horse until everyone complies or I'M dead. Infinite Improbability as a name only exists as an ancient holdover. Within actual messages it's Nate, Nate the Great, NTG, Infinite Improbability (as a full name), Triforce, Infinity, NateDawg (guys from high school), any of these things. II is Roman for two. I am not a two.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
If YOU want American Supremacy. Quote me correctly, please.
He did. You said "if YOU want", and he interpreted that "you" to mean "him", since you were addressing him. Of course, you could have meant "you" to mean "I", meaning you, which might make a bit of sense.

Quote:
I'd be satisfied with English language supremacy and a universal measuring system.
There already is one. You just can't be arsed to use it.

All hail Esperanto! *snicker*
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Hey! We have the polar bear capital of the world up there! It's no wasteland!

...What's wrong with snow? It's still on the land, and I believe that is what counts towards size, after all. We're bigger than you, and we're on top! If Earth was a prison...fill-in-the-blank. ;p

Esperanto: the language of the future.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Maverick: I have no idea why Russia. I just want to see it. And maybe knock a few chunks off so we can take our rightful place as largest country in the world!
NTG: "Rightful place?" If you want American supremacy...

I meant Maverick (in a vague sort of way).

There's nothing wrong with snow, it just shouldn't count in the final tally of a country's size, at least where bragging rights are concerned.

Sa'ar: He did. You said "if YOU want", and he interpreted that "you" to mean "him", since you were addressing him. Of course, you could have meant "you" to mean "I", meaning you, which might make a bit of sense.

Was that supposed to make sense?

SI/metric isn't universal because Americans don't use it. That's the point.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

The Americans are not the universe. It's not universal because the ALIENS don't use it. Duh.

Snow counts. S'all I'm saying. You'd get pretty much every Canadian (except native Vancouverites maybe) agreeing if you marched into an open space (like Saskatchewan) and yelled 'snow sucks!' But if you said 'it also means the land it's on doesn't count!' you'd get a lot of arguments. And pitchforks. Mind you, that's what you'd get for going to Saskatchewan in the first place.

And in December, 95% of Canada is snow. Does that mean only the Lower Mainland counts as Canadian land in December? Or it the rest supposedly uninhabitable just because there's no cities there? We could put cities there, but that would ruin the beauty of nature.

I am also amused about how people started taking my jokes so seriously. You seem to not realize sarcasm is my default inflection, especially with the ridiculous statements I make on caffeine when not fully awake.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZer0 View Post
The Americans are not the universe.
No. We're not claiming Nate, either. In fact, you can have him... cheap.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Until extraterrestrial life is proven to exist, they don't matter in the universal tally.

Snow does not mean "doesn't count." It's the "snow all the time, so you can't use it productively for anything" that counts. Winter snow is periodic, and the land that it falls on in more temperate regions is useful. Snow in upland Canada is more permanent, and much less useful in the greater scheme of things.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Staff

Quote:
Was that supposed to make sense?
No, which was exactly my point. *snicker*

Quote:
And in December, 95% of Canada is snow.
Not this past December. Most of the East had a green Christmas. You might have missed it while your power was out during one of the 347 ginormous windstorms that blew threw the Lower Mainland. The BC Interior was one of the few places that had a white Christmas, which is all sorts of bizarre.

Quote:
Snow in upland Canada is more permanent, and much less useful in the greater scheme of things.
There are trees and oil and uranium up there. The tree line (ie, northernmost limit at which you find trees) is a lot farther north than you seem to realise - it vague follows the Nunavut border. There's a lot of habitable land up there, we just don't have enough people to exploit it.

So nyah. :P How about all that desert you've got in the Southwest?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
How about all that desert you've got in the Southwest?
That would be mine.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Valium, it's NTG!
You want *me* to call *you* 'Great'? Mmmm...no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
I will beat this dead horse until everyone complies or I'M dead.
So long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
II is Roman for two. I am not a two.
Ha! What gibberish. And your new name, Number Two.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM

Sabrina Spellman: What's with the sudden obsession with pronouns?

347 storms? Where'd you read that?

Uh, the actual tree line isn't particularly useful. I'd be more interested in the "lumberable" tree line, which is much further south.

There are all sorts of acceptable aliases on the list that don't involve Great, please use one of them if you feel the need. After all, Nan isn't quite a Romulan either, is she? Nor is Valium a Chancellor.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Seriously? Yes, there were a lot of windstorms here. I also don't keep up on the weather that isn't right outside. That is all kinds of messed-up and freaky.

We don't want Nate. You guys keep him, or throw him to Mexico or something.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Staff

Quote:
347 storms? Where'd you read that?
I kept count as they rolled through and I read about them on the news, and then I made up a number with 47 in it. :P

The "you" in my previous post regarding this was addressed to Maverick. I haven't quite figured out how to quote so that the quotee's name appears with it. I'm getting old, and this newfangled technology confuses me. In my day, we downloaded out mail from bulletin boards and read it offline. Back then, the Internet was steam-powered, and information was carried by ants in little glass tubes.

I appear to have gotten off-topic.

Quote:
Uh, the actual tree line isn't particularly useful. I'd be more interested in the "lumberable" tree line, which is much further south.
Surely there's a huge market for ornamental dwarf tree-bushes. Anyway, even if you can't sell it for lumber, you can still run a trapline through it, and the number of trees on top of it doesn't affect the vast mineral resources underneath it. Can I offer you a polar bear diamond?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
The "you" in my previous post regarding this was addressed to Maverick. I haven't quite figured out how to quote so that the quotee's name appears with it.
If you use the "Quote" button at the bottom of the post to be quoted, you'll note that in the text window, the quoted post, before editing, starts with something like this:
Code:
[QUOTE=Sa'ar Chasm;71864]
The first part (QUOTE=) designates the name of the poster being quoted -- in this case, you -- and causes it to appear thus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
The number following the semicolon is the discrete ID for that post which is being quoted. It allows that little arrow ( ) within the quote box to take you back to the post from whence it came, should that be desirable.

The above applies to vBulletin software as implemented here. Other software at other BBS-type boards may differ in one minor detail or another, but they all end up looking pretty much the same, in the end.

Disclaimer: Now would be an opportune time, for anyone who wishes, to come barging in to point out where I've gotten it all wrong.

Last edited by mudshark; 01-09-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

Well, I've thought over this, and I have a response.

Personal favorite ideas for single person vacations:
22-24th century, anywhere other than an active combat zone, anytime other than open war.
In real possibility, Wonderfest in Lousiville, various other Trek/Wars/Sci-fi stuff, basically, if it's nerdy or geeky, I'm there. Except that I can't drive without a licensed driver in the passenger seat, for now. Dang.

In a group trip, a cruise in the Carribean or the Atlantic or the Pacific or in Alaska or something OR an excursion trip by rail, Canada, US, Europe, whatever. Amtrak, whatever. Trains without sleeper cars or some form of internet access need not apply. I like spending time with friends and family without having to worry about being on the right highway, or missing an exit, or finding our Motel, or whether the meals will come, then being lulled to sleep whenever I want by the rythym of the rails. It's sappy, but it's pretty much the truth.

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM

"I appear to have gotten off-topic" will go down in the annuals of fiverdom as the official motto of the 5M.net forums, mark my words.

Hey, a new subset question! Taking away Trek, Wars, Who, and B5, what scifi universe would you want to vacation in, assuring safety, translation, etc. I'm looking for some more obscure ideas here.

If you want travel that structured, take a plane or a cruise. I personally find a few unexpected events add spice to a trip. Positive ones, of course.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Suuuuuper genius

Safety's boring. Besides, isn't Whoverse supposed to be kind of our universe? If you didn't get to travel with the Doctor, what's the point?
Wars is just...no. Same for B5.

...Can I vacation in cartoon world, where you can hit someone with a giant mallet and they're still okay after? Otherwise I pick Trek for the holodecks, replicators, and 40% possibility of time and/or parallel universe travel.

Of course, too much Stargate makes me go 'Replicators! Aah! Kill!' but it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Whoverse? My inner self quips that that should be Seussverse (go Horton!), but moving on...

Who says you couldn't travel with Doctor Who ("The Doctor" is reserved for Holodoc in my book)?

A visit to the Stargate universe would by necessity not include Replicators, given that I guaranteed safety. That, or else we'd have impenetrable forcefields so we could observe them.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Suuuuuper genius

But safety's no fuuuuun! I'd rather do cool stuff than be safe. And play around with neat gadgets. That's where Trek would come in. But I didn't know Stargate was an option.

I pick Atlantis, and to heck with the Wraith. Maybe I'd have the Ancient gene.